1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD will have component output?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cj, Mar 10, 2005.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
  2. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Without HDCP it may be a little pointless, we shall see. One would presume that early Sky broadcasts would have as little HDCP protected content as possible, just to try and get that all important market share. Looks like Sony are clutching at straws. I must presume they are not just about to release a whole load of top quality DVI (HDCP) or HDMI kit on to the market.

Not the first time that Sony will have a good product, but very little media to play....

3. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Reminds me of the first sony sky box with digital audio output, and all the fuss from sony about it being the only box with it on, wasnt long before SKY turned it off via software update, as sony had diverted from the specs of the digibox standard.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All their press releases are quite clear on the subject, may their souls rot in hell!!

5. sathelp

sathelp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sky did not turn it off. Sony did not build the set top box with any Dolby Digital decoder. The set top box could only output PCM from the start.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Looks more hopeful. Although the connection would not be digital, you would still get a picture superior to SD Sky, which is all a lot of people want.

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Well with the (limited) HD material available early on that's pretty much what you'll be getting, normal SD Sky broadcasts for a much higher subscription!!

Then everyone without DVI/HDMI will think they're safe since they have a box with analogue outs, HD content will increase, Sky will activate HDCP on absolutely everything, then because you're tied into the HDTV contract you'll be forced to by a new plasma with a HDCP protected input or have a dud TV subscription. Forgive the cynicism, but you know it's gonna happen!!

8. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Murdoch must make a fortune on all subscribers.....

9. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that Murdoch makes less than he'd like from each subscriber... he has shelled out some silly money for sports contracts and is reaching saturation point with people who after all these years still haven't subscribed to SKY and yet can be talked into it...

HD will be a seminal point for SKY, they have their hands tied to a large degree by the content owners around use of HDCP but their subscriber base of zealous early adopters have incompatible low res or analogue kit... they can't afford to alienate either side. A delicate balance methinks... :rolleyes:

10. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Sorry where is the part of my post that said it was dolby digital???

I said digital audio out, sky did turn it off (if it came back on I dont know but my friends who are dealers ALL complained that customers were coming back saying it was broken and sonys name was on the box.

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I don't understand what you are saying has been switched off. The Sony box I used to use worked fine via its optical connector, the whole reason I bought it. PCM only but that was expected.

12. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Edited above post, as i say I know dealers who were all complaining cos customers were coming back saying it not working, I also read in the news that sky had turned it off!

Maybe they gave in to pressure and turned it back on, i dont know this is just what i read and was told :)

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Lord knows then, mine was bought off the forums. Wondering if it was botched or a v2 or something.

14. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Maybe Sony are just saying hey we can take HDTV on these inputs and trying to force sky to take the componet route, by doing a press release saying we can take HDTV on these inputs, who turns out to be the bad people in the buyers eyes.... SKY

Sonys release goes against everything everything sky have said HDCP and hmdmi and dvi, there just trying to force skys hand

15. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    If its still on then great for pcm audio :)

Here is a snippet I found on the net

The Sony box has only recently being released, after it's announcement over a year ago, due to some controversy over it's facilities and the price! - however, the Sony box is the only one to include a Digital Optical Audio Output (the source of the controversy!) and it's not certain if it's enabled or not (a letter in the boxes says not, but samples I've tested work OK). I've recently spoken to Sony Technical, who assure me that the Digital Optical Audio Output is now fully working, the box just needs updating to the latest software version - which should be done by the installer before authorisation of the card/box

I tried adding the crystal audio chip mod to my first box around this time and it wouldnt work maybe it does now???

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Actually Sony's release entirely agrees with Skys, and more appears to be cofnusing people into thinking their boxes will give something that Skys wont. We have always known *protected* information will be limited to HDCP connectivity, but that non-protected can be done via analogue. The question has always been what will be protected. So Sony's announcement is saying "our box has component connections which can do HDTV signals" without making it clear that this is only if material is non-HDCP. So we're still in exactly the same boat as before. With the buzz going around at the moment the cynic in me thinks Sony knew all to well everyone would assume their box will do what others can't, and since it seems HDCP won't be used at all initially early adopters will think they are on to a good thing. The only thing we can hope for is that Sony make the box architecture in such a way that a hacker could activate the component connectors to work even with HDCP stuff... Actually does the HDTV STB design being used by Sky not include component connectivity as well???

17. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    What part are you looking at for it to entirely agree with skys release?

Even digital spy says

SKY Says

HOW WILL SKY'S HDTV RECEIVER CONNECT TO THE TV DISPLAY?
    · The receiver will have an HDMI connector (High Definition Multimedia Interface) as its primary means of connecting to an HD display. HDMI can also be connected to DVI equipped displays using a suitable adaptor cable.

· Most HDTV content will be protected by HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). This means most HDTV content will only be able to be viewed on display devices that have HDCP software built into them.

This is slightly at odds with Sony's press release and Digital Spy is working to get a definitive answer from Sky on this.

Anything else is pure specualtion simple as that. but I will speculate :)
    on the topic of *protected* I am sure all the owners of analogue compatible equipment will enjoy flower arranging and DIY SOS in HDTV because you can bet none of the good HDTV programming will be going out unprotected.. ie movies and sports

18. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    "Sky’s most recent announcement has clarified that all current models will be able to receive HD broadcast via the analogue component inputs."

Selective truth is a powerful thing... they can and have said their TVs are compatible with HD signals, from Skys service, using component connections, and are totally correct. Even using another box with component connections it is going to be possible to view some HD content via analogue. What they have not said is if their TVs will accept *HDCP encoded* HD content rather than just any HD content.

So in essence it still agrees entirely with Sky's release that HDCP content will only be viewable via HDCP connections. Sony have said nothing in that statement which contradicts this. If they had used the word "all" when saying HD broadcast, or better still just came out and said "HDCP encoded HD material" then this would be news. As it is this is nothing new whatsoever, just a bit of stirring for some free publicity for Sony.

Everyone is being annoyingly vague on the subject with terms like "primary means of connecting" which neither confirms nor denies that HDMI/DVI will be a necessity. "Most HDTV content will be protected by HDCP" which doesn't suggest whether we are talking just pay-per-view stuff, or every bit of HD content.

19. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Can you point me in the direction of the sky release that says they will use analogue component inputs for hdtv, thanks

20. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sorry I don't have one and I imagine none exists, but there isn't one that says it won't either. Back to point of selective truth, the statement says "primary means" which doesn't rule out component connectivity, but could equally mean there will be an S-Video socket too!!! Current HD sattelite services are displaying HD material right now via component connections.

Sony's statement is nothing new except for confirming that a box will be available with component connections, that will be useable with Sky HD. But the component output still may or may not work with anything you actually want to watch! (depending on if it is encrypted or not) The simple fact remains that to retain your HDCP license as a manufacturer you MUST disable analogue output when HDCP material is being shown. Having the connectors or not, they are not allowed to show a HDCP picture.

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There is no such place, the 'alternative' output is unspecified. The other HDTV station uses a box with DVI, VGA, component and scart, but you choose and buy the box yourself there, if sky specify it I'd bet it has just DVI(or HDMI) and scart, just the 1 this time.

22. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you go back to the article in Digital Spy it has been changed. The first paragraph is completely different now. First it said about sony set top boxes. Which was wrong. Now it talks about their tv's having component inputs and working with Sky HD. I think someone made a mistake in the first place and confused people even more.