Sky HD

N

nkhan

What signal is Sky HD output at
is it 720 or 1080i
I need this info to help with my purchase of a new tv

T

Tommy Angelo

The output is selectable in the setup menu.

You can choose 1080i, 720p or Auto to output in native, which is always 1080i.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

N

nkhan

Thanks
They say 720 is better at the mo.
Is 1366 x 768 better than 1280 x 720 or no different

T

Tommy Angelo

If you were inputing 1080i both would have to be downscaled so they would look similar. Maybe the 1366x768 panel would look slightly better but I think other factors would be much more important in picture quality.

But if 720p is being input you might be better of with a 1280x720 panel if the screen can do 1:1 pixel mapping.

pwood

Dont get caught up in pixel count. If its HD ready then there are more factors that effect pq. If you are pixel obsessed then look at a 1080 screen of which Sony are the best affordable option before the expensive Pioneer 1080p plasma.

M

Miller

I have a Sony X series. I play DVD's upscaled (to 1080i) through a Sony 860, along with Freeview, HDD recorded stuff, etc. And very good it is too.

However, it's not as good as the HD displays you get in the big retailers, the 'Tape Loop' that shows fishes on coral reefs, snow on mountain ranges, close ups of birds feeding, etc, etc.

AM I right in thinking that this source is true HD, as you might ger from a blue ray or HDD player AND Sky HD, i.e. not upscaled?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
AM I right in thinking that this source is true HD, as you might ger from a blue ray or HDD player AND Sky HD, i.e. not upscaled?

The demo should be native HD probably streamed from a PC or even these days a satellite feed or blu-ray player.
At home you are watching material that has been uspcaled to HD resolution but it was not created in HD so the DVD player and TV use an appication to fill in the gaps between 576i and 720p/1080i resolution.
The results can look very good depending upon the quality of the source material but native HD brings the screen to life:)

Giblets2

Congratulations for creating the daftest thread name by the way!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom