Sky HD without hard drive?

Broadsword

I ordered a new multi room Sky HD box which they will come and install an octo lnb and fit new cables for £60 plus a multiroom charge. I did this online as the box was free on the website so thought it wasn't a bad deal. The phone people wanted £199 for another box.

When I spoke to sky a day or so later the lady said I would be getting a SkyHD compatible box but would not be able to pause or record. She said people were asking for cheaper boxes that they could view HD on but they didn't need the PVR funtionality of it and this was the box I would be getting.

Anyone heard of this? The website definitely said "SkyHD (no HD pack)" next to the option. This option was free for the box, as was the Sky HD (with HD pack) option, nothing mentioned about no Sky+ function.

So just exactly what box will I be getting? Any ideas?

Smurkenstein

Never heard of this one before - box with no HDD is completely new to me.

simon194

I ordered a new multi room Sky HD box which they will come and install an octo lnb and fit new cables for £60 plus a multiroom charge. I did this online as the box was free on the website so thought it wasn't a bad deal. The phone people wanted £199 for another box.

When I spoke to sky a day or so later the lady said I would be getting a SkyHD compatible box but would not be able to pause or record. She said people were asking for cheaper boxes that they could view HD on but they didn't need the PVR funtionality of it and this was the box I would be getting.

Anyone heard of this? The website definitely said "SkyHD (no HD pack)" next to the option. This option was free for the box, as was the Sky HD (with HD pack) option, nothing mentioned about no Sky+ function.

So just exactly what box will I be getting? Any ideas?

You will be getting one of the new Amstrad DRX595 non-PVR HD boxes which came out a couple of month ago. BTW it also does Dolby Digital over HDMI.

logiciel

Seems sky has a curious breed of employee who just randomly make stuff up.
Not just "seems" - they definitely do have them!
Not in this case though, as she was right - as simon194 says the new model came out recently, and it has often been mentioned on the forum.

interbear

They certainly do exist. I was looking to get HD channels into the kid's playroom. Called Sky today and my options were:-

1. New Sky+HD box, rewire for new multiroom location, £199 for the box plus subs.
2. Refurb an old broken Sky+HD box that I have, rewire for new multiroom location. £105 for the work plus subs.
3. New SkyHD "viewing box" (supports HD but not recording) - free box, free install, subs costs only.

Guess which one I went for :D Kids will live without recording capabilities.

And it gives me an option when I want to watch live HD fitba in another room.

I compared this vs the alternative of paying a local installer to run cables into the room and buy a Humax Freesat HD box. Even with the Sky multiroom subs, option 3 above seems the best value option for the next 12 months, during which I can enjoy the full Sky World package in the playrooom. I can always cancel the multiroom after 12 months and use it as a freesat HD box after that, if I want to reduce the monthly cost.

If anyone is looking for it online they call it a SkyHD box as opposed to Sky+HD box.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom