1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Help with signal

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Sami, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hello,

My landlord has decided without telling us to start working on the outside of the house I am currently renting.

I came back last night to see the place surrounded in scaffolding.... I also noticed that the Sky dish was in a different position....

So, sods law when I got in, I turned on Sky to find that no satellite signal was being received.

Now, I checked the signal test and bascially the signal strength is around 60% and the signal quality is 0

Anybody got any advice on what I can do. Do I need to call up Sky and will I therefore get charged for them to come over, or is it something I can adjust myself?

Cheers

Sami

2. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi Sami,

First of all I was under the impression that a landlord by law cannot start any work without informing you in writing of what is being done. This is so, if any costs are involved and you are required to contribute, you can confirm that the landlord has received multiple quotes for the work and that you know exactly what is going to be done and the final cost. I would check your lease to confirm this but I think it is pretty standard.

With regards to the Sky, I would tell the Landlord that you are invoicing him/her for any costs that Sky or an independant Aerial engineer will charge to resolve the problem.

Steve

3. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    It's the Freeholders of the property that are doing the work on the outside. No costs are going to be involved for myself with the work. We were told it would happen in the near future, but were given no warning as to when, ie date etc!

So you reckon I'm going to have to get Sky involved? It can't be fixed without them?

Cheers
    Sami

4. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It doesn't matter that it is the freeholders, if it is in your lease then they are required by law to give you an exact start date so that you don't come home to situations just like this!

I guess you could move the dish position yourself with someone else watching the Sky signal/quality strength test to tell you when it is back to the best position but I have no idea if this invalidates any kind of warranty you have with Sky.

I think it is worth asking your landlord what they are going to do to rectify the problem as they have caused it!

Steve