1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ Home (self) installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pcgamer, Jan 25, 2005.

1. pcgamer

pcgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am think of by-passing SKY and purchasing a Pace 3100 for SKY+.. from www.satellitecentre.co.uk... they seem quite helpful and quote a very good price.

They also offer an INSTALLATION KIT-SKY PLUS
    20 metres cable,2 f- plugs, 100 cable clips,2 cable/wall glands, sealant tape.

My question is... does anyone have any experience in installing SKY+ themselves at home..? Is it relatively strraight forward?

I should say that I have SKY Digital already and subscribe pretty much to their full package.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always say why pay for someone to do what you can do yourself for free?

If you've already got sky and you just want to swap the box, all you need to do is upgrade your lnb to a twin or quad (check out eBay - quads go for around £15-£20) and run another length of cable down the side of your house to the box. If you pop to maplins and buy some sat cable and a couple of f-connectors and some cable clips (I used cable ties to stap the cable to the existing run) it'd probably be cheaper. You'll probably find the hardest part getting the extra cable through the wall... Try feeding a thin (but relativley strong) cable through from the house (say cat5 or phone cable). If you can get that through then tape it with PVC tape to the end of the sat cable and slowly feed and pull it through. Failing that you'll have to drill another hole through the wall.

3. pcgamer

pcgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks... better get my roof shoes on....

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one quick point on self installs. If something goes wrong in the future do not expect Sky to fix your problems. Sky only service equipment they supply.

5. Nelson42

Nelson42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been reading about home installation myself as I'm looking at upgrading from Sky to Sky+ and have just been quoted £250 just for the install ! Apparantly I have a long cable run over the top of my house :) Anyway reading your response you comment that you just need to fit a new 2 or 4 channel LNB - Is the existing LNB easy to take off and is it easy to fit the new one ? Also, do you then need to re-align the dish ? My hope is that the respective answers are "no probs, couple of screws" and "no". In which case it sounds like all I need to do after that is plug the extra cable in, run it over the house, through the wall and into the box. Does this sound right ? Thanks in advance.

6. sawtooth

sawtooth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Guys, I did my self install about 2 mths ago and I must say I couldn't believe how straightforward it was. You may be interested in my story but apologies in advance if I am just boring you. I had sky for 4 years or so before I finally went for sky+. I must say I was very unhappy with the cost of sky+ from the official channels, I dont know why loyal sky customers get such a raw deal but thats another story. I bought my Pace 3100 on ebay for £60, I took a chance because it was marked faulty, I guessed that I may be able to fix it if it was really broke. In the end there was nothing wrong with it - bargain. I just plugged it in and forced the software update and after a few mins voila a picture appeared. I tried it on my existing single LNB connection first. I rang sky and they didn't even ask where I got the box they just took my viewing card number and in 2 minutes I was able to record. Now I had a record-enabled sky+ package with a single LNB but of course I needed to provide a 2nd feed to make the most of the box features. Again on ebay I bought a quad LNB for £15, 10metre cable run from Maplins and 2 Fconnectors and cable clips from B&Q - oh dont forget self-amalgamating tape. I simply removed the original LNB and put the new one in its place no realignment of the dish req'd (although the signal quality/strength bars on the sky setup screen is slightly lower readings now) it worked straight off.

I have just ordered a 160Gbyte disk to upgrade to 80hrs recording, so I will have almost the equivalent of the £399 Thomson Sky+160 for a lot less. Go for it!!

My costs

Sky+ Pace 3100 V2 box £60
    LNB £15
    Cable £10
    H/Drive £60 inc p&P

Total £135

If I could do this anybody can!

7. Nelson42

Nelson42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks sawtooth...you've made me more determined to do it myself now.

8. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll echo what sawtooth said. I did mine last weekend, bought a pace box with LNB and installation kit from simply digital and the installation was very straightforward. Changing the LNB is simply a case of pulling out a retaining clip and gently easing the old one out and putting the new one in (being careful not to move the dish) and then routing the wires and connecting up. Go for it!

9. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks to this thread, and others, I've gone for it... just ordered my Sky+ box with quad LNB, and a cable kit, from simplydigital. Hope it turns up soon :D

10. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question but whats the difference between twin and quad lnbs (and don't say two!!)

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A twin LNB can feed one Sky+ box, a quad can feed two.

12. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    A twin lnb has 2 outputs and a quad lnb has 4 outputs.
    For sky+ you need a minimum twin lnb to be able to watch 1 channel and record another. The reason why sky fit a quad lnb is that a lot of customers who order sky+ usualy go for the multi room package which would need more than two outputs on the lnb. With a quad lnb you can have either sky+ and 2 extra receivers or 4 standard receivers or 2 sky+ boxes.

13. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so when you say 2 extra receivers does this mean that you can watch one channel and record two others all at the same time ?

14. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

A quad LNB allows you to connect either four standard digiboxes or two plus boxes. So in theory if you have two plus boxes connected then you would be able to record 3 other channels whilst watching 1. That is if you are only watching the output of 1 plus box as you record. On the other hand if you were watching something you had already recorded you could actually record 4 channels. :)

15. garbon

garbon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this isn't hijacking the thread but... I guess you are watching Sky (sub'd to sky)
    I use sky feed for free to air have no sky sub, if I got a Sky + box will I have to pay the £10 for record function even though I only use free to air?

16. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
  17. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a note - while you're up the ladder putting the quad lnb on, make sure you check your signal/quality levels. The extra weight can pull the dish off a little - if it goes dowb a bit then don't be afraid to loosen the nuts a bit, move the dish (millimeters at a time) till you get a nice reading and then tighten the nuts. Signal quality is more important than strength.

18. Nelson42

Nelson42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to one and all. Bought a Sky+ unit from Simply Digital - arrived within a couple of days, got some cable, F Connectors, cable ties and tape and with a quick wave of the wand (scale of the roof) I had it all installed. A quick call to Sky yesterday upgraded my subscription with no questions asked about "approved installers" and Bob's your uncle - I can record and pause.
    A BIG THANKS for all the advice given.

19. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Read this thread with interest, was thinking of going down the route of diy OR pay £150 for dish, stb (not +) & installation but wouldn't it be better in my instance to just get it done from SKY?

I was with them up until 3 years ago (different address, going to do it in my sons name this time around just in case!) am now thinking of ditching NTL and switching to SKY+ Multi-room. At the moment the install and equipment is £99, could then upgrade the HDD to 160GB in my own time. I'd be subscribing to SKY Sports anyway so the monthly £10 fee for + is waived.

Am I missing something (aside from the obvious such as 12 months minimum contract, connected phone line) by going down this route as opposed to DIY?

Regards

ALI

20. Nelson42

Nelson42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was already a Sky subscriber so basic equip was already installed. Sky appear to be keener to get new subs rather than upgrade existing subs so "new deals" are much better. I've not done the self HDD upgrade (yet) so can't comment on that but if that can be done easily your suggestion sounds sensible to me - although note that I am a novice :)

21. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Thanks for that, thought I may be missing something but maybe not because, as you say, they seem to be giving the best deals to new customers.

From what I've read the HDD upgrade is pretty straightforward, once the thing is in I'll let it get settled then take the plunge and swap the disk!

ALI

22. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Interesting thread this one!
    I currently have a standard sony skybox with a second tv operating via a remote link. I've just bought a Pace 3100 and hope to install it at the weekend. Am i correct in saying that i can install a quad LNB, have sky plus operating through the main tv and have a second cable from the dish straight to my standard box in the spare room. Will this allow me to watch 2 different sky channels at the same time without having to pay more subs (i currently have the full package). Would it be as simple as running the existing cable from the RF2 out, and run this directly to the quad lnb so i wouldn't have to run a second cable down through the wall.
    Things are never this straightforward are they!

23. Monkeey

Monkeey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping I'm not speaking out of turn on my first post here (I only signed up to AV Forums for this thread).
    I'm a fairly new Sky user (since January) and I'm now looking into Sky Multiroom right now to go with my Mac mini in the other room in the hope of building some form of PVR.
    I had the dish installed as standard by Sky and subscribe to the top package. From this thread I gather to get Multiroom I can buy a double/quad LNB and replace the one on the dish, run a cable through my loft and down to the other room and buy a new Sky box. Is that correct, and indeed, is it that easy? Or am I missing something?

I'd really appreciate some pointers, as I'm a bit handy hardware wise and would love to do it myself :)

24. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Monkeey, all Sky installs are similar, the b*****ing about is with the cable runs. Sky use Duel LNBs as standard so should be no need to interfere, just connect your 2nd cable. A 2nd box will only give the free channels without the viewing card, so you'd need the multiroom subscription. I'd ask Sky for a price before D.I.Y.- Although I understand the sentiment, when I upgraded to + at the time, there was no real cost advantage to buying the bits & installing myself, over them doing it. There probably is if you have to pay extras (difficult installs), or if you need specific runs to hide the cables, I'm not sure if they go in lofts for example. I maybe wrong, but I thought a 2nd (multiroom) box from Sky is discounted/subsidised, so I'd ring them before paying full price to DIY. Also I'm sure any 2nd box needs to be plugged into your phone for the multiroom subscription, otherwise its just a 2nd subscription or FTV.

25. Monkeey

Monkeey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaah thanks Stowitbelow (is that a trousers reference?!). That makes it a bit more clear. In that case I make take advantage of their Sky+ box and Multiroom for £149.
    Can you upgrade the disks in Sky+ easily? Are they just 3.5" hard disks?

26. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    If you do a search on this forum you will get info about the HDD upgrade. It seems to be relatively straightforward, the HDD is 'standard'.

ALI

27. sawtooth

sawtooth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The HDD upgrade is a doddle. I bought the MAXTOR 160GB 5400RPM 2MB ATA133 D-MAX16 4R160L0 and it works like a dream. The Sky Multiroom offer is quite good if you really really need a 2nd box. Personally I couldn't justify the extra cost over 12mths for the odd occasion when we (wife & kids) fight for the tv controls. Besides Sky+ virtually eliminates arguments in any case because you end up recording everything that moves anyway! Especially if you have that bigger drive - worth every penny. Bear in mind you will probably affect your warranty if you tamper with your new Sky+ box.

28. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'll just add, I am convinced changing my HDD has prevented a warranty claim. The standard Maxtor was too hot to hold on removal - but ran cool in my pc?? It surely wouldn't have lasted in + like that. - & you cans swap back if things go wrong. (My replacement is a Samsung Spinpoint V quiet & v cool, highly recomended)

29. paulryan

paulryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i finally took the plunge, bought a nearly new SKY+ box and lnb on ebay,
    cable & fittings from satcure and off i went.

Having a feed in living room already courtesy of a reckless sky installer
    (already had a feed available in loft) i replaced the lnlb with a Skyware quad.

Nobody has mentioned this in any previous diy attempts but it wasnt easy to
    remove the old lnb nor install the new one without a few attempts.
    I wasnt exactly been over cautious but i had to use plently of wd40 and a few knocks of a hammer(with cardboard cover) to get the orignal lnb off.

I then had to file down the skyware fitting and fit plently of vaseline to get it on.

I dont recall any major movement of the dish during installation but the signal is slightly weaker in the SKY+ box settings (i havent checked on the original sky box which i have put in the bedroom but i will)

Anyway, any tips for folk on getting the old lnb and new one on would probably be beneficial.

30. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Right, screw Sky! If its as easy as it all sounds, I will do it myself. A couple of very quick questions if I may.

1) I live in a block of flats with communal dish, and I already have 2 feeds into my flat. I currently have basic Sky digital (full package) so just one feed in use. Is it simply a case of buying a Sky+ receiver, connecting up the 2 wires, and away I go? I gather that I also need to call Sky to get upgrade - is it as simple as it sounds? No new viewing card required?

2) If I am about to go and buy myself a Sky+ receiver, is there any recommendation as to which brand/model is the best to go for? I'm not interested in the new 160 technology (I don't think). Sounds like its easier just to go for one of the older boxes and upgrade the HD.

Thanks in advance