Sky Hd

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by zest, Feb 1, 2005.

1. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, this is my first post on this forum so please go easy! I am not much of a techy, but for the best part of a year have been considering buying a plasma screen such as the PW6 or PW7. I have been reading the posts regarding Sky HD and its compatablites with certain displays. Now correct me if I am wrong but it appears that only pioneer plasmas such as the xde can display HD material to its full potential. Now lets say sky did start its HD service in 2006 :rolleyes: The majority of the uk in one years time will still own a CRT, a small percentage plasma and a few LCDS all of which are unable to receive the broadcast! I realise certain displays can scale down images such to suit but this is not HD. If sky chooses to use HDMI the audience will be virtually so insignificant that it will madness, I would say that 90% of the population have no idea what HD is, own a CRT and would not pay increased subscription for the same programming but a better image. If sky plan to make HD successful they need to make it assessable and value for money. Most people are quite happy with the standard Sky movie channel pictures (well some channels are dodgy!) its all just seems a bit crazy. :rolleyes:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    As I understand it, Sky will be using HDMI as it also allows HDCP (copy protection) to be applied to the signal. To begin with at least, most of Sky's HiDef programs will come from the US and the owners of the shows will insist on HDCP so, if Sky want to show HiDef material, they are not going to have a choice over HDMI/HDCP.

John

3. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dont think the US's copy protection works very well. You can "obtain" all the top US shows via the internet, and they are all from HDTV sources??

4. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes BUT the ones off the net are NOT HD ones. PEOPLE will pay for it.

Sky basically 'have' to use HDMI as it uses the HDCP THAT the 'owners' of the shows want on it. This will stop some people copying them and upping them to the net or backing them up themselves. Well until someone cracks it that is :p

It is about progress and as more of the public take on HDTV more HDTV compatible tv's will be about. It all takes time and just with about all the changes in the past some people will be left out. Either way it will be better for plasma owners here. They may not get the 'full' resolution but it sure as hell will be better then the standard OTA stuff or Sky normal stuff.

Koing

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Already happened. That's where internet content comes from, some of it is real hi def. There are quite a few skyHD threads having discussed this ad nauseum, the upshot is that there are those who are adamant that sky will toe the HDCP line, others who are sure that some form of 'getout clause' most likely in the form of component video output (analogue) will have to be incorporated, or sky will not get sufficient takeup to be commercially viable even long term. It's estimated that 4 odd % of european households will have genuinely HD compliant displays by 2008, that's pathetic, no business case to be made for supply of HDTV. It would be just a money pit for the Murdoch empire, studios digging the hole to bury his cash in. Not saying it won't happen that way, just pointing out the commercial realities.

6. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with MAW. Also worth pointing out that SKYs licensing agreement does not permit them to sell boxes outside the UK. I have two boxes in France with the full package. They are not bothered in policing it, they get their monthly subscription, although if you asked the question of them they will tell you it is not allowed. It may be possible that a similar situation arises with HD tv. Provided SKY have done sufficient to please the studios, the policing of protected delivery is going to be of little interest to them methinks......