Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky HD vc Lumagen Vision

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Vinesh, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    At the moment I am using Lumagen Vision scaler running at 768p on my Pioneer 43mxe1. Source - Sky +

From what i''ve read, Sky HD will broadcast HD signals in 720p. When comparing the two now, I'm better off with my current setup

Using 768p on the lumagen and plasma gives the best pq compared to other settings on the lumagen.

Should I stick with Sky + and use my existing scaler or change the the scaler to Lumagen DVi/HDP, new card for plasma (With HDCP support) and use Sky HD as my source. Will there be much difference between the two setup.

2. James B

James B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it's an 575i SD image scaled to 768p rather than an HD image that's natively 720p (which I guess you could then scale to 768p if you wanted), so you should get a much better picture with Sky HD that with your current setup, certainly in terms of the detail that's shown within images.

...unless I'm missing something!

James.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You can throw use tens of thousands of pounds worth of kit to increase the resolution of a SD source and maintain the quality (just like many broadcasters have done and what the BBC did with The Blue Planet) but at the end of the day it will never match the quality of a native HD source.
    All else being equal of course:)

4. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    best start saving for the new kit. :)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,085
    Hello Vinesh

I'd consider swapping the SKY+ for SKY HD and the Vision for a Vision HDP - though you'll also need to find some way around the HDCP incompatibility of the MXE1's DVI Input :)

Best regards

Joe

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +810
    Though as mentioned elsewhere - there are now two HD versions of the Blue Planet.

The original 16:9 SD series was upconverted to HD for the Koreans. However they have now gone back to the original film and re-transferred this in HD for a second HD remastering (presumably for the US market - Discovery HD?) - which means that the film content is now pukka HD. However AIUI the underwater stuff on the Blue Planet was shot SD video - so these sequences will still be upconverts not HD native.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Yep I read the post also previous threads which covered in part the upconversion of the doc by the BBC for Discovery at which time I suspect that was good enough but perhaps the time and money required to do a better job is worth it now the market is maturing.

This thread from a year ago mentions it but also the sequel Planet Earth which is being shot on SONY HD cams and should be with us very soon:)

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +810
    Ah - AIUI the upconversion was for Korean HD outlets - but Discovery wanted the re-transfer in HD to maximise the quality of the material which would have HD levels of resolution (i.e. the film)

Supervolcano was apparently at least partially shot using Panasonic Varicams.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    What I would do is get Sky HD and see how it looks, I presume you've got component inputs on your Pioneer, if so use them and see what you think. If it's anywhere near the quality of Euro1080 I don't think you'll be disappointed and it will save you the cost of a new scaler and DVI card for your Pioneer (assuming you can get a HDCP capable DVI card for it which I have to admit I haven't got a clue about). I think the Sky HD box connected via component to the Pioneer will look far superior to what you're used to now. If there is anything you don't like about the picture TRY a scaler and see if you think the cost justifies any improvements it makes.

Cheers
    Andy

10. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks Andy. I will give this a try when Sky release HD.

Hi Joe,

Have you got any info or products for Pioneer HDCP issue?

Thanks for all your input guys. Hopefully by the time Sky HD comes out, the extension work on the side of the house should have started, inc a new room for my home cinema :)

11. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The new Aurora card(s) for the Pio plasmas have recently been announced. They included 2 HDMI inputs, IIRC. They are a bit pricey, but comparing the price of an MXE plus Aurora card to the price of a 435 XDE (which has HDMI on the media receiver) makes things a bit more palatable.

12. StevenBagley

StevenBagley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not according to Sony! :)

There is an article on www.sonybiz.net about it (look in the hdcam section) where they list it as being shot on the HDW-750P (both the US and UK parts).

Although this article (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HNN/is_4_20/ai_n13684229) talks about high speed shots in cloud tanks, which could well have been Varicam stuff.

Steven

13. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +810
    Could be that they shot it on both - as Panasonic are running shots of lava on their demo DVD claiming they are from SuperVolcano.

I suspect that the HDCams were used for most of the "regular" HD stuff - with the Varicam being used for variable frame-rate shooting (as it allows shooting at higher and lower frame rates than normal - which is unusual for video, and I think unique amongst HD camcorders)