Sky+ in bedroom

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by adriandg, Apr 24, 2007.

1. adriandg

adriandg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys

I recently upgraded from Sky+ & multiroom to Sky HD with multiroom. Which left me with a spare sky+ box.

About a week later my multiroom box broke, so rather than pay another forty odd quid for another digibox I thought I'd use the old sky+ box, not expecting to be able to use any of the sky+ functions.

When I plugged it in I found I could use the live pause and rewind function but obviously couldn't record to programs as I have only one input. What I was wondering was if I used a splitter such as this one:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-Cable-S...28QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4693QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and split the signal to the back of the sky+ box would I be able to use the full functionality? Also if I did this would I degrade the signal too much by splitting it? Also what are thew names of the screw adaptors that sky use to connect the signal cable to the back of the boxes?

Cheers

2. magoo1

magoo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Why dont you just run another cable from the LNB to your multiroom box - then you'd have full sky+ functionality. There are four outputs on a standard Sky+ LNB so unless you're already using all four somehow you should be well sorted. All you need is some good quality satellite grade co-axial cable and a couple of screw on f-connectors. oh yeah - and some self amalgamating tape to waterproof the connection at the LNB. Job's a doddle!!:thumbsup:

3. adriandg

adriandg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ye was thinking of doing that. But I thought that splitting the the cable at the back of the box would be easier than getting ladders out etc.

If this doesn't work then that's what I'll do. What is and where would I get self amalgamating tape from?

Cheers

4. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can gets lots of stuff for connections here and they are good. http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm amalgamating tape near the bottom, 2p an inch you only need about 4inches it stretches a lot.

5. magoo1

magoo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Actually I don't think the cable splitter will work - what if you want to record two channels that are polarised differently? get the ladder out and do the job properly!

Self amalgamating tape does exactly what it says - wrap it round the f-connectoe while stretching it very slightly and it slowly welds itself to itself and forms a waterproof impermeable barrier. should you ever need to undo the connector you have to cut the tape off and start again.

6. adriandg

adriandg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info. I will try the splitter first. If it doesn't work I'll be up the ladder!!

7. addinuff

addinuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah cool, so if I'm reading this thread correctly I can.....

Have Sky+ and Multiroom, and have a sky+ downstairs with full recording features and a Sky+ upstairs with full recording features and x2 feeds to each box from my LNB and only pay for 1 lot of subscription + £10 multiroom?

Oh and is this legal or done "on the side"

Thanks.