Sky HD Worth it? Need help ASAP

Howzatone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Right, getting myself a new HD TV for Christmas, in my bedroom. We're already Sky subscribers with like, every channel possible paid for. Iwas wondering, as my local Comet are still doing the deal to get half price Sky HD when you buy a TV, what my fees would be, and whether I'd only pay £10/month and the £150 fee for the box?

Is it worth the money?

Jake

Right, getting myself a new HD TV for Christmas, in my bedroom. We're already Sky subscribers with like, every channel possible paid for. Iwas wondering, as my local Comet are still doing the deal to get half price Sky HD when you buy a TV, what my fees would be, and whether I'd only pay £10/month and the £150 fee for the box?

Is it worth the money?

Jake

Hay, read the site! I would not be without it! Watching it now after a long day at work! HD is out of this world! SD upscaled also far superior to Sky+. Brilliant. hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Okay, that clears something up for me.

But now, I need to know prices, and whether I can use the multiroom subscribtion, to use the Sky HD in the room for the multiroom?

Ta

I'm gonna be dead straight with you here....if Sky want to start charging me for HD next year (I don't pay at the moment - I got it on free trial for a year) I'm gonna tell them to take it away.

It's not that the quality isn't there - it's absolutely stunning. It's just that for the limited channels and the repeated content, I wouldn't pay £10 per month for it at the moment. I know there is more on the way - but I can only go on what's there today.

Eventually most channels will just shift over to HD and we'll accept HD as the new SD....a bit like everyone got used to having colour television.

I'd hang fire if it was my money....if you're a football fan, who loves documentaries, live music and movies you could be persuaded I guess, but if you also have a family like mine that insists on Eastenders, Peppa Pig and the Simpsons, you'll £120 per year better off if you wait for a bit.

<don's flame proof jacket ;)>

If you're multirooming your other Sky plus that'll be another &#163;120 per year.....&#163;240 for a hand full of channels.....I think Mr. Murdoch probably takes enough off you already doesn't he? It's a heavy bill when you factor in your licence etc.....

Nick

Okay, thanks, I've got a bit more questions, and if you oculd answer them i;d be most pleased :D

1) Can I watch the Ashes and the Premiership LIVE on HD?
2) Can I use the Multiroom room to put the Sky HD in?
3) Do any cartoons like Family Guy look better in HD?
4) Will I only have to pay the extra &#163;10 a month and the &#163;150 fee for the HD box itself?

Okay, thanks, I've got a bit more questions, and if you oculd answer them i;d be most pleased :D

1) Can I watch the Ashes and the Premiership LIVE on HD?
2) Can I use the Multiroom room to put the Sky HD in?
3) Do any cartoons like Family Guy look better in HD?
4) Will I only have to pay the extra £10 a month and the £150 fee for the HD box itself?

The Ashes is broadcast on SD and upscaled SD, it's not native HD but still looks good. All Premiership, Championship, Carling/Fa cup games are in native HD.
Yeah you can have SKY+ HD as part of a multiroom setup.
It's not a native HD programme and upscaled SD can be a bit hit and miss, The Simpsons isn't very impressive and that's all I can say, don't watch Family guy.
If you can get a £150 deal then make sure installation is free otherwise it's another £60. The HD sub is £10 so yes that's all for the monthly part, multiroom and SKY+ part are taken care of.

The Ashes is broadcast on SD and upscaled SD, it's not native HD but still looks good. All Premiership, Championship, Carling/Fa cup games are in native HD.
Yeah you can have SKY+ HD as part of a multiroom setup.
It's not a native HD programme and upscaled SD can be a bit hit and miss, The Simpsons isn't very impressive and that's all I can say, don't watch Family guy.
If you can get a £150 deal then make sure installation is free otherwise it's another £60. The HD sub is £10 so yes that's all for the monthly part, multiroom and SKY+ part are taken care of.

Okay, if all of them channels are NOT Native HD programmes, then what are? And do any programmes look worse in HD? Thanks

1. You want to watch the Ashes? Must be an Aussie! Yes Premiership is HD, Ashes isn't - SD scaled up

2. Yes - I have Sky Plus in the kitchen, Sky HD in the front room

3. No - infact Simpsons looks worse on my TV (but you don't have to watch it on SkyOne HD - you can just go to Sky One instead)

4. Not sure - I think you may have to pay &#163;10 multiroom too I think - you'll have to check the deal yourself though. Oh and perhaps Installation....&#163;60 I think...

bugger - sorry for duplicating answers chap - didn't see previous replies.

Oh and LOST looks cool......

I would add that another part of the Should I get Sky HD? equation is precisely WHAT HD TV you are getting for Christmas?

You can see a difference on any good HD TV, but there are very definite differences. Size matters. Anything over 32 inches improves the experience. Some think you need over 40 inches to get the best out of HD.

The plasma versus LCD debate figures as well, because it dictates the quality of the SD broadcasts you will see (most programmes and channels are still SD!) This in turn relates to the difference that you will see between SD and HD and how great HD might appear subjectively by comparison.

Also depends on the kind of shows you watch. Football is transformed by HD. So if you like that its a definite yes, I would say.

Nature shows are also fantastic in HD.

Some drama series are better than others but many look very good in HD.

Movies are hit and miss as one of the Sky HD movie channels is far better than the other!

We are very happy, but I would say be realistic. Do not expect the hype to be true about it being like going from black and white to colour. It is more akin to going from video to DVD.

Okay, and I'm an English cricket fan, still enjoy watching it, even with Kevin Pietersen the only one getting runs... but back on topic, I think I've gotten a lot of my answers.

Only question I need answering now is when Sky would come and install it now? :p

And BTW, I am getting the Samsung LE26R74BDX. It all sounds an okay improvement, and I'm pretty sure that just having Sky in my bedroom will be good enough :D

Jake

I've had mine to play with for a day, once I got the tv settings right, the picture quality on all channels is ace, sd channels upscaled look great, watched some planet earth in HD earlier, mind blowing. Well worth the money so far, especially if you don't already have sky +

toooo much money with not enough HD content. £120 a year on top of normal £40 odd monthly subscription payment, on top of installation, on top of cost for top box. Wait for a year or 2 when the content increases and the offfers for lower prices increases.:hiya:

Had HD about 3 weeks now and TBH I find myself checking what's on the HD channels before I look at anything else. ATM however, there isn't a great deal to keep me occupied for a full evening, although This months subs were easily worth it for the Chelsea v Newcastle game last week. I moved my armchair five feet from the screen, surrounded myself with speakers, cranked up the AV receiver and was in my element.... absolutely superb sound and vision... a veritable televisual feast! :thumbsup:

Popped into my local currys today to see the HD live prem game. Really good detail.

I went into about 3 different comets/currys today and even though all in HD, the detail varied more than I thought it would.

I saw it in hd on a samsung, sony and pioneer. The 32" samsung killed the opposition.

Maybe the settings for the diiferent setups were different, causing the changing quality.

I'm gonna be dead straight with you here....if Sky want to start charging me for HD next year (I don't pay at the moment - I got it on free trial for a year) I'm gonna tell them to take it away.

It's not that the quality isn't there - it's absolutely stunning. It's just that for the limited channels and the repeated content, I wouldn't pay £10 per month for it at the moment. I know there is more on the way - but I can only go on what's there today.

Eventually most channels will just shift over to HD and we'll accept HD as the new SD....a bit like everyone got used to having colour television.

I'd hang fire if it was my money....if you're a football fan, who loves documentaries, live music and movies you could be persuaded I guess, but if you also have a family like mine that insists on Eastenders, Peppa Pig and the Simpsons, you'll £120 per year better off if you wait for a bit.

<don's flame proof jacket ;)>

If you're multirooming your other Sky plus that'll be another £120 per year.....£240 for a hand full of channels.....I think Mr. Murdoch probably takes enough off you already doesn't he? It's a heavy bill when you factor in your licence etc.....

Nick

how have you got sky hd on approval as this is what i would like to do before i buy it, i already have sky+

I work at Sony and they we're doing a deal with Bravia/Sky promotion for the first year. If there isn't a shed-load more HD content by the time the offer runs out - I'll get them to come and take it away.....hopefully they say they can't be bothered but as it stands I'm not paying £240 extra on top of my £40 per month subscription. Not ever. £40 per month plus licence fee is plenty for the amount of TV I watch - most of my movies will be on Blu-Ray come March (PS3) and I might get a HD-DVD standalone if the price crumbles in a couple of years. Shame the BluRay and HD-DVD thing couldn't have been resolved amicably......(hey I wonder if the PS3's firmware could be modified to read HD-DVD too??? - making it a Dual Format Player :smashin: ).....too political....I digress sorry.

that clears that up nicely.
Like you i am not going to shell out loads more dosh until there is more to see on hd.
What i wil do is go and watch someones hd and see what i think.

Its good but not worth the £10 IMHO

I will cancel the subscription after the year is up

I opted to go for HD, mainly because I was only on the entertainment 6 mix package - so for another tenner a month (plus initial £150 cost) I get Sky+ ability and the HD content. Works for me ...

Right now the programme content is very good and HD quality does look excellent. How long that will last remains to be seen.

I've already pretty much stopped using it now (the last straw was Sky+ failing *again*). The cancellation will happen as soon as my 12 months is up. A bit better quality isn't worth the hassle of the crappy SkyHD box - I can view HD films on HDDVD anyway and they're much better quality than SkyHD ever will be.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom