Sky HD TV distribution - to 5 TV's

techmob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have been asked to project manage a job in work. We are having a renovation of our club.

They are going to upgrade to a sky HD box and want this to be distributed to various tv's around the site.

the will be 2 SD projectors which would need to take the RF signal and there will be at least 5 HD TV's needing the sky HD signal

what sort of reliable hardware should i be looking at to achieve this, should i go down the cat5/cat6 route with HDMI baluns on the end to convert the signal?

i have spoken to a local contractor who said various supplies have said going down the router of hdmi baluns is risky as they can be affected with interference etc. (i am now looking into the best way it should be done but with limited cost.)

Not entirely sure on the distance from the TV's to the sky box however i would say the maximum to be on the safe side would be at most 50m away

i don't have a budget to work off per say however i don't want to entertain a plan that simply won't work.

i would obviously want to keep costs down as much as possible but not jeopardizing quality and more importantly reliability

i hope this is the right section to post in

thanks

HDMI.org have two speed ratings for HDMI cables – High Speed and Standard.

High Speed passive cables top out at 8m – set that against your 50m cable runs and you will see you are way beyond what you can reliably achieve using HDMI cables.

HDMI over dual or single Twisted Pair (CAT6) is the only viable/cost effective solution for the HD signal to your distributed Displays.

Use dual runs of screened CAT6 with no joins/connections in the CAT6 cables between the HDMI Transmitter and the Receiver and avoid routing the CAT6 cables near to any wireless base stations and power transformers and you ought to be fine.

If you run into problems you can look at HDMI over HDBaseT as your fall back on one or more connections – HDBaseT uses a single run of CAT6 but due to the way the HDMI signal is pre-processed/packetised is less vulnerable to external interference than a conventional HDMI over Twisted Pair solution.

Is it just a single SKY box or multiple box’s and will 3D rear its head at any time?

Joe

Hi Joe

thanks for that. It is a single sky hd box that will be used.

currently they have a standard sky box which is using RF to each tv around the complex.

I can't see 3D rearing it's ugly head to be honest.

should i be running 3x cat 6 to each tv location to be on the safe side? run coax there too?

what sort of kit should i be looking to split the HDMI signal from the sky box? and what sort of baluns should i look at to start with?

thanks

RF cable - won't hurt and always a good fallback option.

3x CAT6 - always handy to have spares plus many TV's can be Firmware updated over a wired network.

No 3D - does make things simpler!

HDMI over IP - possibly a bit costly vs. your requirement of only having a single Source device.

Various options to consider in terms of Dual CAT6 - some will Require a Receiver + PSU at each Display others can power the Receiver unit from the Transmitter!

A Distribution Amp with inbuilt Extenders is one option or combine a 'standard' HDMI In/Out DA with HDMI cables (runs up to 15m) and HDMI over Twisted Pair Transmitter/Receiver on longer runs only!

Happy to look over your layout plans!

Joe

i agree regarding the HDMI over IP.

so looking at alternatives, what sort of hardware should i be looking at? Quality and price wise that should do the job?

layout plan attached

Attachments

• Club project plan(c).jpg
    Club project plan(c).jpg
    129 KB · Views: 681

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom