Sky High

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Alasdair Mackay, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Alasdair Mackay

Alasdair Mackay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had sky HD installed 6 weeks ago and connected to my AV system in Ground Floor lounge. Very impressed. As an Architect with my own office at home the office is on the first floor where I have a further AV setup for when working on my pc, this setup had a link to my Sky HD box and purchased a new Sky HD remote all worked very well, untill 2 weeks ago when telephone link to sky went down. Out came telecom engineer who checked system and said the problem was the Sky box. Its got a blown chip mate!!!!! Anyway the box was replaced with a brand new one and yes it all worked well and the phone connected to Sky. But, wait for it, the remote to my office didnt work, made a few telephone calls and found out that on all new HD units this type of remote connection has been disabled as Sky want you buy a multi use subscription, a quick check to the Digi Link site and there it is, the link to Sky HD is under investigation. The point of this rant is I am amazed how quick Sky were to find this loophole. I have Sky multi use with a Sky HD to my main AV system and Sky + in front room to my partners TV. I understand to use Sky in my office I now need to buy a new dish and Sky box as my existing dish would not take a another connection unless anybody has got any suggestions or has any more information or had a similar situation.

2. trevor.dowle

trevor.dowle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You could try using a video sender I suppose................

3. kevmarshall

kevmarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    This is all news to me and I hope I have got it wrong!

Sky HD is due for install on 1st Sep.

At the moment I have Sky+ to my Plasma in the lounge and a feed with magic eye (bought from Sky) to a CRT in the bedroom which can obviously only show whatever is on the downstairs plasma.

When I have an HD box are you saying that I can no longer watch sky (in SD) on my CRT upstairs???????????

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Sorry if I am being a bit thick, but can you be clearer as to what is not working?
    - the remote control at the remote location?
    - picture output to the remote location?

What output are you using to the remote location? RF? Scart?

If RF, then I have no problem distributing RF around my house using Sky HD. Though I don't have a remote remote control (if you understand what I mean). I did have but that was just a normal Sky remote, and I haven't bought a Sky HD remote yet.

Have you got a link to the digi link site where you say they are reporting the problem?

5. Gae

Gae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    This is possibly nothing to do with this post(which I'm also a bit confused about to be honest) but my remote control wasn't working properly until recently either. It was a simple problem though. The infra red receiver that was plugged into my computer's USB was intercepting the SKY remote transmission before it reached the Digibox!!:rotfl: For days, I couldn't get the remote to work correctly and I even phoned CS. Then,one day, in the corner of my eye, I saw the red light of the computer infra red gadget lighting up, while the Digibox kept refusing to accept the signal. Doh!!!
    Guess where the infra-red USB gadget is now? Yes, thats right...hidden away in a drawer. Sky remote now works perfectly!!

Sometimes, the solution is a simple one!!

Gae

P.S. I'm using the "One for All" transmitter/receiver and it's working perfectly. I have SKY in 3 rooms purely through the RF cable.

6. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Your remote remote only needs to be a SkyPlus one, not an HD one. Just thought I'd say that cos it'll probably be cheaper for you to buy a SkyPlus handset than an HD one.

7. Alasdair Mackay

Alasdair Mackay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a Labgear Digilink Receiver Model No MRX912 which did work with my Sky HD box since new HD box fitted Digilink no longer works sorry for my poor explanation. I accessed the Labgear site and noticed they are investigating the Sky box with a digilink no doubt they will be producing one which works.

8. Alasdair Mackay

Alasdair Mackay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9htdZ...518/**http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3.htm
    More information
    "quote"
    We beleive that teh new SKY HD box works on a different infrared frequency from the previous Sky systems. This may cause problems with eyes/repeater systems.
    Hope this may help.

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    So your problem is your existing remote doesn't work.
    Presumably you still see a picture on your remote tv, you just cannot change channels.

I don't think you can interprete that as Sky forcing you to buy another box and a mirror sub :confused:

You just need a new remote and extender that supports the new frequencies I would guess...

10. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1