Sky HD Upgrade - 2 months to complete order

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by willduval, Feb 5, 2009.

1. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As my new TV is scheduled to arrive this weekend, I thought i ought to get my Sky+ HD order in so went onto Sky.com to register for the £49 box and £30 install offer. I expected it might take a few weeks, but I didn't expect it to take 2 MONTHS!!

This is when they are telling me I should expect to complete my order. Is this right? If I call them and grumble can I expect to get bumped up the queue?

2. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I don't want to be rude but if you didn't want to wait then maybe you should have ordered before now? I see alot of people have waited for the price to drop to a silly price before ordering ,only to me "amazed" at a long wait for install.I don't understand why people are suprised.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well, that is a bit rude to be honest. Why would I order Sky HD before I had an HD Ready TV as I clearly stated in my post.

4. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Because you would be watching Hd right now.:thumbsup:

5. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your "logic" is astounding.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  6. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    LOL, he has a fair point and I don't think he is being rude. In fact he even apologised in case the intonation was mis-understood to be rude. Sky have only recently caught up with orders from before Christmas (I ordered early-mid December in the hope of being installed over the holidays and got Jan 16th as the earliest date) and have now slashed the price to boost subscriber numbers so in hindsight, you would have done well to have checked the forums or called sky a few weeks back.

you only start paying the HD subscription once they deliver the box and get it up and running so you would not have lost out. Plus if they had installed quickly and you didn't get this offer, they are honouring it and refunding people if you ordered fairly recently.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, don't take it out on newboy.

7. planetse

planetse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    To bring this back on track, if you take a look at the 400 plus comments on this thread you may understand why.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/922652-hd-49-1-month-free-hd-sub-no-install.html

I ordered on the 1st Feb and got first email stating you can order in 4 months, and then on Tuesday it was down to 2 month and today 4 – 7 weeks. Due to the high demand after the resent offer (a bit like the offer before Christmas when 2 months was normal) box availability along with installation engineers are in short supply, it would be expectable to a lengthy back log. If you phone to complain it gets you no higher in the queue. Some have got a discount on their package price but not everybody.

Just sit back and wait, it will soon be with you. Keep an eye on the tracking on My Sky; your complete order date will come down very soon.

8. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90

Sorry if I have offended you.

9. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hehe no bother, I was just a bit taken aback, lets forget about it ;)

Fair enough - thanks for the response. I have been reading through the forums quite a bit, but to be honest I was focussed more on what TV I was going to get rather than the Sky HD stuff. Even reading all the speculation about how "TV is Changing" I didn't pick up that there was quite such a wait for HD. I only decided in January to get a new TV and Sky HD so it's not that I have been hanging back for it.

Ah well, nevermind - it will be here soon enough I suppose.

10. crawffy

crawffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I ordered HD last friday. Email on saturday said 3-6 weeks. Checked my order on mysky on the tuesday and it was down to 2-4 weeks. Checked again today and it was down to 1-3 weeks. Hopefully will have it installed by next week!

11. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheers man that is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear :smashin:

12. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Ordered mine last sunday its bein installed this monday... i cant complain at that :smashin:

13. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Glad to hear installation times are good. I assume the initial long wait estimated by sky is just to prepare you for worst case but with all the engineers they've recruited they will hopefully be able to instal within 4 weeks from order at the most.

Hope it goes well for everyone.

14. chimponarope

chimponarope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ours said 2-4 weeks when we ordered on Sunday, they're coming Tuesday morning, just keep checking your email for when you get the 'You can order' email.

Oh and watch to see if they include multiroom when you go to order it, they did for ours so we had to ring them up to get it changed and just booked the date that way.

15. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    ordered last Friday, told min 2-4 weeks, email confirmed that:(

4 days later got email saying box is ready, installed today:D

definitly think they are quoting worst case scenarios but everyone seems to be getting much quicker installs than initialy told.

P.S got free install as well as per my post in the main £49 HD thread

16. belbin369

belbin369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i ordered mine last week and i got a email saying 3 to 6 weeks i checked my sky track my order and now its got 2 to 4 weeks :clap:

17. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well, 1 week on and its now 4 - 7 weeks. I reckon I'll have it early March at the latest......

18. njwallbank

njwallbank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Strange. I ordered mine yesterday, and it let me pick a date (I could have had next Wednesday 18/2, but I chose Friday 20/2). I got an e-mail later yesterday stating:

"Unfortunately we've had to change your Sky TV installation date. It's now booked for 20 February 2009 between 8am and midday."

Which seems to be the date I specified! Assuming this all comes off, I'll be very happy :)

19. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Was yours an upgrade from an existing Sky package or a brand new install?

20. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am gonna guess brand new install.

My order was placed yesterday too, I got 6 to 8 weeks, and then a text this afternoon saying 6 to 10. Existing customers are at the back of the queue to the best of my knowledge.

21. njwallbank

njwallbank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, that's right. Sorry, was reading the forum late last night and hadn't twigged that everyone was talking about upgrades (I know - the subtle clue is in the thread title :)).

I guess it makes financial sense for Sky to push new customers to the front of the queue and get them paying subs asap.

22. Pearfish01

Pearfish01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am an existing customer and was told 4 weeks via text and email. I then recieved an email less than a week later saying my order was ready to complete and had the box installed this morning. I spoke to the engineer last night and requested a Pace box he said he will try to get me one. When he arrived he told me they only has Samsung which was fine, he said Pace where like rocking horse. The £30 installation charge for existing Sky + customers is a joke all he did was disconnect the old box and connect the new one. He then phones Sky to pair my card with new box. I could have bloody done this myself what a joke. I am blown away by the HD channels but not so impressed with the SD. I was expecting a massive difference after moving up from S-Video connection on my Sky+ to HDMI on HD. Oh well lets just hope all channels go HD.

23. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Not really, you are signing up for the same 12 months minimum as a new sub anyway there is no difference between an existing and new customer in that respect.

In regards to the install Pearfish - mine is going to be in for a shock if he thinks he is getting away with plugging a few leads in and waltzing out. I am moving the entire room around so he will be running me new feeds in, the existing cable run wont actually reach the new location. They can make sure they do it properly this time, last ones terminated the cable with a bit of electrical tape at the box, wasnt until I moved it all that I noticed.

24. njwallbank

njwallbank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, I see what you're saying, but the income from my account is completely new. If you're an existing subscriber they're already receiving a substantial proportion of what they'll receive once you've been upgraded anyway. Plus it's all additional numbers for their total subscribers figure...

25. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ah that's true, never thought it through properly.
    Me - £30 upgrade means £39.75 a month
    You - £0 install means minimum of (IIRC) £19 basic package plus £9 odd for the HD too.

26. Jay on F1

Jay on F1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +428
    I phoned to upgrade to HD last night and was told I'd recieve a text today telling me when I can order. Got the test this morning and it said 3 months! :eek:

I'm hoping this is a worst case scenario and my wait time will go down like it has done for a few people on here.

I was thinking of complaining, but see little point due to the obvious high demand. I was going to try the old 'put me through to retentions' routine. My thought being that If I threatened to cancel (I'm an existing TV, Phone and BB customer) and re-join as a new customer I'd be bumped up the Q. Not sure if anyone has tried this?

Think I may hang fire for a week and see if I get any updates. Agree with what people has said - silly price =s high demand and long lead times.

27. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    2-4 weeks now :D

28. Evokazz

Evokazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    Mine said 3 months 2 weeks ago, its now saying 3-6 weeks

29. Paul Mela

Paul Mela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Ordered mine 2 weeks ago, today it has gone down to 6-10 weeks. Not to bothered with the time scale as it gives me more time to convince the wife to change our tv..:D

30. goldenone

goldenone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    11 days after registering i'm now down to 2-4 weeks wait. Getting closer :rolleyes: