Sky HDTV to only support HDMI/DVI NOT component!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by GadgetObsessed, Dec 3, 2004.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    According to news on HomeCinemaChoice Sky are saying they will ONLY support HDTV via HDCP compliant HDMI/DVI. So displays with only component inputs will not be able to display Sky's HDTV at all - even if they can support 720/1080

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7231

I suppose it makes sense that Sky want to protect their content. Does rule out Sky HDTV for many existing plasma/lcd owners though.

2. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, wonderful.....My Tosh 32WL46 is HD compatible through it's component inputs and I thought I would be okay when Sky upgraded......Looks like that's not going to happen.

Still, in two years time I may have relegated it to the bedroom by then, in place of something hopefully a bit more future proof!

3. roberte

roberte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    this leaves only a few lcds compatable at present therefore?
    sharp, hitachi ,is this right?

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 32WL48 has HDMI.

5. roberte

roberte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    any others?

6. CarnalSins

CarnalSins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips 32pf9986

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Sharp Aquos screens with DVI should be OK

8. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm disappointed as I have a new Tosh 30WL46 in transit to me at the moment! They even ran promotions in FHM boasting about it's HDTV compatibility, but it's non-HDCP compliant so it'll be impossible!
    The helpdesk asked me to call back to speak to the workshop to see if the HDCP can be 'enabled' as the specs describe it as 'not enabled'... Not holding my breath....
    Surely a third party could make a device to remove HDCP? Any ideas of how to get round this?

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Loewe Xelos SL and Spheros support both 1080i and 720p without compromise.

Hopefully the Sky boxes will be compatible with the Sharp 1080i input - some sources are not. I guess that is up to Sharp and Sky to work out between them.

Some displays also give a bordered screen when presented with some resolutions/timings, ie 720p - 1280x720 displayed on a 1366x768 screen. I think someone mentioned that this was the case with the Philips when presented a 720p picture via DVI but maybe they didn't find any zoom mode.

Something to note, the resolution used, 720p, 1080i is at the broadcasters discretion, with 720p being the dominent format. With HD boxes that already exist overseas, it is not possible to convert between the two formats within the box. So if the picture is broadcast in 720p, you get 720p, if its broadcast in 1080i, you get 1080i. It is possible that this will be the case with Sky.

As for 'cracking' HDCP. Don't hold your breadth. The encryption is performed at chip level by the source MPEG decoder and decrypted by the display again at chip level. If the public decryption key of the display is compromised, ie hacked, then the key will be held in a blacklist that is broadcast with transmissions or stored on future software - ie DVD's. Short of replacing the MPEG encoding chip with HDCP free versions, HDCP remains extremely secure especially in such a controlled hardware environment such as Sky.

-Ian

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    To be accurate, they say "vast majority". As they've yet to state what content this will apply to it may not be the absolute disaster people are treating it as, although obviously it's disappointing.

11. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The output is switchable between 720p and 1080i on US HD STBs; I believe this is a mandatory feature. This is essential as many displays will not accept 720p, which would mean no picture on FOX, ABC and ESPN broadcasts if only native output was supported.

Sky boxes will almost certainly be 720p/1080i switchable. 768p may well be supported too as it is such a common display resolution.

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Im glad the be wrong about that.

13. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    HDCP only works on digital connections, and the 30WL46 doesn't have any (DVI or HDMI) as far as I know.

You will not be able to buy a legal device that removes HDCP. Devices with digital and analog inputs must disable any analog video outputs when playing a HDCP compliant input.

James

14. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    30WL46 has a dvi input but sadly its non HDCP enabled... More like a PC input only (1280x768 over 1280x720 resolution tends to confirm that choice...)

15. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jgrg
    I fear you're right about removing HDCP... However the set definitely does have a DVI input as I checked that thoroughly as I have a scaler that I am going to use with it over DVI. Still no use for Sky-HD though!

16. roberte

roberte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Does Anyone Know The Following About Telewest
    Are They Going Hd Tv As Well Or Is Sky The Only Provider Thats Going Hdtv /

17. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would guess that HD is the future, that is until UHD becomes available ;)

18. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I think there'll be other formats inbetween that. Or something we haven't concidered. 3d tv is being tested apparantly.

19. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh but Ian - if you listen to popular music you should know that it's *CHILDREN* that are our future... ;)

...and I bet they all say "...and what a pigs arse you oldies all made of getting a decent TV standard set up." :laugh:

Phil

20. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Since cable operators have been squeezing the bandwidth given to TV in favour of broadband internet, I think it is unlikely that they could give enough bandwidth to support HDTV.

In theory the amount of data you can get down a cable, or rather optical fibre, is really huge. But it requires optical fibre right into the home, which none of the current cable providers in the UK have. And the UK cable companies are still in debt due to the cost of their initial installation. There are trials of fibre into the home in the US. Until then Sky will be in a very strong position, maybe rivalled only via the BBC's proposed "Freesat" service.

James

21. roberte

roberte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If telewest dont respond to this i think we could be seeing a major final nail in their coffin cos by 2006(MAYBE EVEN BY THE SUMMER OF 2005) i am sure that new lcd tv's will have hdcp compliance .
    People will want to get the most from these televisions ,and if they cant at telewest they will Change to sky.
    I THINK THEY BETTER GET THEIR ARSES IN GEAR !!!!