1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD Website....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by HSC, Jul 13, 2005.

1. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
  2. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I still can't believe the £400 very new Sky+ 160 isn't HD ready. That is utter business greed :mad:

There is no reason they couldn't make it HD and SD compatible!

I see the new HD Sky box will have Sky+ built in though (it must have a hard disk) but for all those people who've just bought Sky+ 160 you have 5 months to enjoy it!

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not giving much away, are they ?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The cost of the 160 was set to produce low volume high profit business for SKY and more importantly Thomson, a sweetner perhaps to get them on board at a time when SKY hardware purchases were falling.

Well the mpeg4 coded wasn't finalised at the time the contract for the 160 was given to Thomson and at the time SKY knew that mpeg2 wasn't the long term future of HD.

SKY's SD service is going no where so the current range of SKY hardware will still be fully useable and no point worrying about HD and owning a 160 since it's been no secret HD was on the way and either way you still need a HD display:)

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Indeed.
    Towing the corporate line which is all they can do even if there were plans to offer something pre xmas since anything official which they didn't come off would impact CITY confidence and share price.

Still wouldn't surprise me to see something offered on the HD front even if it's only for pubs/clubs showing footy.

6. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The other thing that annoys me about this new box is that i clearly has 2 HD outputs - COMPONENT AND HDMI.

However - if you look at this FAQ on the site.....

Can I Run A Second Tv Using Sky's HD Box?
    With the relevant cables you will be able to feed one TV with High Definition and one TV in Standard Definition

So they are deliberately disabling/crippling this function.....

and what annoys me more is that still wont stop us buying this probably V.Expensive box...!!!!!

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I would be more inclined to assume that SKY were thinking of using a SD telly as a second display in the same manner as the TVlink is used on normal digiboxes.
    So in this regard using component/hdmi for one output and the scart/s-video/rf for the second is more applicable than feeding two HD panels with component and hdmi.

I would be surprised if the component and HDMI could not operate together and output HD (making allowances for broadcasters choice of content control) but I think this is something we won't know for sure until the box is delievered.

8. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I had a card from Sky yesterday stating that the Sky+ 160 box is now down to £199. (although my old box was upgraded to 160Gb for all of £50 anyway)

I guess this move paves the way clear for them to launch the HD box at around the £400 mark.......