Sky High Definition (HD) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Hi,
anyone had SKYHD installed to a CRT projector using component connection / input to the projector? if so did it work? I have a CRT projector and would like to know this.Also is it possible for the SKYHD box to output 2 HD signals, 1 from HDMI & 1 from component at the SAME time?

SD Definitely MUCH better via HDMI - this ironically is the key feature for me so far as I watch more C4/bbc2 than anythig else. So much crisper. D

I remember reading somewhere that the sky hd box has an output to add an external hard disc for increased capacity. Is this correct?

tomnjerry said:
Hi,
anyone had SKYHD installed to a CRT projector using component connection / input to the projector? if so did it work? I have a CRT projector and would like to know this.Also is it possible for the SKYHD box to output 2 HD signals, 1 from HDMI & 1 from component at the SAME time?

Yes it does mate, I have my box simultaneously feeding my TV & LCD PJ.

:smashin:

I'm still a little confused here.

What's best for my non HDCP TV?

Component to VGA or component to DVI - I have both inputs?

I would think you'd not want to change the signal too many times, so I would say comp to vga. If you use component to DVI what effectivly you're actually doing is going digital>ana>digi, whereas with component to VGA you're going digital>analogue

I could be wrong here - but doesn't the DVI specification allow an analogue signal? DVI-D is the digital variant.

So component to DVI should remain analogue?

wonder if anyone can help?:lease:
I'm getting HD installed on the 3rd, sky+ is staying downstairs and getting multiroom and the HD box upstairs.
I see in another thread a possible problem with which viewing card will go in the HD box, will it be the old sky+ card or a new one?
just dont think my landlord will be too happy if he cant watch his saved programs on his sky+ box......
many thanks. mklion1972

KingConker said:
I'm still a little confused here.

What's best for my non HDCP TV?

Component to VGA or component to DVI - I have both inputs?

If your DVI input is rated as DVI-I this means that it will accept both analogue and digital connections. The colourspace for analogue SHOULD be either RGBHV or Component. So using the component output of Sky HD, you should be able to hook up using a '3-phono component to DVI-I' without any additional transcoders.

If you want to go 'component to VGA' you must check the spec. of the VGA socket on your display - virtually all accept RGBHV and many, if not all, also accept component. If yours accepts component then a '3-phono component to VGA' lead will work without any additional transcoders.

If, however, it only accepts RGBHV, then you would need to introduce a powered 'component to VGA' transcoder between Sky HD and your display, using appropriate input and output leads, depending on the socketry of the device.

mklion1972 said:
I'm getting HD installed on the 3rd, sky+ is staying downstairs and getting multiroom and the HD box upstairs.
I see in another thread a possible problem with which viewing card will go in the HD box, will it be the old sky+ card or a new one?
just dont think my landlord will be too happy if he cant watch his saved programs on his sky+ box......
many thanks. mklion1972

It would make logical sense to carry on using the existing card in the existing Sky+ box (as it doesn't need any additional programming) i.e. carry on as normal... and use the brand new one with the new Sky HD box...

joz8968 said:
If your DVI input is rated as DVI-I this means that it will accept both analogue and digital connections. The colourspace for analogue SHOULD be either RGBHV or Component. So using the component output of Sky HD, you should be able to hook up using a '3-phono component to DVI-I' without any additional transcoders.

If you want to go 'component to VGA' you must check the spec. of the VGA socket on your display - virtually all accept RGBHV and many, if not all, also accept component. If yours accepts component then a '3-phono component to VGA' lead will work without any additional transcoders.

If, however, it only accepts RGBHV, then you would need to introduce a powered 'component to VGA' transcoder between Sky HD and your display, using appropriate input and output leads, depending on the socketry of the device.

...Obviously, double-check your display's User Manual to see which of the sockets - if not both - will accept a 1080i at 50Hz signal before doing any purchasing :smashin:

mklion1972 said:
many thanks. mklion1972

I've just had HD installed and used the old Sky+ box for a multi-room subscription. The engineer used my old card in the new HD box and said that the old card is the primary one. The new card was used in the old box.

General Zod said:
I've just had HD installed and used the old Sky+ box for a multi-room subscription. The engineer used my old card in the new HD box and said that the old card is the primary one. The new card was used in the old box.

...I stand corrected - they know best!

General Zod said:

Well, what's it like then? Are you stunned by the quality, etc.?... :D

joz8968 said:
Well, what's it like then? Are you stunned by the quality, etc.?... :D

Well....

It took 3 hours of install to get it all up and working ! However, I'm very impressed by the BBC HD preview and some of the Discovery stuff...the colours are very vibrant and the Planet Earth clips have an almost 3D quality about them. It is definately a step up in quality.

There just isn't much on at the moment !

N.B - My SD channels for the most part look better running through this new box with HDMI. Oh...and the remote feels nicer to hold :D

General Zod said:
Well....

It took 3 hours of install to get it all up and working ! However, I'm very impressed by the BBC HD preview and some of the Discovery stuff...the colours are very vibrant and the Planet Earth clips have an almost 3D quality about them. It is definately a step up in quality.

There just isn't much on at the moment !

N.B - My SD channels for the most part look better running through this new box with HDMI. Oh...and the remote feels nicer to hold :D

Cool! Have you viewed any of the 1080i upconverted SD content which is also broadcast on any of the HD channels as of yet :D ? If so, how does it compare with regular SD 576i material...

Is there a way of getting your tv to automatically go to hdmi when you press the Sky Tv guide like the old Sky did when you turned it on?

neil2k said:
Is there a way of getting your tv to automatically go to hdmi when you press the Sky Tv guide like the old Sky did when you turned it on?

I don't think so...

...That only used to happpen with SCART to SCART hook-ups. When you pressed one of the 'menu' buttons and/or the 'sky' button, this caused the pin 8's voltage of the SCART connection to go 'high', causing the TV to automatically select the the correct AV channel to which the SCART was connected to...

neil2k said:

From another thread I just discovered that pressing TV then Help, switches from DVB/Analogue to Sky.......and vice-verca.

Sorry... wrong thread

Out of intrest I thought the fans are supposed to turn off when the box is in standby but that doesnt seem to be the case for the box ive got, Any ideas?

pnangna said:
Out of intrest I thought the fans are supposed to turn off when the box is in standby but that doesnt seem to be the case for the box ive got, Any ideas?

I noticed my fans are on when in standby but unit is recording if that helps, the fans switch off at end of recording......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom