Sky in Bedroom via living room

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I got a tv yesterday for the bedroom and would like to know if I can run my sky sub from the living room into the bedroom via the wall plate? I have one connection on the wall plate in the bedroom.

I would also like to know if it's possible for example for me to watch football and my wife to watch her soaps in each room?

If so, can anyone advise what I may need to buy.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1441010377355.jpg
    1441010377355.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 47
Hi. You sound like a candidate for Sky multiroom. They'll do the installation and provide the additional machine for it. It costs about 10 a month.

Hi,

I don't want to pay the extra for it given it will only be now and again. It's mainly if the wife is watching soaps and I want to watch football.

Could I not split the feed?

If you want two different channels then it's only multiroom.
If not then it's either a wireless sender or a cable between the rooms.

Multiroom requires one or two connections direct to the dish and a second receiver.
Not multiroom requires either wireless or cable.

So could I not do this.....

Buy a manual lnb switch then feed my main source which is a HTPC. Then feed another box and use the switch when wanting to watch in bedroom and switch back if wanting to record.

If that makes sense.

Not entirely!
More detail required.

If you have 2 boxes however you feed them you will need 2 cards. If you have 2 cards you either have multiroom or 2 separate subs.

You will only need two cards if both channels you want to watch are subscription channels. A lot of the major soaps are on the FTA (subscription free) channels (BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five plus others) so would not need a card. In this case a cable from the dish/or main room to a freesat box, Sky box without subscription or any other FTA capable receiver would allow simultaneous watching of a subscription and a FTA channel in separate rooms. The feed from the main room could come from a switch that switches an lnb feed between second input on Sky box and bedroom - this would allow normal full use of recording features when bedroom box is not in use.

You will only need two cards if both channels you want to watch are subscription channels. A lot of the major soaps are on the FTA (subscription free) channels (BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five plus others) so would not need a card. In this case a cable from the dish/or main room to a freesat box, Sky box without subscription or any other FTA capable receiver would allow simultaneous watching of a subscription and a FTA channel in separate rooms. The feed from the main room could come from a switch that switches an lnb feed between second input on Sky box and bedroom - this would allow normal full use of recording features when bedroom box is not in use.

True of course.
But I believe in the OPs case there is a sky box in the lounge where the misses wants to watch soaps and he wants football in the bedroom. So he would need another sky box there and borrowing the card from the lounge won't work as with sports channels the card is paired to the box.

Buy a manual lnb switch then feed my main source which is a HTPC. Then feed another box and use the switch when wanting to watch in bedroom and switch back if wanting to record.
Surely this will work with limitations, one of which he has mentioned about record. He presumably has two dish feeds to the box that is running his current HCTV setup. If he takes one of the feeds, uses a switch to switch it to the bedroom box, he will then be able to get a single Sky signal in both rooms. His wife would then be able to watch the main soaps on either (no card required for BBC/ITV), and he would be able to watch the footie on the box to which his card is paired? As he seems to have suggested.
Why won't that work?

His faceplate also suggests a TV output, so he could use Freeview to watch the soaps and a Sky box to watch the footie, assuming that one of his displays (TVs) has a Freeview tuner.

Last edited:
Still waiting for more detail!

Then specify exactly what 'more detail' you require. Or explain why he can't do what he seems to suggest in post#8:)

For example, whether he wants to watch and record two subscription channels.

Agreed, but is that the only downside? In his requirements he specified soaps and footie. Ah Ha, he also said 'Each Room', which won't work without two cards (as I understand it), then
Post #2 :)Hi. You sound like a candidate for Sky multiroom. They'll do the installation and provide the additional machine for it.
For example, whether he wants to watch and record two subscription channels.
He has already indicated that he realises the recording limitation. (Post #8)

You're too clever for me!:laugh:

Further reading into this, I understand there will be limitations due to the bands? Is that correct.

It's ok splitting the feed and using a manual switch, however that does not mean I can watch sky sports f1 and she can watch sky sports 1 right?

I think the easiest way might just be to use Freeview, however I would like the full works in the bedroom.

I do not want to record anything in the bedroom btw, 9 times out of 10 we both watch the same stuff, it's just of a weekend when football may be on.

Bands?
Without multiroom it's strictly one programme at a time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom