Sky HD without sky+ feature

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by davepuma, Aug 16, 2006.

1. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Hi,

Would the Sky HD box work without the second LNB feed as it's for the second tuner? We have no need for the sky+ feature. If the box has to have the 2nd LNB feed connected, will the sky+ work without a telephone line connected?

Cheers :)

2. smiffy333

smiffy333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yep it will work without the second feed just like Sky+
    You need the telephone line connected if you have a Sky subscribtion as they do periodic checks.

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I thought sky gave up on the requirement for the telephone line long ago. I've never had telephone line connected since I got sky installed. The engineer wanted to run the cable around the skirtings doors etc. but I said I would run it under the floor. I didn't bother as I don't need to order Domino's pizzas or vote in sky news pointless polls etc! ! However, I had heard that the telephone line was required for sky+ updates.

Thanks

4. GeoffWork

GeoffWork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am doing battle with Sky because they have been charging me a surcharge saying my two extra bedroom boxes were not connected to the phone line, despite the installation being just as Sky left it and them having confirmed down the phone line that they are connected. My bills reached almost £130 per month and no-one, up to James Murdoch is sorting it out, they pass it onto other people who fudge the answer. I had both extra boxes disconnected in despiration.
    Rant over, yes, in my opinion you do need to be connected.

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    That's presumably because you had a mirror sub?

It's well known that Sky do check that mirror sub boxes are connected to the same line. This is part of the T&C.

However, for standalone boxes, the conventional wisdom seems to be that Sky do not check for phone connections.

6. rentagas

rentagas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If you have one LNB connected the sky plus features will still work (ie live pause, timeshifting etc.) but you can only record what you are watching etc. The telephone requirement is enforced rigorously for multiroom but not for standalone installations.
    The telephone is not needed for updates.