1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY + Help

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bienvenum, Apr 24, 2005.

1. bienvenum

bienvenum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope someone will help me as Sky will not as my box is out of warranty ! :(

Got back from 3 weeks holiday expecting to sit down and catch up will all the stuff I had set Sky+ to record for me whilst away, but on turning the TV on sky+ came up with a frozen picture and nothing would shift it except a hard reset.

When the box powered back up it could not find any channels and no sat signal, going into services and sat strength meter thingy shows the same result.... nothing no signal no locks and stream is 0000

tried all the usual resets, even left it off all night last night and it was still the same this morning :(

I have another box in my lodgers room and that is working fine so I know that the dish is not out of alignment....

This was all working fine when I left for holidays, so I cannot understand how it could become broken without anyone touching it..... I have checked and it seems I am using the latest versions of the software 1.28.d (I think it said)

In the engineers menu I have tried messing around in there, the only thing I have not tried is the wipe box and start again as I really do not want to loose anything that was on the disk already, or that might have been recorded before it went wrong.

I hope someone has some ideas, if not I am going to take it to work tomorrow and get someone to nip home and try it in place of their sky+ setup, if the box is screwed then I guess I will have to buy a new one..... which is a real bummer..... it narks me off that I paid 300 odd quid for something as an early adopter and when it goes wrong all they say is oh well no warranty you have to pay for an engineer visit..... £40+ odd quid a month and you would think that they would send an engineer to fix the ruddy box for free wouldn't you !

The other thing that really got me is that without a sat signal you cannot get into the programs that you have recorded !!! what the fudge ! so programs I have copied onto MY box cannot be used without a signal that I have to pay for !!! so if I copy some stuff onto the box to keep I have to keep paying SKY to view that stuff even if it was broadcast on BBC, ITV,C4 now thats a con isn't it !!!!!

anyone sorry for the ramble, hope you guys have some ideas, appart from a retro purchase of a warranty. (the only consolation is that I was looking at buying a bigger disk for the box, so now I can just purchase the new 160gig box - but would prefer not to if possible)

Mike

2. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The standard call out for an out of warrenty box is £65.00. This includes all parts and labour. If the box is faulty it will be swapped at no extra charge.The reason you have to pay is because after the initial 12 month contract period the box is your property. Would you expect a garage to do a free breakdown service on you car just because you buy your petrol from them?

3. bienvenum

bienvenum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't disagree with your analogy, but when you are an early adopter and payed extra money for the privilage of beta testing their new service the least you would expect is for them to fix your box, or at least be a little more helpful when you call them.

The only reason I have held of on the engineer call is I first want to get it confirmed that the box is at fault by plugging into a mates setup. I also need to weigh up the benefit of purchasing a new 160gig box over paying to get this one repaired and then modding it with a larger HDD, which will be 100 quid, so between 160 and 180 quid for a box with no warranty or 260 notes for a brand new box with a full warranty, it's a tough call, my head says buy a new one, my wallet says get the current one repaired !

I am still not convinced that this box is broken which is why I was asking for advice on here.

4. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Do a search for Pace 3100 on Google etc and get a new box for £150, just don't tell sky where you got it from when asked...