Sky+ in a block of flats (multiple dwelling unit as Sky calls it!)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bighairy, Jul 19, 2001.

1. bighairy

bighairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure how many people this will affect so I'd be interested to hear.

The new Sky+ box has two inputs from the dish instead of one. This is also why a special new LNB is needed on the dish and extra cable has to be run from the dish to the box. This extra cable allows you to watch one channel while recording another.

If you live (as I do) in a block of flats and share a communal Sky Digital system, there is almost no conceivable way you can use the Sky+ box fully. You can buy one and use it as a recorder, but you will not be able to watch a second channel. To do that you would need to upgrade the complete Sky distribution system for your building including new distribution boxes (with two lines per flat) and extra cabling to all flats.

Just thought I'd share this little piece of research in case it helps anyone.

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm in the same aituation, except for us it's even worse.

Because of the way the distribution system/amplifiers are setup in our building, we only receive the channels carried on one of the transponders is it? I may have the terminology wrong but we can't get Hallmark for example (probably not that great a loss :). I get the impression that the system uses a single LNB, not a twin so this may be connected in some way.

3. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if I am wrong, but there should not be a problem getting Sky plus.
    A block of flats would normally have a quad LNB going into a box to distribute Sky to all the flats.
    I think that all you need for Sky plus is another connection to the disribution box.
    :cool:

4. bighairy

bighairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two answers:

1. If you are missing some of the newer channels then the chances are you can see High band only. Sky only started using Low band (as far as I can tell) early this year. Did you by any chance loose some of the movie channels and the sport channels in April for a couple of weeks? If you did then your distribution system has not kept pace with Sky and you will find that increasing numbers of new channels won't be available to you. If the system was put in in the last 18 months you should consider contacting the people who put it in: if they are not cowboys you may be able to get them to come back.

2. Yes, any distribution system should have a quad LNB already but there may not be enough capacity at the distribution end to give everybody a second Sky connection. That is the case in my block coupled with the fact that the existing cables are within the fabric of the building (they were put in during building) so it would be almost impossible to add more.

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    High band, that's the term I was trying (and failing) to remember.

The system was installed at least 3 to 4 years ago. It was initially used for Sky analogue and only upgraded for digital at the tail end of last year. The company that did the work supply Sky boxes to the residents and even offer a choice of model :)

There are around 120 apartments within the building all told, the managing agents are considering the possibility of additional wiring, but have been told that it would be *very* expensive.

[ 26-07-2001: Message edited by: AOD ]