1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky hi-def cost.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by p5yco, Jun 26, 2005.

1. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    does anyone know how much its actually going to cost to subscribe to skys hi-def service when its released? will it be a separate hi-def package that sky offer, or an extra cost to an existing package etc. any comments on prices etc needed, cheers.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Nothing official yet.

Expect to pay over £400 for the STB and at least another £10 on top of whatever package you currently have or will have if you are going to be a new subscriber. There will also be a SKY+ fee which may or may not be waived if you are on a certain package which you would hope includes the HD package:)

HD1 and HD2 will probably be a seperate package although you would hope that considering the relative low cost of their subscription it would be bundled into the SKY HD package. Discovery who have a license for a HD channel may as they have done before sign up with SKY but again only speculation:)

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I'm not looking forward to it. I've avoided sky+ because I have a Tivo and didn't want to pay £10 a month. I'm on the £19.50 simple one now, no premium channels.

But I really want HD. Don't need, just want.

But I'm guessing that HD will be an additional set of channels probably priced like the movie channels. I don't want to suddenly be spending £50 a month on my TV. Thats crazy.

4. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    $ky are ripping the public off and seems will be allowed to continue to do so forever. We should be having a FTA package of HD channels IMO

Any sub from sky for HD should be included in the price of the £400 box at least for the first 6 months...

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You should be lobbying the PSB's for a selection of FTA HD channels then, SKY exist to make money and charging for content is the only practical way to do it.

They are investing in HD content and the R&D required to provide a HD STB solution for the simple reason that they expect to make money in the long term which is the whole reason for their existence, same goes for all commercial broadcasters.

Like SKY itself, SKY+ and multiroom there is no major need for these products and at the end of the day it's your money, if no one else is prepared to create the market then take what SKY offer or keep your money in your pocket.
    Non-subscription HD will be offered sooner or later but you can't really expect SKY not to make the most of their investment from the people who are willing to pay for what they want.

If the US networks can get their heads around the idea of HD then I can not see how the BBC, ITV, CH4 and Five can explain how they could miss the boat just as they did to various levels with both PAL analogue and digital satellite.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    If that's the case, I certainly will be avoiding it until prices come own to earth!

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Very well said.

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Well there was no real need for the UK networks to exist on PAL analogue (apart from Channel Five who had coverage issues).

The BBC launched digital services at the same time as Sky Digital, Digital Terrestrial and Digital Cable launched, and were the leaders in adopting widescreen TV, and are the only broadcaster to offer interactive TV on all platforms.

Given that the Beeb have been running HD tests since the 80s - and are making increasing numbers of shows in HD (they started with a drama in the late 80s) - I don't think they are likely to miss the HD boat.

Whether ITV miss another opportunity (as they did with when they were very late launching on satellite) - is a more interesting question...

9. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They did that because they owned ONdigital and wanted ITV to be on that format only so people would buy it instead of SKY, guess it didn't work ;)
    Can anybody confirm to me that the Hitachi 5200 is SkyHD compatible, I keep getting conflicting reports ?

10. rpm

rpm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5200 is compatible at 1080/50, not at 720/50. I hope the Sky STB will upconvert broadcasts at 720/50 to 1080/50. If not, i doubt i will get Sky HD.

11. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it, Sky have been using the Hitachi 5200 as a rebadged Sky plasma which is touted as HD ready. If this is the case, there surely will be an answer to the problem :)