1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ " HDD Upgrade" problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stonedragon, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I've just upgraded my HDD in my Sky box from 40GB to 200GB. All seemed to work well for about a week, but then programs stopped recording and the box would switch itself off after about 3 mins. It got so bad, that I put the original drive back in and this is working fine and without any problems.

Has anybody experienced this problem before and if so, how do I get around it?

BTW: The box is the new Amstrad type and the drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10@7200rpm (ps. the disk wasn't made quiet as some guides suggest)

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Can't say I've had the same problem, but any issue of hardware shutting itself down sounds like it could be a heat issue.
    Was your box unduly hot when it went 'tits up' ?? or had the fan in the box been on for long periods of time ??

Touch wood since I put my new 160Gb HD in its been fine, but I did turn the 'write verification' off and set the drive to 'quiet mode'. This could be an option for you, reformat the drive then follow these instructions to turn the said option on/off.

Good Luck........................

3. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can someone give more info on this 'quiet mode' please.

I have a standard Amstrad Sky+ box and have noticed that it makes quite a lot of noise whilst in operation. Is this the same issue you are talking about and if so what can I do to rectify the situation??

I actually thought I had a faulty box!!

4. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Not the same thing........... the 'quiet mode' is nothing to do with rectifying your noisy original Sky + box HD - Its an option to consider when upgrading the HD in your Sky box for a bigger disc, say 160 or 200 gig. As most (nay all) hard drives today have an RPM of 7200 they make a fair bit of noise and create a lot more heat than required. A standard HD found in an original Sky Box will be 5400rpm, the 'quiet mode' which can be used for today's newer HD's will slow the drive down, making it quieter and to some degree cooler.
    Hope that makes sense..............

If you need any more info on your problem give the DIGITAL SPY FORUMS a try.

5. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mr THX

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try putting it in quiet mode and it may be a heat issue with the box as it was quite hot when it was playing up. Will keep you posted on how I get on.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply to this.

6. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that Mr THX. Will have a look at the forum you suggest!