1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ help needed.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DaveBro, Dec 29, 2004.

1. DaveBro

DaveBro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all ,

I 've read a lot of the other posts regarding recording to the sky + box and then archiving to another DVD/HDD recorder. My questions are. As a beginner with this kit is it really that easy? Also if i get a sky+ box a DVD/HDD recorder i'll be giving up my existing all in one Davs550. If i want surround etc is it a case of going out and getting a separate receiver ? Any way to use the Davs550 and just connect it all up ? :lease:

Cheers in advance people. :)

2. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    rite, i think u mite be able to still use your s550. but you're goin to have to buy some bits.

as far as i can find out from specs on the web. and this:

[​IMG]

anyways. if your TV has 2 scart sockets on it. do this:

sky+ TV SCART into RGB1/AV1/L1 on TV.

from VIDEO1-OUT on AMP (the 3 RCA's, red/yellow/white) into a scart and into the SCART RGB2/AV2/L2 on the TV.

then from L1/AV1/RGB1 (as scart) on dvd recorder into VIDEO2 as RCA's and if u have an optical cable plug that from dvd recorder to VIDEO2 too. this will give you DTS as well as Dolby Digital surround with the amp from your dvd player. you can also unplug the dvd end and plug it into the sky+ box and have DD from sky+ out your amp also if you wish.

lastly, a SCART lead from L2/AV2 on your DVD recorder into the sky+ VCR SCART. this will enable u to record sky onto DVD.

if you only have one SCART on TV then you need to buy a scart switcher.
    (a box with 3 scart sockets on it and one scart plug that goes into your TV.

with that you do this:

SKY+ TV SCART to AV1 on SCART SWITCHER.
    AMP VIDEO1-OUT RCA's to SCART into AV2 on SCART SWITCHER.
    L1/AV1 OUT SCART from DVD recorder into AV3 on SCART SWITCHER.

SKY+ VCR SCART to L2/AV2 IN/OUT SCART on DVD recorder.

OPTICAL OUT from DVD or SKY+ into VIDEO2 OPTICAL IN (you select this channel on amp when watching sky or DVD or watch DVD on S550.

and just realised that you can use RCA's instead of optical (although i recommend u use optical for DTS) and plug AUDIO RCA's from sky+ box into VIDEO1 IN on AMP and have that channel selected on amp when watching sky.

then AUDIO RCA's from DVD recorder into VIDEO2 IN and you can hear surround from dvd recorder into amp.

i think i've covered everything. its late. i'm off to bed. any more Q's and i'll gladly help.

just tell me....

how many scarts and s-video inputs on TV and which dvd recorder u want?

that'll help wonders!

nite,

jammy

3. DaveBro

DaveBro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate i'll print this out for future referance.
    I will probably just read the reviews and get a sony or panasonic DVD/HDD.
    I might even get shot of the davs and get a seperate receiver/ dvd/hdd/speakers !!! Trouble is i don't really have time or knowledge on setting this up. The one box solution Denon 550t and sky + would be great but how then do i make my own dvd's from recorded progs ?

Cheers for the info much appreciated. :thumbsup: