Sky in MADRID... 2 dishes a solution?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Boy Lex, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - just come back from my hols and looking for thoughts on this...

My sister has emmagrated to Spain and wants to watch english telly... She's actually not so interested in Sky - she just wants to watch beeb and free channels.

Now as I understand, you can get sky working in Madrid with around an 80 to 90 cm dish, but you get problems with beeb channels because of the astra (2d?) footprint. According to certain sites, she'd need a 3m wide dish!! :eek:

Now I've just come back from andorra (great skiing! :D ) and noticed a few places with a couple of dishes on the side and wondered if anyone had had any luck doing this...

1 80 cm dish pointed in the usual place to receive sky... a second (maybe my spare minidish) dish fed through a splitter to the sky box, pointed at a position necessary to receive the beeb.

If this would work, I think she'll have a much easier time convincing the landlord to let her do it!

Thoughts please...!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can't combine dish outputs to boost the signal. It would not work.

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough! Looks like we're going to have some fun getting a 3m wide dish on the roof then!!

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Maybe you can do a deal with the neighbours and split the feed between apartments ? (assuming that there's other Brits living there, of course !) :)

5. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A 1.2 metre dish will receive sky ok (including all BBC channels) on the Costa del Sol which is much further south than Madrid, so an 80-90cm dish may be ok. She'll need to contact a local installer anyway, they will be able to advise.

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure there aren't any brits there - she's fully immeresed herself and is now spanish!!!! I figured 80-90cms would be ok, but my research on the 2d footprint said 3m for Madrid!

Just been doing a little more homework and it looks as tho 120cms should do it comfortably. I would get her to get a bona fide engineer, but I think she's probably going to get me to go down for the weekend sometime and stick it up for her. Should be fun anyway!

7. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Very, very hit and miss reception with a 1.2m in that part of the world. More miss than hit. :)

A good 1.8m works well on the Costa Blanca :cool:

A. Dork