Sky HD - will it allow 2 outputs at the same time

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by the_oldhams, Mar 26, 2006.

1. the_oldhams

the_oldhams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anybody know whether the SKY HD box will allow output to say a HD device through HDMI/component plus output through the SCART. The reason I ask is that at present I have an AE700 projector which I would use for the HD stuff through either HDMI/component, however for most other TV watching I am still happy to use my trusty 32 CRT (much better picture than for SD stuff than these LCD/plasma). I am thinking that perhaps I may have to switch output in SKY HD set-up if i want to switch between using the HDMI or SCART - what do people think ?

Thanks

2. czytt

czytt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have emailed Sky about this (amongst other things), and will post their response when (or if) I get one.

Jerry

3. Mike_CA

Mike_CA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    All the cable/SAT boxes that I have seen allow HDMI, component, and well as coax (always in SD even if watching HD) to be outputted at the same time. I expect that SCART would be the same.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There will be both HD and SD output of the same channel but still some question on if the Component and HDMI outputs will allow HD at the same time. You would think so but this is SKY and of course if HDCP is enforced then HD on HDMI only, not kept up with the TVDrive so not sure how it handles the situation.

5. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You hav'nt looked at the tvdrive then,If you use HDMI that is all you get...no scart,no component a right pain.

6. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung SP46L6HX - 46" DLP RPTV HD-Ready:thumbsup:

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Ouch:eek:
    Maybe that will be sorted once the new update is rolled out along with DD5.1 audio. TW did make a point that you could watch HD and record offboard at the same time so you have to get at least two outputs working given that a DVDr is SD only.

8. Mike_CA

Mike_CA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I don't know about TVDrive since I'm from the US. But all the US HD boxes that are currently available that I have seen, if you are watching HD then HDMI and Component will output HD and the coax will output a SD signal with black bars on the top and sides all at the same time. In other words, the coax will show letter box. If you switch to a SD channel, the coax will output SD where as the HDMI and Component will output the value defined in the 4:3 override capability (some boxes don't have this capability) which will be 480i, 480p, or stretch.

All US boxes allow you to define what is going to be outputted on the HDMI and Component. That can be either passthrough, 480i, 480p 720p, or 1080i. Not every box supports all those settings such as my current box only supports 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i as possible settings.

I expect that the Thompson box would probably have some what similar capabilities. However, the US has been watching HDTV for several years now so maybe Thompson will repeat the mistakes that we made with our earlier boxes.

9. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Mike, so your box enforces scaling of material that isn't already in the output res you've selected?

10. mossesque

mossesque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If I am correct, ref the Sky HD powerpoint demo, the answer to your question is no.

By reading the importane of HDMI only, and not scart, if you plug a scart lead into the HD box, this will overide the HDMI and show all images is SD.

But I could be wrong, in 8 weeks or so, we'll find out

11. Mike_CA

Mike_CA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yah, mine (Motorola 6412) unfortunately enforces scaling. The Scentific Atlanta 8300 HD has a pass through capability or 720p and 1080i but that screws people that only have an old EDTV monitor which only accepts 480p.

At least Thomson has had a bit of experience with HD DVR like units so maybe they learned from their mistakes. The produced a AVHDD (a firewire based DVR) RCA DVR2160 that I almost purchased. However, because of different reasons, I abandoned that plan. Also the unit that Thomson was producing had a couple of problems. It was ugly as hell and the hard drive that they used was very noisy.

12. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I'm sure that the presentation stated that S-Video would always be on. It didnt state this alongside any other output though?

:eek: