sky hd v hd-dvd

avnutter

Prominent Member
Reaction score
ok guys if you have both of these formats could you give us your views please for picture quality.

it would help if you give marks out of 100 for sky and hd-dvd.

thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

HD-DVD = better quality

Sky HD = better value

I'd give HD-DVD 100/100 as I cant see how the pic could poss be improved on my 32" Toshiba given a decent disk.

Sky HD would get 80/100 - pic quality is not as good but there are loads of films new and old - Sky Movies 9HD is the best HD channel IMO.

I'd give HD-DVD 100/100 as I cant see how the pic could poss be improved on my 32" Toshiba given a decent disk.

Get a bigger TV and your see a bigger improvement in HDDVD.:D

There are quite allot of threads on this already, but basically in increasing quality:

SkyHD
BBCHD
HD DVD or BD

There is a difference

Not sure about the value comment and Sky being in the same line....oxymoron?

ok guys if you have both of these formats could you give us your views please for picture quality.

it would help if you give marks out of 100 for sky and hd-dvd.

thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

The problem with Sky HD is there is relatively little content and the quality ranges greatly even on this small selection. The BBC Planet Earth, Torchwood, Robin Hood are very good quailty as are some of the Net Geo and Disc stuff. Sky Movies are generally better than decent upscaled DVD but not as good as most HD DVD's. Much of the content is also repeated.

I have been recording movies that are not out on HD DVD i.e. Robots, Lord or War, Star Wars etc. and the PQ via a PJ is decent enough. So the problem with scoring is which bits of sky HD PQ do you wish to compare ? If it movies I would rate HD DVD higher than Sky movies.

AVI

Sky HD would get 80/100 - pic quality is not as good but there are loads of films new and old - Sky Movies 9HD is the best HD channel IMO.

please give a bit more detail on this as i have been told this is not the case for example zorro was the premier last week..

please give a bit more detail on this as i have been told this is not the case for example zorro was the premier last week..

It was the second Zorro film.
The new films range fro 9-12 months old.

Well having had both since launch i would score like this

hddvd 95
skyhd 50

After the world cup and planet earth i thought skyhd would be great but its been let down badly with not a lot of content and macro blocking on alot of channels.

Rating them just on HD material.

HD-DVD = 100
Best picture I've seen

SkyHD = 40 - 80
A two hour film that takes up 14% gets 80, a two hour film that takes up 8% gets 40, unfortunately a good looking film that I meant want to leave on the box takes up too much of the tiny HDD.

Yea i have sky-hd and it can be picky for quality. Starwars ep 3 is awsome in hd 80% out of a 100. while some stuff on sky 1 hd not so good.

HD-DVD 100% pure quality

SKY-HD 60 - 80% pure quality .... remeber it costs broadcasters alot of money to use up the BW and airwaves as HD uses more transponders etc so they will not pump ot at top notch quality .

Yea i have sky-hd and it can be picky for quality. Starwars ep 3 is awsome in hd 80% out of a 100. while some stuff on sky 1 hd not so good.

HD-DVD 100% pure quality

SKY-HD 60 - 80% pure quality .... remeber it costs broadcasters alot of money to use up the BW and airwaves as HD uses more transponders etc so they will not pump ot at top notch quality .

Isn't that why I pay the £10 subscription ?

Isn't that why I pay the £10 subscription ?

Yes

We also pay out yearly fee to the BBC and yet we dont get much for our money :)

Yes.
The bitrate is around 24Mbp/s on skyHD and about 35Mbp/s on HD-DVD.

That vastly overrates SkyHD.. BBC is almost that high (around 19mbps presently).

Currently Sky One HD and Sky Movies 10 HD are between 6 and 12 mbps (variable, depending on content), and Sky Movies 9 HD is at around 17.5Mbps.

Also because Sky has to encode on the fly its compression isn't as good as the much slower encoding that a movie release goes through.

That vastly overrates SkyHD.. BBC is almost that high (around 19mbps presently).

Currently Sky One HD and Sky Movies 10 HD are between 6 and 12 mbps (variable, depending on content), and Sky Movies 9 HD is at around 17.5Mbps.

Also because Sky has to encode on the fly its compression isn't as good as the much slower encoding that a movie release goes through.

yea tony is correct. The highest is actually bbc-hd there average is 17Mbs high of 19 and the rest vary at times.

Sky encoding on the fly does not do any of its stuff justice but are improving as time goes by.

ok then. i,ve gots to get me a hd-dvd player.
how do you guys find out what the bitrates are from sky?

Lots of discussion on the SkyHD forums, normally after a programme/film has been ruined by terrible macroblocking... If a movie premieres on SM10 you know it's gonna look crap - you have to wait for the SM9 repeat.

Also see http://www.linowsat.com/0282/all/0282.shtml as a reference. That used to have the movie channels on there as well but they're not there at the moment.

Well. if I had a choice between watching a movie on SkyHD rather than SD on a HDTV I know what Id choose.

And lets not forget theres the issue of how good people's HD screens are when it comes to judging both formats.

Nobody mentioned SD....

I'd still rather spend my hard earned cash and watch Sky HD and view a wider variety of (potentially sub standard) HD content than spend £800 on a machine and watch a HD movie potentially once if not twice.

There are only so many times one can watch King Kong :lesson:

Sky has variety ... but more than HD discs i think not ... i always see the same movies repeated ...

Regards to quality fo screens. i think SKY-HD has alot of issues with HDMI and TV`s this also spoils the viewing experience.

I was watching ID4 on sky-hd and switched to the sd-version ... My oppinion the sd version looked better upscaled than teh hd-version.

But when you watch hotel rewanda or resident evil 2 wow that shows off the hd broadcast and starwars ep 3 :O draw dropping :)

I'd still rather spend my hard earned cash and watch Sky HD and view a wider variety of (potentially sub standard) HD content than spend £800 on a machine and watch a HD movie potentially once if not twice.

There are only so many times one can watch King Kong :lesson:

I'm sure this argument has been on here before... But you can get a HD-DVD player for a lot less than £800. :rolleyes: And if you total up Sky's installation, HD Box and subscription charges, it may not be a cheap as you thought..

I'm sure this argument has been on here before... But you can get a HD-DVD player for a lot less than £800. :rolleyes: And if you total up Sky's installation, HD Box and subscription charges, it may not be a cheap as you thought..

i paid £299 for my sky-HD box

£60 per moth for subscription

You can get a hd-a1 for £399 with 4 films :) or a xbox 360 with hd-dvd drive .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom