1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by SPURS1882, Jul 25, 2005.

1. SPURS1882

SPURS1882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi

Can some please tell me, when Sky HD is launched, will it show ITV. BBC, CH4, CH5 in HD?

Mike.

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I don't believe any concrete details as regarding HD programming on Sky have been released.

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    As others have stated - no UK broadcasters - Sky or others - have given concrete details of their HD plans.

I would imagine that the BBC are likely to go HD before ITV though. (ITV would have to wait for it to be commercial viable)

4. helicon2

helicon2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I believe Sky are talking about releasing HD at the end of the year. But as said above, nothing is set yet.

5. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go here and have a look around, a bit vauge though :eek:

6. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    and there is this....

BBC

Howard

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - though the BBC haven't confirmed that the extra transponder space is for HD. It could potentially be used for the 60 proposed local TV operations they are proposing to roll out of the "Where I Live..." websites, currently being piloted around the UK.

(The plan I heard was for there to be 10 channels, each carrying 6x10 minute bulletins, repeating hourly? That would also fit onto a transponder. Personally I reckon they'd be better off keeping this stuff on broadband, or using a quarter-resolution multi-screen style system like News Interactive...)

My gut feeling is that HD will appear from the BBC sometime next year - but I wouldn't say the transponder deal guarantees it...

8. poshngoldenball

poshngoldenball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following is the info we've just received from Sky containing the first confirmed details they've released on their upcoming high definition service...

"22 August 2005 -- British Sky Broadcasting (Sky) today announced the first details of the channels it will offer on its forthcoming High Definition (HD) television service launching in the UK and Ireland in early 2006. From launch, Sky HD, will include a Sky Sports channel, Sky One, Artsworld, a Sky Box Office channel and two Sky Movies screens, allowing viewers to enjoy a wide variety of programming with the intensity and rich detail of HD pictures.

The company is in advanced discussions with a number of other channels interested in offering an HD service on digital satellite and details will be announced over the coming months.

From launch, the Sky Sports channel will offer live and exclusive coverage of the Barclays Premiership in HD with the added benefit of Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Also available in HD will be live rugby from the Guinness Premiership, with other HD sports to be confirmed later.

From Sky Movies there will be two HD screens dedicated to films in HD, with titles available at launch including Spider Man 2, The Day After Tomorrow and House of Flying Daggers. In addition, movie fans will able to choose from up to ten movies in HD each week on Sky Box Office.

A simulcast version of the existing Sky One channel will deliver high-quality entertainment programming with a range of Sky One shows and cutting edge series in HD.

Sky HD's simulcast version of the existing Artsworld channel will offer a selection of arts programming including opera, dance, and classical music. The quality of HD broadcasts will transform the viewing experience offering stunning picture and sound quality, bringing alive performances of a wide range of artistic genres on the UK's only dedicated arts and culture channel.

Sky is also announcing that consumers in the UK will be able to pre-register for Sky HD in retail stores from Friday 26 August. First to launch the pre-registration service will be Comet and selected independent retailers, with other retailers to follow soon after. This will offer customers the opportunity to be among the first to receive Sky's HD service in the UK.

Brian Sullivan, Sky's Director of Customer Products and Services, said: "The launch of high definition will be the start of an exciting new era in broadcasting and Sky HD will offer stunning picture and sound quality for a broad selection of programmes. When this choice of viewing is combined with the Sky+ functionality of the Sky HD box, consumers who upgrade to HD Ready television sets can look forward to a viewing experience that will be truly transformed."

9. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    line-up seems a bit "weak"
    may have to re-consider that £400-£500 outlay just to be an early adopter....

10. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That is such a weak line up. I too will find it hard to justify that much cash for a handful of channels.
    Anyone know if the HD box will recieve the standard def sky broadcasts or are we talking having to have 2 sky boxes and therefore 2 subscriptions??
    Watching TV is going to to get very ******* expensive if both are required

11. LazenbyADT

LazenbyADT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new HD box will receive normal SD broadcasts. It would have too. Can`t see too many people forking out £400 then haveing to keep the old sky box as well.

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Thats what I thought, but if it gets upconverted by the box rather than prior to transmission then it will most likely look really crap.

13. LazenbyADT

LazenbyADT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me about it

I`m hoping to jump on the Flat Screen HD bandwagon early in the new year. (hoping for some cheap deals in the sales)

But at present

New Tv £1250
    TV Stand £100-280
    3 Year Warranty £250
    New Hi-Fi Stand £150
    SKY HD Box £400
    HDMI Cable etc £100+

£2250 Upwards !!!!!!!

14. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    It will have to be upconverted in the box.

There is no way Sky could upconvert and simulcast all the SD channels in HD - after all Sky don't provide many of the channels on their platform. (UKTV, Discovery, MTV/VH1 etc. are all independently provided)

There isn't the space available to provide HD upconverts of SD services currently on-air...

15. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For Sky One to have a meaningful HD output I can only assume it is going to receive a major investment boost. Most of Sky One's content is repeats, and only a fraction of it could be rebroadcast in HD.

What I suspect will happen with Sky One is that much of the daytime and primetime repeats that are SD-only will be moved to another channel such as the rumoured Sky Two or Sky Three. There will still be repeats on Sky One, but they will largely be repeats of old HD programming, which I suppose you could say is new to UK viewers.

With HD content on Sky One and Sky Sports 1 likely to be limited in the beginning the picture quality may get worse for SD viewers. Native HD material should look good when downconverted to SD, but what about SD material upconverted to HD and downconverted again for SD viewers?

16. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I think I missed it, but where does the quote of £400 for a box come from ?

17. LazenbyADT

LazenbyADT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an educated guess.

Most new generation boxes. Sky, Sky Digital, Sky+, Sky160 all seem to have a retail price of £400. Of course (fingers crossed) Sky may subsidise the cost of the boxes but with them giving away free sky + boxes this may not happen :lease:

18. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Sky one HD? Battlestar Galactica HD? :faints:

Call me cynical, but would the Sky sports and sky movies HD also require you to have the relevant Sky sports and Sky movies SD subs? I don't have those as I'm happy with DVD, but I'd be interested in a HD box office/movies offering. Sport I could care less about.

Sky one is a bonus that we weren't expecting. 'we are talking to broadcasters' probably means National Geographic and Discovery, so overall not bad. If they can bring at least one BBC compilation channel onboard that'd be enough for me to jump I think.

might have a wander into Comet at the weekend - see if the comet training college has paid off :)

19. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The channels offered doesn't look too bad - you know that Sky would have to be insane not to have all the big US shows that are already available in hidef (like Battlestar Galatica, 24 and Alias) on Sky One, even if some of them would be repeats for the launch.

The Sky movie channel looks the worst value at the moment and upstaged by the box office channels.

20. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    We are so far behind here in the UK I honeslty know nothing about HD transmissions but I dont understand why a USA HD company hasn't considered broadcasting to the UK > USA HD TV I would sign up for that as I am sure more or less everyone in this forum would :)

21. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Economics and practicalities - it's cheaper AND easier for US networks to sell their programming to other networks around the world, since they have the infrastructure and a whole lot more stuff (which I won't bore you with) already in situ.
    Life isn't as simplistic as it would seem or need to be - there's more involved in most things than meets the eyes.

22. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The US broadcasters make far more money selling content and letting UK broadcasters worry about the in's and out's of broadcasting such as licensing, uplinking, digital carriage, subscription fees/encryption etc etc.
    This will apply to HD just as it does to SD material now.

It is simply not worth their time and effort:)

23. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Though Disney/ABC do run their Disney and ABC1 branded services in the UK.

They wouldn't launch and HD service over here before a major platform (remember Sky is a platform as well as a channel operator) became available for HD. They would also be unlikely to launch a 60Hz service, so would have to pay significant amounts of money for HD 60/50 conversion. (The difficulty of running non-50Hz services in Europe mean 50Hz is the only standard likely to be used)

24. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The majority of the UK's ABC1 content have already been seen on many other channels both pay and free so it is not perhaps a great example after all two of CH4's biggest shows of the year are from the ABC network.

Disney do everything differently (complying to the DVD spec for one) and while their own branded movies do turn up on the premium Disney channel affiliated studios (Touchstone, Miramax) sell to the UK PPV and subscription channels and then onto "normal" telly.

25. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No mention of this on www.comet.co.uk - any independent retailers in the London area/Essex area on this forum have any information - i'll be round with my chequebook!

Well will be Saturday really as I'm typing this in Serbia - my laptop can't pick up any DVB-T transmissions BTW!

H :oops:

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Has anyone noticed that Sky specifically avoided mentioning just how many hours a week of HD they will be showing ?

"From Sky Movies there will be two HD screens dedicated to films in HD, with titles available at launch including Spider Man 2, The Day After Tomorrow and House of Flying Daggers. In addition, movie fans will able to choose from up to ten movies in HD each week on Sky Box Office."

Titles changed once a month presumably ? And you're queueing up with your cheque book ? Jeez, you've got it bad :rolleyes:

27. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I expect the two HD screens will be 24/7, no shortage of content after all and they chose to mention a few of the "big movies" as they would do when advertising the normal movie package.
    SBO HD again will I expect be pretty similar to the SD version.

It's not ideal but then look back to when any service starts, it's rarely fully formed but you've got to start somewhere:)

28. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I guess the interesting question for Sky Movies HD is will it be a mirror of SD movies, or will it be more a showcase of movies old and new, selected for HD presentation.

Hopefully the later - and in the early days might be the requirement in order to pull in the punters. Who wants to see The Land Before Time 27 in HD, and other channel padding? (OK, somebody does...)

What might be more interesting is whether Sky are able to source some of the movies many people really will want to see in HD, like Star Wars or Matrix, or whether the studios will hold these back in order to support their lauch of HD DVDs

29. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yep I would also like to see a more rounded selection, perhaps the feel of the product will be like the early days after the SKY/BSB merger and before the move to digital.

The Matrix trilogy has been shown on US HD channels and so have the LOTR trilogy and Potter movies so I expect we will get them as well. I haven't seen the original Star Wars trilogy but AOTC has been shown.

30. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    from their PR, it might take them a while to line up all the studios. Aren't the three they mention all Sony/columbia pictures? (Spiderman2, Day after tomorrow, House of flying Daggers)