1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HiDef Connections

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ZeroT, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ZeroT

ZeroT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will lay this out in bullet form and hopefully I will make sense!

* I am currently looking to buy a new TV and DVD player.
    * For the TV I want HD ready, ready for Sky HD sometime next year.
    * With the TV having DVI or HDMI I want to match this with my DVD player.
    * I buy the TV and DVD I want and enjoy wonderfull pictures from my digitally connected items.
    * In 2006 Sky HD comes out and I want that too.
    * Do I have to demote my DVD down to an analogue component connection to make way for the new Sky box which I presume will be DVI or HDMI?

The descision here is do I buy the HD telly but leave the DVI/HDMI free in ready for Sky HD and spend my DVD cash on a top component DVD player rather and a DVI/HDMI one?

2. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I the problem is that SKY have not yet announced the exact spec of the new HD boxes. It is possible that they may have an HDMI pass through and then again, maybe not. You could also get yourself an HDMI switch box for around £200.

My advice, don't second guess too much. Buy the best you can afford with what you know is coming. If you have to move your DVD onto component when Sky HD is here, at least you have had 1 yr on the HDMI. By then, there may be other solutions that allow you to share the HDMI socket.

Hope that helps. As usual all IMO. :)

3. ZeroT

ZeroT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I should still be considering the possibility of having to demote the DVD player.

Reason is that I was looking at the Denon 1910 with DVI and all the reviews say its brilliant but not so hot on component and with that in mind and the "possibility" of having to change it then that puts me off the 1910.

The switch box of course is always an option of course.