Sky+ & HDD vs non HDD recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richiecas, Oct 25, 2005.

1. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am getting sky + installed and plan to buy a DVD recorder but am unsure whether to get HDD or not. I think you can record direct from sky box to DVD. Is this correct and does it mean having to playback what is on sky box and record as per a 'live' programme. This means that you cannot watch something else while recording. Is this all correct.
    With a HDD recorder can you transfer what is on sky HD direct to recorder HD similar to a computer file or do you still have to do the same as above.

I am considering the sony GX210 or 510.
    Is there any point getting a HDD recorder if I have sky+?

|Also is the RGB pass thru problem on the 210 the same on the 510?

Is there any other recommendations keeping in mind I don't want to deal with DVD RAM?

2. johnmccoy

johnmccoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've got Sky+ and the 510 you are considering. Having an HDD in the recorder is very useful, it is much faster to edit the start, end and adverts of programmmes you've transferred rather than trying to do this on a RW disc, plus you can write the edited programme onto a clean DVD from the HDD at high speed. I find I copy over a lot of programmes during the night because, as you say, you cannot do anything with the box while it is copying - the DVD recorder has to encode the programme into mpeg compressed format and can only do this in real time, you can't copy the Sky+ files as they are the direct data stream as received from the satellite. The programmes sit on the HDD until I have time to go int and edit them into separate titles and cut out the ads etc.

The 510 has no RGB pass through problems.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    I have Sky+ and a Panasonic E85 with hard disc. As you can only transfer stuff from the Sky+ box in real time (hence not usable during this time) I tend to wait until I've got quite a few hours worth of stuff to transfer and then do it over night. You wouldn't be able to do this if you didn't have an HDD on the DVD recorder as you would be limited to the space available on a DVD.
    I disconnect the scart that goes from Sky+ to my TV and connect that to my E85 rather than use the video out on the Sky+ box as the video out isn't RGB.