Sky Hub? no thanks

ManCaveMan

Established Member
Reaction score
Contacted Sky about possibly changing to Q and they are saying that I would have to have my router replaced with a Sky Hub.

Is anyone using Sky Q with their own choice of router?

Not sure if this helps but mine is working fine with a virgin media superhub 2 .....

More nonsense from Sky. Yes we are.

For goodness sake, Believe In Better

That was true when Sky Q first launched as you had to be a Sky Broadband customer, but now you can be with any ISP provider using whichever router you like.

I have Vigin Media Fibre with the Virgin Router in Modem only mode and a TP-Link Router.

My Sky Q 2tb box is hard wired to the TP-Link router and the Q Mini is upstairs using Wifi.

Works great.

Lee

Thinking about getting Sky Q. The phone line into the house and the router are both in the main upstairs bedroom. The current Sky HD box is in the lounge downstairs. Also looking at a 4k TV. What wiring will there be for Sky Q and a possible Freesat TV? The current dish and quad lnb are quite old. Will Sky replace them? Thanks in anticipation of replies.

Sky Q box works over wifi so would be just a case of swapping over boxes and using existing cables.
Sky Q requires a change of the LNB anyway which is done on installation.
For also having Freesat you'd need to make sure the installer fits a Hybrid LNB to the dish which you'd then also need another cable to go from the dish to where Freesat will be, whether or not Sky would fit that cable for you I wouldn't know.

If you dish is not the latest Mk4 dish they should change the dish as well as the LNB.

Lee

Thanks for the replies. I've been in contact with Sky and they are asking a little too much for installation. I appreciate that the install fee of a 2tb box is worth it, but £99 each for 2 mini boxes is a difficult one to accept.

I've only got 1 mini box and the upfront cost for the whole installation was £60.
I already had a Sky HD sub, but didn't have multi room before.

The point is that there is no "they". A different agent will tell you something different, and so on until you get a result.

I'm wondering what the difference is ....
Latest dish is slightly larger (more rain margin) and lnb holder fits over the outside of the lnb arm instead of inside the end of the arm - Sky fitted lnb holders also usualy have a spirit level in them.

They don't want to budge.
Like Toon Army said, go and talk to the guys in the shopping centres, they have a variety of covert offers/codes to knock off the upfront on Sky Q for upgrades which is a better deal than what you can get over the phone.

After failing 4 times to get a reasonable deal out of them I cancelled my contract. I hope to try a shopping centre tout next week.

After failing 4 times to get a reasonable deal out of them I cancelled my contract. I hope to try a shopping centre tout next week.
I've tried a couple of times on the live chat and on the phone but no movement yet.
Might try the shopping centre as well, never thought of that.

Like yourself, I'm after the 2tb box and a mini.

Have you tried again since cancelling? It seems that actually cancelling often provokes them into a frenzy of different deals both on-line and telephonically.

I logged in to mysky and saw a 50% off TV package prices to stay, clicked on it and was linked to a page stating 60% off. So I took the deal and asked again about upgrading to Sky Q on chat. Was passed around a couple of times before finally being offered a 2tb box plus 2 minis at £159 installed. I accepted this but I think the way it was done was fudged to get the price down, because when completing the order it added the 2tb box at £60, 1 mini for free and a 2nd mini at £40. So from one extreme to the other, I got installation at £100 and will be paying about half per month compared to what I have been paying for Sky HD+

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom