Sky in MCE, how good is it?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by zeogo, May 5, 2007.

1. zeogo

zeogo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used to be quite well informed on the whole sky in MCE setup but I havent read that thread that's stickied here for a while so if someone could up-to-date me on these issues that would be great.
    1. How smooth is the overall experience, is channel changing as fast as a sky box?
    2. Last time I checked setup was a bitch, is the process of linking channels with the EPG still such a complicated and repetitive task?

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    With FloppyDTV tuners & Vista the setup is now very straightforward & stable. Channel changing is fast so it is possible to Channel Up/Down to surf.
    Setting up FloppyDTV is quite trasnparent. Setting up the guide is still a bit of a pain but in Vista all the instability & appearing/disappearing channels has been fixed so once you have all the listings linked to the correct channel then they stay linked.

3. nsx2050

nsx2050
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to have second subscription for the pc, as you normally have to have your phone line connected. And how do you get the dual tuner feature of sky+ and hd channels in mce.

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    You do not have to have a phone line connected unless you have a multiroom subscription when it is checked to ensure that your two digiboxes are connected to the same phone line.

HD is not possible within MCE outside the US.

Dual tuner (Sky+) features requires two cards. OK if it is 2x20 pound FTV card. Not so good if it is a subscription card. It is reported that Diablo Wireless CAMs will allow you to share one card between two or three tuners.

5. zeogo

zeogo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard quite a bit about people saying that the audio on a lot of the music channels doesn't work, is this still true and is it a universal problem or does it only occur with one specific satellite card?

Also, which is the better system overall? FloppyDTV or Technotrend? Technotrend is a lot cheaper and I can experiment with it before splashing out on the CAM and CI.

One last thing, I have a good idea of the overall configuration process of the FloppyDTV system, however one thing that still puzzles me is the matching of the channels with the EPG listings. Do you still have to copy down all that info from lyngsat?

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The issue is specific to MCE as there is no mechanism for choosing a particular audio track & the default for certain music channels is not English so MTV UK is OK but VH1 is not. With other software like DVBViewer you can choose which audio track you want.

For use in MCE the FloppyDTV solution is now by far the best. For use outside MCE e.g. with DVBViewer then the TT S2-3200 is very good & much cheaper it also does DVB-S2 HD.

It's all pre-configured for you with FloppyDTV & decryption is automatic & transparent. Matching of channel names to EPG data is doen with the MCE interface.

7. zeogo

zeogo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's really very cool!:thumbsup: Have the FloppyDTV team promised any sort of fix for multiple audio streams in MCE in the near future? Also, is that the only real flaw with the FloppyDTV MCE system?

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    It's not something that the FloppyDTV guys can fix. It is a Media Center problem with handling multiple audio streams. Here is a discussion on the problem in the blog of Aaron Stebner one of the MCE devlopers http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/11/15/493259.aspx

FloppyDTV in Vista MCE seems very stable once set up.

9. djwicked74

djwicked74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Use MediaPortal it's better for DVB-S - period.
    The EPG import is better.
    You can scan in all the channels.
    Alot of the MCE restrictions are lifted.

DJWicked74

10. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I last looked at Media Portal ages ago when they were just starting DVB-S support but found it terribly unstable at that time. It might be worth another look. I don't have a problem with the MCE EPG as I just use the Sky one. I assume that Media portal uses XMLTV so there would be no series linking which is one of the nice features of MCE.