SKY+ High Definition

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dupontin, Aug 24, 2004.

1. dupontin

dupontin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently Sky will begin broadcasting HDTV in 2006, now I've read a couple of reports about the equipment. Which supposedly will be a revamped Sky+ box with bigger hard disk and importantly component outputs.

Also it may use codecs such as M$ Windows Media 9 or DVB-H, supposedly to allow more channels in less space. But they may go with MPEG2 based HD equipment ?

Can anyone elaborate on this or have any info on when the boxes will be available ?. Announcing it 2 years before release, wow the marketing boys must be thick, (says he who's gotta have it NOW !!!!).

BTW I'm new to the forum, and I've just started converting my detached garage into a home cinema. Permission to start work has been granted from "she who must be obeyed" (I'll move this point to a more appropriate forum)...

2. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Read something about this in this months What Hifi so will check it out tonight and get back to you. I think the pilot tests will start 2005 but you need to have a TV that will handle the HD TV

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The spec of the broadcasts hasn't even been announced, maybe even not finalised yet and that decisions is the corner stone of the whole service. No point talking about STB's in any specific way until you know if they will be based on tried and trusted mpegII or new technology using mpeg4/wm9 codecs.

The decision to announce it so long before launch was probably more to do with James Murdoch needing to smooth over the investors after a lack lustre two quarters of subscriber growth. Proving that you know the path the service is going to travel bolsters the confidence of those who own or may own stock.

If you can not wait until 2006 then there is always Euro1080 who are finally going from a demo mode to proper programming from Sep1st on their HD1 channel.