Sky HD without HD ready TV

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by paraboy, Sep 17, 2007.

1. paraboy

paraboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible to have an HD box connected to a non HD ready TV. The reason that I am asking is that I am moving house soon and can only afford one thing at a time so the Sky HD box will have to come first so that I only pay for one installation when I move, the telly will come later when I get the cash.

Any thoughts would be great, cheers the noo.

2. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You can connect sky HD to a non HD TV by connecting it via Scart or component, for a true HD picture you will need to buy 'true HD TV' 1080p capable ( one that outputs 1980x1080 ), you will need this spec of TV to play Blu-ray or HD DVDs ( in their native output ) as well if you intend to go that way.

So if you want to buy the sky HD first and HD tv later you can do just that.

3. vinz420

vinz420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I have a different opinion unfortunately.

Well, before everything else, the answer to your question is yes, you can use Sky HD with a Standard Def TV.

Now, the biggest thing I have noticed is that it will cost you anywhere from £150 up to £300 for the box (+ installation in a lot of cases), then pay £10 a month for HD subscription = you cant make use of any of these money you're spending it on!!! Why? Because your TV will not be capable of reproducing HD images, you will be throwing all that money straight in the bin.

I would personally invest in a good HDTV, then buy Sky HD when you have some spare money.

Another explanation I can do is:
    Sky HD = should only be used with a decent-sized HDTV to see an advantage

HDTV = you can use with all your existing gadgets + more! You can connect game consoles, amplifiers, etc etc.

I hope you get my point...

4. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I think you should get the HD box installed. As you suggest it would be a waste of money getting a SD box installed now then paying for another installation later. You will also benefit from an improved picture quality on most TV's, especially if they can make use of HDMI or component inputs.

5. paraboy

paraboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks I do get your point but if you look at my thread it will explain why I want to buy the Sky HD box first, I hope that i have explained it okay, cheers the noo.

6. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    The TV doesn't have to be 1920x1080 to receive a HD Picture. It has to be a minimum Spec of 720p. A 1024x720, 1024x768, 1366x768 HD display will give you a HD image from any HD source, i.e. a Sky HD Box.

Ofcourse if you want a True HD TV then you'd have to get a 1080p TV, but there are very few sources that will display at 1080p. Sky HD doesn't output at 1080p, only 1080i.

You don't need a 1080p TV to play Blu-Ray and HD DVD's. Any HD TV with the resolutions mentioned will do fine, and to be honest, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between those and a 1920x1080 unless the screen is at least 52" +(1080p), or you sit 4 feet from the screen (which next to nobody does).

My advice would be, if you do intend to get a HD TV eventually, to get the SkyHD box, connect to your TV via scart, but DONT take out the HD sub until you get the HD TV. It simply won't be worth it for the time being, and it will be £10 extra a month in your pocket.

7. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I know you don't need 1080p to play a Blu ray or HD DVD ! , perhaps my wording should have been blu ray and HD DVD are 1080p capable so it makes sense to buy a TV which is 1080p compatible so you can benifit from the full resolution ( there will be plenty 1080p compatible TVs out in the future when he is thinking of buying one, or one out now is the Sony KDL-W2000 range which I have ).

About vinz420s comment that dosen't make sense to me ! ( no offence ! you are welcome to your opinion mate ! ). It makes sense to me paraboy to buy the HD box first. Whats the point installing a sky + or Standard sky box when you want HD in the future it would be a huge waste of money ! just go for it :thumbsup:

8. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Yes, but a 1080p TV doesn't always mean it's going to look better than that of a lower resolution TV.

According to the Imaging Science Foundation, a group that consults for home-theater maufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, the most important aspect of picture quality is contrast ratio, the second most important is color saturation, and the third is color accuracy. Resolution comes in a distant fourth, despite being easily the most-talked-about HDTV spec today.

In the last couple of years, there has been a big influx of HDTVs with 1080p native resolution, which typically cost a good deal more than their lower-resolution counterparts. But, once you get to high-def, the difference between resolutions becomes much more difficult to appreciate. It becomes even more difficult at smaller screen sizes or farther seating distances ,say, more than 1.5 times the diagonal measurement of the screen.

Standard Definition material will also suffer on a 1920x1080 screen, unless the TV has excellent scalling capabilities.

Unless you're getting a very large set, say 52 inches or more, I wouldn't recommend basing a buying decision on whether or not the television has 1080p native resolution.

Having said all that I do have a 1080p LCD myself, but I'd swap it in the morning for an 8G Pioneer Plasma (1024x768 resolution).

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    That conclusion is utter rubbish. You don't even need colour as a monochrome programme can be perfectly acceptable but a blurry low resolution image would be unwatchable.

10. BSNismo

BSNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    surely a native 1080p panal is gonna be better for sky as it outputs 1080i so it is matching it pixel for pixel on my tv this looks stunning with underscan turned on 1.1 mapping to my eyes looks better than a lower res tv would.i get pin sharp images not like some ive seen of freinds with lower res lcds that look washed out and and almost blurry.i also agree i would buy the hd box now i couldnt contemplate buying a std or+ box if your gonna change it again.

11. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    For the record, and to answer the OP's question, i'd source one from elsewhere, not from sky. if you want one from sky you'll pay £100 more for the box unless you take the £10 a month HD subs, despite the fact you won't be able to watch in HD. Once you have your TV you can get the HD subs activated @£10 monthly, but be aware it's a NEW 12 month contract for the HD subs.

12. CaffeineJunkie

CaffeineJunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You are partly right, and thats the problem.
    A blurry low resolution image would be unwatchable but 1366x768 isn't a blurry low resolution image. I too have a 1080p screen (Sony 40x2000) but for the vast majority of the time that resolution is wasted as I sit so far from the screen (oh poor me, I have a huge living room). For a 40" screen at 1080p, in order to perceive the detail you need to sit 5.5 feet away.
    You don't need colour, but how much of the programming you view is in colour? A panel that can give more accurate colour reproduction (something that your eyes can perceive) is better than one that gives 1080 resolution at a viewing distance of 10 feet (which your eyes cant perceive).

See above... and those lower res lcd panels might just have been cheap and had poor colour as well.

Many people think that the new sony D3000 (a 768 screen) gives a better picture than my X2000 because of its improved colour display (10bit colour).

13. Calply

Calply
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For what it is worth I have a Panasonic 42" with the resolution of 852 x 480, and the picture on some HD channels is superb, I watched planet earth last night and on that picture quality I could not justify spending the momey on upgrading the TV.

14. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    We sit about 15 feet from a 10 foot wide screen. I have a 1366x768 LCD projector. I am sure that I would see improved picture detail & quality if we upgraded to a 1080p projector.

15. Keane

Keane
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    You don't really need a 1080p set to do any of these things, especially not for Sky HD.

16. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I think you are just confirming what Caffiene Junky and Silver Serpent have already said about screen size and viewing distance.
    Resolution only ever plays a part if your screen is big enough or you are sat close enough to it.

17. BSNismo

BSNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    well my friends lcd is a philips i dont know the model number but there normally pretty well thought of he himself has said that he prefers my picture with sky hd plus surely 1080p panal has to be better because its not having to upscale or descale its displaying as the same as it leaves sky?,also i have just sold a 47 toshiba which was a 1080 panal and that was even more noticable compared to his philips so i dont get what this being only over 50 inch to really see the difference with 1080p,but my sharp wipes the floor with my old tosh.

18. CaffeineJunkie

CaffeineJunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'm sure you would see an improvement.

Assuming you did actually mean what you wrote and have a 10 foot wide screen (most screen measurements are for the diagonal distance).
    That would mean your screen is nearly 3.5 times bigger than my 40" screen.

It also means that at anything less than 19 feet you will tell the difference between 1080 and 720.

I'm guessing that the original poster isn't getting a 10 foot wide projected screen though so the original comments stand.