Sky HDD Replacement... again

Robert Hill

Standard Member
Reaction score
I know there's been a chunk of discussion in the past ref replacing SKY hard drives, but as my 40gb drive failed a while ago, for the 2nd time, and is well out of warranty, what is the best drive to get, bearing in mind that 5400rpm drives are not asy to get and PCWorld (hmm) down the road fm the office only stock 7200 drives, and there's a Maplin next door but one to get the bit (which I can't remember what it'scalled. is it 10mm??)? Also, what are series links, ref that you need to note them down and re-enter them?
Thanks for info, it's just that after doing a System restore, Housekeeping, and redownloaded the software, I rank Sky abt this, knowing the drive had failed again, and they said that for £65 an engineer could pop round. Well, for £85.00 I can get at 160gb drive from PC World (though I'll have to wait for an epoch for someone to take my money), so the engineer can pop off elsewhere. Tks.

Why on earth would you want to go to PC-World ? Are you a sadist ? :rolleyes:

Try companies like Technoworld on the 'net - you might have enough money left over for a few beers at the weekend :) :beer:

P.S. MAXTOR 160GB 5400RPM 2MB ATA133 D-MAX16 QuickVIEW 4R160L0 - £58 from Technoworld ! (Currently out of stock, but new stock arrives all the time).

You need a Torx #10 security tool for opening the box.

Nick_UK said:
Why on earth would you want to go to PC-World ? Are you a sadist ? :rolleyes:

Try companies like Technoworld on the 'net - you might have enough money left over for a few beers at the weekend :) :beer:

I know, I know...you don't have to tell me...I loathe the place...but it's just a few mins fm work, and a Maplins to boot nearby, so I can get a drive immediately. I concur with you!

Is it worth paying an extra £27 for a drive to save waiting a couple of days ?

Up to you, I suppose.

Well, I got A Samsung 160gb, 8bb 7200 from PC World for a shade under £65, so well happy, and as I was the only customer, no queue at the check out!

If you buy online for collect in store, PC World is very competitive with other online retailers.

Well, I've stuck in a Samsung 160gb 8mb Ultra low noise drive 7200rpm, dead quiet, and so far all is well! Remarkably easy to do, so long as one has the right bit to undo the casing. :clap:

The_callant said:
If you buy online for collect in store, PC World is very competitive with other online retailers.

Hmmm..... not sure about that.... maybe on a few lines. I don't shop in any DSG Retail group stores now - too many bad experiences.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom