1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky high definition HDMI or DVI connections only !!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by shoestring25, Dec 3, 2004.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
  2. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    havent f@cked me off as i thought it was obvious that was the way they were going to go....so i made sure i bought dvi or hdmi display!! Like i said there is no surprise here!!!

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad I bought a Hitachi 5200 with HDCP compliant DVI connection now :clap:
    Mind you, I'll probably upgrade to a true 1920/1080 screen by the time Sky and Blu-Ray are available :rolleyes:
    At least they are giving us 12-18 months notice, it's not as if the announcment has come the day before HD goes live :smoke:

loadsofleads :thumbsup:

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They actually say "the vast majority" will only be viewable by those connections, not quite the same thing, especially as it's not known what programme content this will cover.

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I bought a 26" 720p/1080i (1366 by 768) lcd tv with the idea that I'd buy a 42" set once the screen res was the full 1920 by 1080p. Like Sharp's upcoming 45" lcd fo example. However, I had intended to use my lcd for hi-def material until the day that I could either afford one, or they had become more affordable. Now I find I won't be able to watch hidef tv broadcasts on my hi-def tv. Which is just great. :(

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    really really annoyed me this.

i have a lovely jvc hv-28d40 widescreen crt which is capable of 1080i through it's component inputs (must say wmv-hd out of my puter looks wonderful!) which i decided on due to sky going hdtv and now i can't use it, grrrrumble. :(

thing is most people won't have lcd/plasma/whatever with dvi/hdcp/whatever by 2006 so sky looses most of it's market surely ?

7. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    nice to see praise for the jvc crt... i'm allowed to "test" mine out on the weekend, then i get it again on chrimbo day. the torture! i don't have a HD xbox cable atm, so i'm buying a set of components to test a SD NTSC ProgScan dvd on.. casshern i think will do the trick :)

and yeah, its annoying that sky have taken this route.. but hey, thats sky for you. i get all my tv from america anyway, there's very few things on sky that make me envious.. one of which is the wrestling channel (i know, i know) but i'm gonna get a dual lnb dish and get freesat for that anyway in the new year hopefully (if you can use freesat on a pc pci cam module?)

edit:

dang, a 5 sec google reveals it looks unlikely i can use a pci cam to get freesat too. again.. sky.. unsurprising. you know, one day a company might exist that actually listens to its user! shock! (2nd thought.. isn't the CAM only needed for ITV C4 and C5 ? those i can do without anyway.. altho C4 C5 would be nice.. but i'd pay to be rid of ITV bar the football :D can always get a 2nd DVB-T anyway)

8. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not to defend anyone here, but I would think that the requirement to add HDCP authentication/encryption to the majority of Sky Sat HD programs is not a decision made by BSkyB themselves, but rather dictated by the main contents providers, i.e. "Hollywood" types... The same that will want to apply this ruling to HD-DVD and BluRay players, D-VHS, Cable/ADSL HDTV STB's, etc...

So, like it or not, we'd rather prepare for the deployment/extension of HDCP to all HD sources in the future... IMHO anyway.

The result of which is still unpredictable in terms of how exactly it's going to pan out, technical problems, incompatibilities, misunderstandings from Joe Public as in "Why the hell that DVD stopped playing today while it's worked fine for a week...? :mad:" or "I'm sure I recorded that Champions League game last week, damn it's been erased from the disk!! :eek:" etc etc... :D

9. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    the jvc is a nice tv :) i have pretty much all the processing turned to min or off and the picture is great, stunning on progr scan dvd !!! and looks lovely on 1080i from my ati->component convertor on the computer...just ordered tomb raider and underworld director's cut on wmv-hd from germany :D

10. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i don't really wanna take this thread off topic anymore, so i apologise. if you look in the main forum, i've started a thread about using PC to display video (.ts/wmv/xvid HD etc) and satellite HD across to the tv.. the converter i saw was for an AIW card.. this works for all the latest ATI cards by any chance? i was thinking of buying an x600 or x800 (gotta be PCI-E) and would definitely need to be able to export across to component. feel free to reply in there rather than here, or OP might get annoyed :D cheers!

11. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back to the centre topic, I thought I'd mention here that I learnt today that HDTV should definitely get a start here in France around mid next year (June 2005?).

The satellite network "TPS" will be first in line with an offering, and from what I understand their HDTV decoder will provide an HD video stream *solely* via a digital and protected DVI-HDCP connection. TPS is specialized in movie broadcast (incidentally just today they lost the attribution of the rights to broadcast live french football League matches to Canal+, so now they can _really_ concentrate on movies... :D ), so it shouldn' be too surprising that HDCP is part of the game here as well...

So... here we go then, DVI-HDCP/HDMI (@ probably 720p50) seems more and more likely to be the way HDTV will get started in Europe... :smoke:

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    UK FTA channels - all the BBC stuff, ITV3, Sky News, CNN, most of the shopping stuff and quite a few of the other minor channels don't need a CAM. Any FTA DVB-S card or FTA DVB set top box will receive them fine.

The Sky encrypted FTV (ITV1,2, C4 and Five) channels and the pay-TV Sky channels are Videoguard encrypted - and AIUI only a Sky Digibox contains the required CAM to decrypt them. There is no CI CAM available.

The previous card issue (requiring a legitimately subscribed Sky card) could be persuaded to work with a suitable PC interface and a software CAM with a DVB-S PCI card I believe - but AFAIK the new cards incorporated algorithms that mean this is no longer possible.

The fact that Sky don't have a Videoguard CAM available may also be one of the reasons they haven't been hacked wide open - unlike the majority of European pay-TV operations - who do use a CI CAM solution...

Whilst I might not like it - I can't say I blame Sky & NDS either.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Taffy: Just because it's HDCP compliant and advertised as HD ready may not mean that your display can accept the signal they are going to send out. I had a brief time with a Hitatchi Alis panel a few days ago and I'm sure it wouldn't recognise 720P@50. You may want to check this.....

Gordon