1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY HI_DEF BOX PRICE any one????

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by marky1975, Sep 3, 2005.

1. marky1975

marky1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does any one know how much the hi def sky box will be
    rang sky up and they didnt even know about it.

Mark

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY CS will not have been briefed on a product/service that doesn not exist yet so are not in a position to say anything.
    No official announcment has been made on the complete specification of the SKY+ HD nor it's purchase price and probable channel subscripiton.

Signup via the website or from Comet and you'll find out when the rest of us do:)

3. marky1975

marky1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how can then not have been breifed as there are lots off info about in mags shops and papers now. would off thought sky wouyld have know something??
    but cant wait to get it

Mark

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No there are lots of rumours and speculation:)

Even Comet who it looks like have a firm agreement to promote SKY HD only have a leaflet and a signup procedure.

Frontline SKY CS people only know what they are told to promote and sell the current range of avaliable products, SKY+ HD is not one of them:)

5. TrevP

TrevP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because they are a call centre and not Sky commercial centre. Why would Sky Customer Centre know anything ?

6. marky1975

marky1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true like most customer service centres there useless

mark

7. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    I wouldn't like to work in one and have to deal with people like you with your attitude. :lesson: They are only doing their job.

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Too much for the box and too much for the subscription,what the point in watching a load of crap in HD.

9. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    That's not true.
    Some of them are knowledeable and helpful, like the 2 or 3 people from Sky CS who run support for TiVo.

But it is always infuriating when you end up talking to someone in CS who seems to know less than you do about the problem you have.
    Todays technological environment makes it difficult for anyone in CS to be an expert on everything so I have a bit of sympathy for them.

But if you are even vaguely technical you have probably more chance of sorting out a tech issue with google than with any CS staff on average.

If it is anything to do with billing then you are on your own!

Back on topic, I do tend to agree that content is more important than picture quality (which is why I use TiVo).

But you can't argue with the immediate wow-factor of Hi-Def.

If Formula1, World rally and Touring Cars were in HD and widescreen I would be sorely tempted.

10. marky1975

marky1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the best customer suport place i know off is on here always come here before going anywhere else. as 100% of the time i have the problem answered on here.

Mark

11. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    99% of CSO's at call centres are clueless monkeys. There is no denying it! It's an acknowledged, and widely experienced fact.

I spoke to someone at my visa card services asking about a transaction to "unbetable.co.uk or capital sound and vision" and he came back with "sorry there are no transactions for co-op on your statement" I repeated "no - unbeatable.co.uk or capital sound and vision. the reply?? "No definately nothing here for co-op"

I have called sky and emailed them. Here is what i sent them

This was there reply

You have to wonder....

12. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    what an incredibly useless response, almost as useless as emails i recieve back from "human" resources at work when i have a problem (if i even recieve a response)
    you would think that they would have a better "party line" on such issues (how ironic that i hit this key £ first when trying to type the quote marks...)

13. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well what did you expect? Why would they tell you more than anyone else.

Did you really think you would get a straight answer to your questions.

14. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    A patient of mine works for a company in charge of selling sky+ i dont know how far up yhe tree he os but i gat the fealing its a fair way up but i always know more than he does
    To be honest i think at this stage the question should be what do you expect the box to cost?
    Im not expecting to have to spend less than 300 and expect the price to be 400 quid

15. servicecall65

servicecall65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well mcav, please enlighten everybody as to what your occupation is. :lease:

16. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Amazingly Murdoch has dropped the price of the HD TiVo in the USA from US$1000 to just US$299 (even less after rebates). So hopefully the Sky HD box might be going for just 200 pounds the year after its launch.

I suspect the standard non-HD sky plus boxes will be given away free by that time.

17. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Are you serious?

There was me thinking that I was the customer who pays over £500 a year to sky to receieve their service in my livingroom alongside a lovely original outlay of £200 for my digibox.

Yes I pay a premium for these services, and I bloody well expect straigh talk - not some pointless bullsh*t from someone who has not even read my email.

It is not too much to ask, and it is people who don't question why who keep services for products like these in the dark ages.

You pay these people and keep their business alive - demand more!

Oh and servicecall65 - I'm a manager of a major bank, and I generally am more knowledgable about sky products than the people on the contact centre help desk.

Sorry - why did you ask? Feel free to have a dig at Bank Managers..... it's a lot easier and justified to have a go at contact centre staff....

I am guessing HD Sky to existing subscribers is going to be £200 box, plus installation, and an extra tenner for the "HD premium".

Sky+ all over again....

After about 9 months or so, they will drop the tenner a month due to low take up, provided you get a decent subscription pack from them. just as they did with sky plus.

You all remember when sky was charging everyone for the privilege of recording programs right? Well my guess is that they are going to charge you for the privilege of receiving programs in Hi def. :mad:

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I expext it to be a lot more than that:)

SKY+ all over again indeed and taken further SKY D as well after all the business model works and hovers up those who are willing to pay premium prices for new hardware/services. When those have been signed up then the marketing department exerts it's influence and savings in both production costs and R&D can then be passed onto the consumer.
    The business model works for virtually all electrical consumer products when they first enter the market.

The "sub" to use the SKY+ HD recording facilites is expected to be inclusive since it is again believed that the marketing of the service will be the same, to get HD you will need premium channels and thus the £10 fee will be waived.

Bottom line, you do not have to buy a SKY+ HD at launch and as you say if you wait then the hardware will drop in price and there will be far more content as time goes on. For those that buy straight away they know they are paying premium prices but will be enjoying HD will others moan about the prices:)

19. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Nothing wrong with moaning about prices when it s justified.

For example PSP £179 - yep i'll pay that. Good new technology which does lots of fun stuff....

Sky+ box - £200.... honestly a 20GB HDD and some digital recording technology.... not quite worth it...

SKY HD box.... it's really the same thing, but taking in a high def signal with a bigger HDD.... the product itself is going to be very cheap to manufacture... sub £100 for certain...

How much is reasonable to pay for this.....

20. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hey dont get at me :nono:

I suggest you tell sky that you pay them 500 quid a year etc etc and you demand answers to your questions

Just make sure you tell them that their secret will be safe with you and I am sure, no I am really sure you will get all the answers you require :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

21. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Rigman, you really have very little clue about how a real business should run do you?

If the people at Sky had the slightest bit of good business sense, they would have put together a complete pricing plan and had all the information available right now for people to decide whether to adopt early or wait for the price to drop.

But to send an email saying "Your current digibox won't accept hi def signals" is nothing short if a joke.

And in case you didn't realise, I'm not expecting Sky to give me information they would not give to anyone else, I am expecting them to tell everyone what they want to know.

Also please, tell me what is the problem with wanting to know how much I will have to pay to get Sky HD? Why do you seem to think that it is information that people do not need to know?

If you went into a garage to enquire about the new registration of car, you would not expect the garage to say "well, we know it will have wheels, and you will drive it, but we can't tell you how much you are going to pay for it, and if you need to buy anything extra in order for the new car to funcion"

This is what Sky are doing essentially.

And they are not "answers i require" they are answers which clearly a lot of people want to know" Funny - sky are in the business of selling their product. You'd think they'd have some knowledge of the product they sell. One of the first rules of selling any product, funny enough.

22. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    In investor relations meetings aren't BSkyB quoting the following?

£400 for the box, plus standard install price; £10 per month sub on top of any premium package, £20 per month if no premium package.

StooMonster

23. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    £10 to £20 more ,i can see the point to get a better picture ,but is really worth it ,10,000 and nothing on :rotfl: .

24. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Justified in your opinion which is fine because it is all about opinions if backed by some reasonable arguments but in reality we do not know exactly how much these boxes will cost at the gate, we do not know how much money has been invested in R&D and new production facilites which will have to be recouped.
    The only thing I know now is the price that HD mpeg4 receivers and older mpeg2 units (with no hard drive) are being offered on the retail market you can use that as a reasonable base price and then factor in the extra costs for the higher spec product.

In this regard I consider £400 from the initial production run (which like most products is used to covers start up costs) is reasonable.
    However it keeps getting repeated that if you wait you will benefit from reductions in price due to cost savings in manufacturing and marketing incentives.

I am sorry mcav but if honestly think that the new SKY+ HD can be manufactured for under £100 then you are living in dream land. If you said the SKY+ wholesale price was under £100 I would agree but that along with it's variants has been around 4 years and has had a production run of 800,000 units from two companies.
    SKY do sell the SKY+ for under £100 now and even retail you are only talking about £160 for the new 80gig version.

25. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

You do realise that there is a time period before a product/service is launched when the supplier simply does not have all the specs and prices set in stone, therefore it is impossible to provide information to anyone that is reliable. From a PR and legal perspective giving information that is inaccurate can be damaging to the company and by extension to it's share price after all solid facts and figures tend to get released to the shareholders/city before being released to the public.

That more than anything is why SKY have always been vague about their HD plans. Not only has the hardware and content been in a state of flux for over a year but committing to a launch date and failing to meet that would be a disaster both in PR and share price.

SKY will release the final specs/prices and launch date when they are confident of the product just as they did with SKY D and then SKY+.
    Anything beyond the trickle of minor updates (manufacturer, HDMI/Component issues, basic channel lineup) would be foolish and premature and not do the potential customer any good.

26. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I agree that I think the £400 is over-priced. But for early-adopters with lots of cash it is probably a bargain! Many TiVo owners who are early adopters will jump at it.
    I for one might even be tempted!

I think that standard Sky+ is way-overpriced - I would only pay £50 for one as the real price is buried in the expensive Sky subs. If you could use Sky+ features without a sub I would pay the £100.

For £50 Sky+ is good value as a nice fast source for a TiVo :)

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    So you run a business that's more successful than Sky, do you ? 8 million+ customers, a growing customer base, and a healthy profit despite huge investment ? I take my hat off to you !

If you are a businessman with a new product,

(a) you don't announce prices until you are ready to launch, because it gives the opposition a head start, and the launch isn't for at least another 5 months;

and

(b) you don't announce prices until you have worked out what the demand for the product is going to be, and that's why people have been asked to pre-register.

I think Sky have shown excellent business sense over the years, that's why they're the #1 TV provider in the UK, and with thriving businesses elsewhere in the world too.

28. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mcav,
    i know where your'e coming from, and it is annoying, but.

There is more than one major bank, there is more than one car showroom to check to see if the wheels turn on a car.

Sky on the other hand have NO competition!

I am in business and Sky is the ultimate in business success, they started with huge debt, stuck with and now have the ultimate control of the airwaves.

They can really treat you the way they want and theres nothing anyone can do about it, even energy suppliers are competing for business.

I think sky is cheap for what you get, and HD is the icing on the cake for a lot of us, it will be launched when its launched, period.

29. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not strictly true. There is competition where cable TV is provided, but admittedly there is no cable equivalent of Sky+ Even so, Sky will still not divulge anything until the launch, because there could be another satellite TV company waiting to launch - it's possible, but unlikely. When you're in business, you have to look at all the possibilities. I know this because I run a company myself.

30. Geoxis

Geoxis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I spoke to my local hifi retailer yesterday and we were having a chat about sky HD and he said that he has been at BskyB for demo of the HD format and he said the image is brilliant but there is a but..... he said that they looking at selling the digibox at about £400 - £600 + premium package on the top, but he also said that you will see it you will want it......... But me I do not think that Sky HD will be for me. I will keep on downloading my HD movies of the internet....:thumbsup: