• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Sky in all rooms (puzzle)

Sam...B

Standard Member
Hi all,

I've got various bits and bobs and wondered the best way of setting them all up...it's a bit of a puzzle for you to have a go at! I would like to be able to watch the sky channels from my standard pre wired aerial system. Being able to change channels would be great but not massively important.

I live in a flat with Sky+HD, but only linked up to one outlet (as it's an old communal dish), so no recording and watching a different channel.

So the puzzle:

I have to hand; a sky magic eye and a triax outlet link (304139).

The outlet plate where my sky and aerial go in has FM, Sat, TV and another aerial point next to 'TV' as well as a phone point.

Where does everything need to go? Obviously sky point has a cable to sky box - but what about aerial, outlet link, magic eye etc.?

Thanks! :)

Sam

logiciel

Hi Sam and welcome to AVF.
My first puzzle is why you started a thread immediately under this one: no-sky-related-threads-here.
At a guess the "aerial point next to 'TV'" is meant to have a cable from RF2Out on the Sky receiver.
If the other rooms have aerial sockets they will then carry the Sky channel that's currently selected.
The "magic eye" may or may not work to change the channel, depending on the wiring of the wallplates.
Let us know if you want more details.

Sam...B

Standard Member
Sorry didn't realise I posted in the wrong section...I'll check properly next time. :facepalm:

Neil - yes i live in a block of 6 flats?

On the wall socket thingy it has a sky output, fm aerial, tv aerial, an aerial point next to tv (not labeled) and a phone point?

Sam

Stevenage Neil

What are you trying to achieve? - To receive Sky in another room?

With your set up, you can try connecting a coax cable from RF2 on the Sky box to the "extra" TV socket and see if this connects to the other "TV Sockets", throughout the house. Otherwise, (pains me to say), you could use a video sender.

Last edited:

logiciel

To summarise, and combine, the previous four posts:
The one "outlet" is an output from the dish and an input to the room.
The "sky point" is the "sky output" on the "wall socket thingy".
The "aerial point next to tv" aka ""extra" TV socket" is "meant to have a cable from RF2Out on the Sky receiver" and links to "other "TV Sockets throughout the house" which "carry the Sky channel that's currently selected".
The idea of an alternative to this system had occurred to me too.
:D

Bingo76

Standard Member
Hi,
I'm interested in doing this too and wondered if this worked?

Am about to move into a new house. I presume it's fairly conventional for a newish (10yr old) house - There are four wall mounted aerial points (female) in various rooms and these connect up to the TV aerial in the attic. I was wondering whether I can use the RF2Out on the sky receiver and plug this into one of the four wall mounted sockets based socket, and whether this would then transmit to the other three aerial points?

If not, is it possible to trace the lead from the aerial point (that I'm using for the sky output) back to the attic and somehow connect/split this to the other three aerial leads?

Whether I can then use one or more sky eyes is the next question, but as I have almost no analagoue (and no digital signal) from the current aerial, I can live without the sky eye!

As you can prob tell, I don't know much about this, so all and any help gratefully received.

Cheers,
Paul.

Stevenage Neil

There are four wall mounted aerial points (female) in various rooms and these connect up to the TV aerial in the attic.

Do you know that for sure??

I was wondering whether I can use the RF2Out on the sky receiver and plug this into one of the four wall mounted sockets based socket, and whether this would then transmit to the other three aerial points?

I suspect there will be a distributor in the loft, so probably not, without changing connections.

If not, is it possible to trace the lead from the aerial point (that I'm using for the sky output) back to the attic

You tell us!!

Go into the attic and tell us what you find - we can probably help some more then.

logiciel

Hi Paul.
You might be able to use the aerial cable to the first room the wrong way around - use it for the output from Sky receiver RF2 and at the other end use it to replace the connection from the aerial so that it gets sent to the other three rooms instead of the aerial signal which is apparently non-existent anyway.
As the "magic eye" is for Sky why do you say that because you have nothing from the aerial you don't need it? :confused:
Logi

Broadz

as I have almost no analagoue (and no digital signal) from the current aerial, I can live without the sky eye!

Your lack of terrestrial television means you won't ever want to change the Sky channel when watching from a remote TV?

Makes no sense at all. Surely the fact that you can't watch anything but Sky would make it more likely that you would want to be able to select a different Sky channel, not less likely?

Bingo76

Standard Member
Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies - really helpful. Apologies for vagueness of my original description.

Yes I know for sure that the leads link up in the attic - I haven't looked in depth at the distributor box though. For now I was interested whether it's possible to do this, rather than exactly how to do this. If as it seems it is possible, I'll seek further help on how to wire up the / split the aerial if req.

re: Sky eye, apols for confusion - I have used one before - I wasn't mixing it up with terrestrial, mereley implying that being able to get sky through the three aerial boxes would be better than nothing (as no terrestrial) but in an ideal world I'd attach three sky eyes so could control sky from any room. However I'm not sure this will be possible?

Thanks again,
Paul.

Stevenage Neil

...but in an ideal world I'd attach three sky eyes so could control sky from any room. However I'm not sure this will be possible?

Yes it is, but would you want four people all vying for control of the Sky box at the same time?

Bingo76

Standard Member
That's good to hear. As for vying for control it shouldn't be a problem (yet) just the 2 of us and a 4 month old :).

I have a second sky+ box, but presuming I need sky multiroom to be able to have an independent set-up in one of the rooms?

Cheers,
Paul.

Stevenage Neil

I have a second sky+ box, but presuming I need sky multiroom to be able to have an independent set-up in one of the rooms?

Only if you want to view subscription channels. Look up "Free to View" for non-subscription channel line up.

logiciel

OK Paul, if you can find out which cable up there comes from the room where the receiver is you might be able to use it the other way around, by using it instead of the aerial cable as the input to the splitter for the other rooms.
I get your meaning about the "eye" now but you'll understand our mystification when you implied that it was because you could only get Sky that you did not need the "eye".
IR Extenders are an alternative for the remote control if the wiring turns out not to be suitable for it.
Here are the alternatives for satellite without subscription: http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1307423-free-satellite-freesatfromsky-freesat.html

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom