Sky in a flat

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Astaroth, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Ok - now on NTL box 10 after only 8 months of being with them - though 6 of the boxes were dead on arrival!! and now want to ensure that there is no way that I can go back to Sky (or peferably sky+)

I currently rent a flat on the 1st floor of a 2 story (ie ground, 1st and 2nd) block which does not have a communal dish (though there is a discarded minidish on the far side of the garden)

As far as I am aware I am not 'supposed' to have a dish installed but I was wondering if I have any options - I currently have a sky digibox from a previous property I lived at - there is frequently contractors from the building freeholder at the building and fear they may 'report me' if they saw a standard minidish on the outside of the building. Are there any other options? I have seen the satalite 'arials' on a couple of sites but they appear to be getting poor reviews. Ideally I would like to get Sky+ for its DD on movie channels but this is secondard to getting away from NTL... any thoughts would be appreciated as I am considering booking my next NTL engineer visit now for when their box breaks down again in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Always a problem if planning regulations or the wishes of the building owner prevent you from having a dish.
    You can have a floor mounted dish on the patio/garden or a dish fixed to a external solid structure but I think there would be still some objections over the laying of the cable.

It's probably worth clarifying with the owner of the building if it's their personal wish or building regs which could prevent an install. If it's their wish then maybe a dish can be located "out of the way", maybe a pole mount as opposed to a bracket on the wall and keep the buildings "look" with the agreement all costs will be met by you including removing of the dish and making good on the holes in the building.

No harm in asking since a compromise might be achieved, if not then you'll have to stick to NTL/Terrestrial and at least be sure you haven't wasted money on SKY and then having to have it removed.