• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky in other rooms playing up - Magic Eye

BlueNose66

Standard Member
Hi Folks I am hoping someone can please help me on this.

Have been using the magic eyes on my screen downstairs and also upstairs also, recently the downstairs will all of a sudden lose the sound and starts hissing very loudly, whilst the upstairs will lose the sound competely, the only way to rectify is to put the sky+ HD box on standby (Had a new box installed Sept last year).

Also noticed that the sound upstairs is very poor.

One thing I have noticed is when I am watching Sky Sports 1 HD, when they go to adverts and the Sky Sports HD1 spalsh screen appears, that tends to set it off.

The set up of these two devices is to the wall plate for the arial, I have a box up in the loft where the sky signal goes into and pushes out the wall plates around the house.

Has anyone seen these issue before, even though I have mentioned Sky Sports 1, this can happen on any channel, either live or recorded programs.

Thanks in advance.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
First off forget about the Eyes - they only carry remote signals back to the Sky box.

How is your downstairs "screen" connected to the Sky box, HDMI/SCART/RF?

logiciel

There shouldn't be a "magic eye" on the screen downstairs, but do concentrate on that TV first.

logiciel

If it is then the cabinet will be handy for frying eggs.

BlueNose66

Standard Member
Hi Folks,

The sky box is upstairs on another TV, that is connected via HDMI, the connections to the other two are on the magic eye, the Sky Box is on a AV Stand with the small wireless box sitting on it.

The screen downstairs the cable comes from the wall, into a Humax box and the eye is on that, then into the TV, the Humax is connected via HDMI into the TV downstairs.

Thanks

Last edited:

logiciel

As S N said the "magic eyes" are only for sending remote control, through a co-axial cable, back to the satellite machine from the locations of any extension TVs.
The channel that's currently selected on a Sky machine is sent from tie RF2 Out socket, or the channel that's currently selected on a FS machine is sent from a modulator, either of them by the same cable which returns the remote control, to TVs in other locations.
Your mention of a "wireless box" suggests that you don't have that cabled system.
Could you confirm that, one way or the other?

Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
The sky box is upstairs on another TV, that is connected via HDMI, the connections to the other two are on the magic eye......

Good to have all the information.......:mad:

Where did you purchase the "other" TV's abroad, perhaps?

BlueNose66

Standard Member
The TV that the Sky box is connected to is a Samsung LCD (don't know the model), the other two TV's that have the eye connected are also Samsungs, this setup has wroked for years but recently have had the issues.

Only have one SKY HD+ box, connected to the TV (Samsung) via HDMI Cable, RF2 is swtched on the Sky Box, red lights are on the magic eye connector when it has its issues.

logiciel

That RF2 is switched on suggests that you're using a co-axial cable from its socket.
If so, how does it connect to two TVs, and what is that "wireless box"?

BlueNose66

Standard Member
The coax goes up into the loft into a "box" - didn't install this myself, this then splits out and feeds the other two TV's through the cabling that was already installed in the house, then there is a coax cable plugged into the face plate and into the devices attached to the TV's.

Think the "wireless box" is confusing the issue here, as I have switched that off, it is the box you can buy from sky for on demand programs, as my router is in another room and this wireless box connects to my router to pull progs down.

logiciel

OK, thanks for the details, as they take the Sky wireless connector out of the matter altogether.
Now for those "devices" between the wallplates and the TVs - what are they?
You mentioned a "humax box" so presumably that's one of them.
What exactly is it and why is it involved in the system?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
You mentioned a "humax box" so presumably that's one of them.
What exactly is it and why is it involved in the system?

Er, a Freeview box?

The whole thing suggests to me that that the "extra" TV's are not set to PAL I.

logiciel

Yes, but:
the cable comes from the wall, into a Humax box and the eye is on that
:confused:
And the problem is relatively new so the TVs must have been set correctly and couldn't change themselves.

Last edited:

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
It sounds very much as if either the RF cabling connections have become corroded and are making poor connections or that the loftbox is failing or the Sky box RF output is failing. These are listed in order of likelihood.

The hissing sound is due to the TV losing tune on the RF channel.

To determine which first check all plugs on the RF cabling - if they are not soldered then remove the plugs and refit them. To check the loftbox try connecting the input cable direct to one of the outputs. To check the Sky box would require swapping it temporarily for a known working box.

MartinPickering

The hissing sound is due to the TV losing tune on the RF channel.

I concur and it has something to do with the "splash screen" affecting the sync pulses on the PAL signal. (I would expect the TV to lose colour when the sound goes hissy.)

However, this whole discussion is way too convoluted and I'm not sure whether we're discussing a Digibox fault or a TV fault. (If ALL TVs are affected the same way, then it's most likely to be a Digibox fault. Check by substituting another.)

I think it's unlikely to have anything to do with cables or connections.

BlueNose66

Standard Member
Hi folks,

Thanks for the replys, as the the two posters have come up with a couple of replys that I think could go someway to sorting the issue, I feel that it is a problem with the box in the loft or more likely an issue with the digibox as the same thing happens on both screens attached to the system through the coax, the sky boxes seemed to be poorly made these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom