• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SKY HD Upgrade?

JoeF2k2

Banned
I have been with sky now for a year, not sky plus or anything just basic sky and have had the sports mix and 4 other mixes, also have broadband and sky talk, spend about £50 p/m !! I am thinking of ringing up and trying my luck to get a HD box cheaper or something off them with a price cut or similar if u know what i mean, never tried it before.

What i want to ask is, if i get HD and dont have the knowledge mix will i get these channels free as the sky HD site says the below

Available to all customers who take the HD Mix and already have a Sky+ HD box.
Discovery HD
FX HD
National Geographic HD
Rush HD
Sky Arts HD
Sky1HD
The History Channel HD
Eurosport HD

now if i get HD ill be taking the HD mix thing for £10pm so im assuming i will get the above if i dont have the relative mix ?

.Griff.

Established Member
AFAIK, and unless it's changed recently, you have to subscribe to the respective SD channels to get them as part of the HD mix.

In essence you'll need to subscribe to the knowledge mix to get those HD channels you quoted.

dr no

basically the extra £10 HD subscription will get you:

- all the HD versions of channels you already subscribe to.
- all the free HD channels - like BBCHD, Luxe HD, C4HD etc..

JoeF2k2

Banned
okey dokey, cheers guys

is it worth getting the knowledge mix for HD?

.Griff.

Established Member
okey dokey, cheers guys

is it worth getting the knowledge mix for HD?

I'd say it is. Some of the stuff on NG HD and Discovery HD is amazing (even if it's repeated a lot).

JoeF2k2

Banned
I'd say it is. Some of the stuff on NG HD and Discovery HD is amazing (even if it's repeated a lot).

someone mentioned that i know, Planet earth in HD is amazing, never seen it myself but i dont mind watching the odd documentary on aniamls etc etc, sad maybe but sometimes its interesting watching a lion hunt its prey :p big cat live tonight ;) no bbc hd though :(

Pange

Established Member
Actually, I don't think this info is correct. The HD mix will get you all the non-premium HD channels. You do NOT have to subscribe to the equivalent SD mix. It's always been this way. You do, however, have to subscribe to Movies and Sports to receive their HD versions.

JoeF2k2

Banned
Actually, I don't think this info is correct. The HD mix will get you all the non-premium HD channels. You do NOT have to subscribe to the equivalent SD mix. It's always been this way. You do, however, have to subscribe to Movies and Sports to receive their HD versions.

hmmm.... thats what i thought going off what sky said about getting the below with the HD MIX, i have the sports channels so i will get HD in them, i was just wondering if ide get the other HD channels mostly discovery hd etc as i dont have that relative mix

.Griff.

Established Member
A subscription to the HD Mix carries an extra £10/€15 per month fee on top of the standard Sky subscription. This fee allows customers to view the equivalent HD channels of their chosen channel package.

That suggests that you have to subscribe to the normal SD package if you want the HD channels are part of the HD mix.

Pange

Established Member
Well I can only speak of my experience and that of the chap next door. I've had HD since it started and he's had his for a few months. We both have just the entertainment mix, yet we can both get all the non-premium HD channels. There have been many threads on this subject in the past.

Mickyfinn

Established Member
As long as you subscribe to hd and have, at least, the basic variety pack, ie : total cost £27/mth, you will get as a right the following hd channels :

• Channel 4 hd, bbc hd, Sky1 hd, FX HD, SKY ARTS HD, LUXE HD, EUROSPORT HD, RUSH HD, DISCOVERY HD, NAT.GEOGRAPHIC HD and, finally, HISTORY HD.

logiciel

It's definite that there's a thing called the HD Mix, made up of the channels that mickeyfinn lists and that it's what your £10 a month brings you regardless of what else you pay.
The other idea arises from notes like the one griff quotes in #9, and in small print on the Sky website: "The channels you receive with the HD Mix depend on your Sky digital package." That is simply false and should have been corrected long ago. What the channels DO depend on is your Sports and Films Mixes.
I believed what the site says and when I took HD started paying for the two Mixes that had SD versions of the HD channels I wanted, and when I found I was getting more I thought Sky had slipped up - until I came here and learned the truth!
As Pange says this has been written about a lot on the forum.

Last edited:

.Griff.

Established Member
It's perfectly clear that there's a thing called the HD Mix, made up of the channels that mickeyfinn lists and that it's what your £10 a month brings you regardless of what else you pay

I think the sheer number of times the question gets asked, the differing answers given and the inconsistent quotes from a variety of sources all suggest it's anything but "perfectly clear" unfortunately.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
if you dont get it cheaper, then tell them you'll cancel. if they still dont budge, cancel then get it re-installed. annoys me how new customers get discounts not the loyal customers

JoeF2k2

Banned
rang up this evening and am getting HD installed for £69 :)

logiciel

.Griff. You're right - I've changed it.

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
As has been said, No matter what mix packages you have or don't have, the HD mix will give you all of the 'Mix' HD channels regardless of your subscription package. Only Sports and movies require the equivalent SD viewing subscription in order to see the HD variants.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom