1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ in apartment - single feed

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cajshark, Mar 14, 2005.

1. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the usual problem of living in an apartment with a single feed from a communal dish. I cannot erect another dish and have no access to the communal dish. I would like to use sky+, but would be happy to only have access to one sky channel at a time. I just really want to use it as a recorder when I am away. Is this possible to use sky+ with a single feed if you do not need to record one channel while watching another? Thanks for any help.

2. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yes, you can still pause/rewind/record TV etc just not record 1 channel while watching another.

3. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - that is exactly what I had hoped.

4. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now received my sky+ box and can record the channel I am watching, but cannot get it to auto record programs. I have the single feed into input 1. Should I split this input into both inputs?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No definitely not ! Without the second input I doubt whether you will be able to auto record, because the EPG uses a second feed. If you short the two inputs, not only will the box not work properly, but you could damage it.

6. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How could this damage the box....?
    Surely the 2nd input would select the channel to record while the first input is idle?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    do you have Sky+ subscription?

8. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I do.

Most of the standard features work pause rewind record etc. But when you set the box to record a channel it is not already on it will not change to it and record. I guess it is trying to set the channel on the second feed.

Any ideas you have would be appreciated. :confused:

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Sky+ box sends control signals to the LNB (receivers) on the dish to select which satellite band to recieve, which polarization to switch to, and this is done by sending different DC voltages and audio frequency tones down each cable. If you short the two inputs, then these commands will become mixed up, and input 1 will end up controlling input 2, and vice versa. Also, because these control signals are DC voltages, you stand a good chance of damaging the box by shorting them together.

10. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help.

If I connect my single feed to input 2 the recording will work correctly and switch to the correct channel. When I am not recording, however this leaves me unable to watch sky. I think what I need is both inputs connected to my one feed, but have a switch between them to switch between normal viewing and when I am out and want to record channels. How does that sound? This would mean the two inputs are not physically shorted.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you can get a switch for multi dishes, kind of sort of thing you need, communal system work fine with the Sky+ boxes and as far as i know using a Quad and Multiswitch dont use the LND control as the switch puts all 4 down a single cable.......Starburst may know more...

12. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of a piece of hardware that would take the F-connector from the satellite feed and split it into 2 signals and also has a switch to select which of these outputs the signal is supplied to?

13. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cajshark

As you have already discovered the Sky+ records predominantly on input 2 and views on input 1. If you do a search on this issue you may find one solution is to set up dummy recordings so that you are recording two programs at the same time. I think the one that starts second will get recorded from input 1.

Might be worth a try.

Wackojacko32

14. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas

I am left with 3 possible options.

1/ Get access to my communal dish and use a stacker/destacker on my single feed. Expensive!

2/ Use a spiltter with only one dc pass circuit. Dodgy?

3/ Try the dummy record option to try to force recording on input 1. Worth a try?

15. cajshark

cajshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you all know. I tried option 3 as it was quick and easy and have found that (so far) it works. Box is fooled into thinking it is recording something on input2 and any real recordings I set up are done on input1. The box now auto switches to the correct channel to record on input1.

Thanks for all of the help. :clap:

16. Litch

Litch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I too only have one feed to my sky + box (until I move in 2 months)

I have set up the dummy recordings to fool the box into recording the right program though feed one. All is well I thought until I tried to play back the recording. The recording is there but after 2secs of play back a message appears that tells me no signal is being received and playback stops :(

Any ideas on how to get round this?

Many thanks

17. marty123

marty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is painful to read! I can feel your pain with flats with a communal dish! :mad:

18. Litch

Litch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have overcome my problem by forcing a software update on the sky + box

Here is the instuctions on how to do so.

Now I can record programs using just my one feed and watch them back in full :D no more "no signal is being received" messages.

Doing the HDD upgrade tonight (160GB) fingers crossed

19. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Without knowing too many of the details of how it was done (satellite is not my forte at all), I also live in a communal block and have had a fully functioning sky+ set up for about 2 years. As per most flats, there is one feed per flat so I always assumed it was impossible. However, I asked the company who manages the communal installation (check with the managing agent) if there was anything they could do and they installed a stacker/de-stacker. The stacker is fitted in the central setup (I haven't seen it, but I would guess where the main feed from dish goes to the amplifier/distributer for all flats), with the de-stacker in your flat (very small box). You do not need another run of cable to the flat, although the main dish does need to have a twin or quad LNB. It is definately not a splitter, as I was fully aware that the different voltages might damage the digibox.

In anycase, my sky+ setup works perfectly - records 2 channels at once etc. Stacker/De-stacker cost around £80 from memory, with maybe £60 installation. I've seen other references to this a few times recently - try a search either on the forums or the web.

20. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    klnc, would you be able to pm me your installers contact information please?

Cheers

Rich

21. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    you have mail...

22. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    this is such a great thread.

Was wondering if i could get a sky + box installed in my flat with one feed. Looks like i can with these post.

Now i just need to find a second hand box - anyone got any ideas apart from flebay?

Thanks

Dal

23. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. Our flats are just about to get round to installing a communal system and will probably demand I take down my dish, and I'll lose Sky+ unless I can convince them to do something compatible.

Community Vision are currently inline to do this work but have said that they will not install stacker/destackers. Why isn't clear. Who were your installers, or who runs the communal system, maybe I can get our Residents Association to use them instead.

24. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I;m sure he wouldn't mind, but without knowing the rules, don't think i should be advertising his company on a public forum, hence the PM...

still amazed that this offered more widely as seems such a simple solution to a problem that obviously affects anyone living in a communal block of flats...

good luck.

25. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Is this still working wonders??? found someone with a spare sky+ box for £90.00 and not sure whether to go for it or not.

Are you still able to record and playback ok using the dummy idea??

Thanks

Dal

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Most installers that have posted here have insisted that stacker/destackers are a load of rubbish and will not install them.

27. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    had mine for 2 years and it works perfectly... Has never skipped a beat or failed to do anything that a properly installed standalone sky+ system couldn't do. Can't comment on others' experiences with stackers/de-stackers, but mine is faultless.

28. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When I had Sky installed a year ago I asked for a stacker/destacker - they refused point blank and said they would never install them because of their unreliability. I was very unhappy, but in fairness I have read that stackers require very high quality cable, preferably with short runs and no sharp bends. The coax in my flat was installed for previous analogue cable system and runs a hundred feet via a convoluted path, so they may have had a point.

Why hasn't Sky done a software upgrade so that we can get the maximum functionality possible with a single input?

29. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Because to record two programmes at the same time requires two feeds ! No software upgrade will change that.

Stacker/destackers combine both the signals down one cable, and high quality cabling is an absolute must. Installing stacker/destackers with old cabling is asking for trouble, and that's why owners of apartment blocks refuse point blank to install them - previous bad experiences.