Sky High Definition (HD) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

My previous Sky set up was as follows, Sky+ in lounge, second Sky in bedroom both with full subscription.

When HD was installed the Sky+ box moved to bedroom using the existing non Sky+ card and the HD box now uses the former Sky+ card (I hope that makes sense) and a quad LNB was fitted.

The installer simply activated both cards via phone and after about 30 minutes I had all channels, so basically they can use your existing Sky cards unless you are converting to multiroom.

Quick question....

My sister is having a World Cup Party this coming Saturday and my Sky HD is due for install this thursday.

Once [if] my Sky HD is installed this week, could I take my HD digibox and viewing card down to my sisters house and use the single LNB feed from her Sky dish to use on my HD box ?

Retronana said:
Quick question....

My sister is having a World Cup Party this coming Saturday and my Sky HD is due for install this thursday.

Once [if] my Sky HD is installed this week, could I take my HD digibox and viewing card down to my sisters house and use the single LNB feed from her Sky dish to use on my HD box ?

YES.

But you won't be able to record a second sky channel whilst already watching a different Sky channel. Recording the channel you are watching is OK though.

Don't forget to take your HDMI lead as well.

I thought this was the case, thanks for the confirmation.

I wonder if the LNB was paired to the Box/Viewing Card:eek:

Retronana said:
I thought this was the case, thanks for the confirmation.

I wonder if the LNB was paired to the Box/Viewing Card:eek:

The only "pairing" is between the viewing card and the Sky box. You may get different ITV/BBC regions if your sister lives a long way away.

Why would my signal strength go down when I record HD but not move on recording SD?
normal Strength input 1: 40-50%
Quality : 60-70%

normal strength input 2: same as input 1

recording Hd Strength :20-30%
Quality :80-90%

input 2 HD strength :40-50%
quality : 60-70%

the cable and lnb were only replaced 6 weeks ago after problems with my sky+

I cannot seem to find answer to this so far, but does anyone know whether the i-links to different rooms still works the same on a HD box as with a SKY+?

I have 2 routed cables (bedroom & kitchen) to i-links from my current Sky + so I am wondering will this still all work the same and with what Sky remote I would need (obviously won't play HD on the secondary TV's)?

Would like to know.Can Sky Hd be installed by technician other than Sky.Reasons being I work weird hours offshore and would be home during non working hours.Also how does it go out of UK.e.g.Onboard yachts,holidays abroad etc?

I have sky hd linked to a sharp aquos lc45gd1e through the aquos box. I have both the scart connection and the hd connection via the hd plug and the sound cable.
I am unable to get teletext on either. Can anyone advise on the problem.
thanks

I think someone asked previously but they didnt get a reply for it. I was wondering if SD channels can be sent in progressive from the Sky HD box. I have a pio 436 and get a bit of interlacing when watching some programs (namely Sky Sports News and its famous scrolling text!). Are you able to set up to box so it would output SD in progressive and HD in 1080i- or does the Auto setting actually do this?

It seems that if set to Auto the Sky HD box outputs SD channels in 576 interlaced format via the component cable and in 576 progressive format via the HDMI cable. However, as you may know, there are currently concerns about using the HDMI connection as there is some evidence of HDCP errors occurring after a period of time. Sky and Pioneer are apparently working on a fix for this.

i get sky hd installed soon and was wondering what exactly they do and if there is anything i need to ask or get the engineer to do i have a toshiba 37wlt66

i dont get this

30 may install (free 20.00)
6-7 june 22.50 taken
6-7 july (NO PAYMENT COMMING OUT)
6-7 aug (52.50+52.50 plus (12.58 for 30 may to 6 july for hd)
6-7 sept sky goes up 1.00 or 1.50 and get ur free 10.00 for todays letter)so
53.50 -10 for letter = 43.50

My sky installer supplied me with a HMDI/DVI adaptor and a set of componant leads at my request

Is it possible to use the AV Link features of HDMI to control the TV from the SkyHD box. (Mine's currently a recent Thompson box). E.g. I have a Sony TV which supports the AV Link (Bravia Theatre SYnc in SOny speak) and I would like to be able to start the TV up with the correct channel when I press the SKY button on the SKY remote.

JohnB

The FAQ say that there is a new remote for the HD box. But I am not clear whether the old remote will work the new HD box, or whether I have to have a new remote to work it.

I have been given an HD box but with no remote and I am wary of switching until I know I can work the new HD box with the old remote...

The FAQ say that there is a new remote for the HD box. But I am not clear whether the old remote will work the new HD box, or whether I have to have a new remote to work it.

I have been given an HD box but with no remote and I am wary of switching until I know I can work the new HD box with the old remote...

any sky hd remote will work any sky hd box,well they have for me.

any sky hd remote will work any sky hd box,well they have for me.

Any Sky+ or Sky HD remote will fully operate an HD box and standard remotes after version 4 can be set up to perform most of the functions.

Just got Sky HD installed yesterday and chuffed to bits with it! I have currently got my Samsung box resolution set to auto output as SD pq output at 1080i wasn't great at times whats more I don't want the wife & nipper having to go into the settings menus to select the best resolution each time they change channel, they cannot be trusted! :)

I have had no issue with pq for any channel so far but one thing I noticed is that when I switch between channels whether its SD-HD, SD-SD or HD-SD there is a few seconds delay and a black screen before the channel is displayed. I don't seem to get this when switching from HD-HD channels though. Is this the 'flicker' problem I have seen in other threads?

I figured this is the box detecting the best pic format to display and is a consequence of using auto but was hoping somebody could confirm this or let me know if I have a problem.

My tv is an LG 42LH3000 and I'm connected to the Samsung via HDMI.

Just got Sky HD installed yesterday and chuffed to bits with it! I have currently got my Samsung box resolution set to auto output as SD pq output at 1080i wasn't great at times whats more I don't want the wife & nipper having to go into the settings menus to select the best resolution each time they change channel, they cannot be trusted! :)

I have had no issue with pq for any channel so far but one thing I noticed is that when I switch between channels whether its SD-HD, SD-SD or HD-SD there is a few seconds delay and a black screen before the channel is displayed. I don't seem to get this when switching from HD-HD channels though. Is this the 'flicker' problem I have seen in other threads?

I figured this is the box detecting the best pic format to display and is a consequence of using auto but was hoping somebody could confirm this or let me know if I have a problem.

My tv is an LG 42LH3000 and I'm connected to the Samsung via HDMI.

In auto setting the box will output the picture in the native resolution it's broadcast in so SD will be 576 and HD 1080i. This means to display the SD picture your TV will need to upscale the picture. This is what causes the delay to display channels when switching from SD to HD. If you switch between the same channels ie HD to HD the TV doesn't have to change it's scaling so no delay.

If you want to get around this then let the box upscale by setting output to 1080i so the TV is getting the same resolution feed all the time. As you mention though your Tv may do a better upscaling job than the box.

I wasn't sure where to post this but here goes.

Everytime I flick to a movie channel that is showing a 12,15 or 18 I have to enter a pin and it's driving me nuts!!

How can I turn this off?

It's bound to be restricted from '12'...

Go into Settings... Parental Control... enter PIN (last 4 digits of viewing card - if you've not changed it, that is!)... make sure ALL the age restriction entries are NOT selected... save. Done!

Last edited:
It's bound to be restricted from '12'...

Go into Settings... Parental Control... enter PIN (last 4 digits of viewing card - if you've not changed it, that is!)... make sure ALL the age resriction entries are NOT selected... save. Done!

But you will still get it pre-watershed. Nothing to do with Sky its a BCC requirement. Alternative is nothing bu PG and U rated films until 9:00

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom