Sky HD to Pioneer VSX2016

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jemmitch, May 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jemmitch

jemmitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have just taken delivery of Sky HD.

This is connected to my Pioneer VSX2016 receiver via HDMI and the VSX2016 has an HDMI out to the TV.

I have also connected an optical cable to the amp. If I select the input for this optical cable, I get 5.1 surround. However when the HDMI channel is selected, I only get stereo.

Does anyone know how I tell the amplifier to output the optical input (and therefore 5.1) whilst the HDMI input is selected?

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    you need to assign both the optical and HDMI to the same INput label on the receiver, sadly i dont know the menus system so cant tell you how....

most AV amps have a menu for assigning Digital Input (as in optical and coaxial sound) and usually will have Opt1, Opt2, Op3, Op4, each with a box next to them, you then choose from an source name such as DVD, VDP, Aux, CD etc.....so choose Aux say, then for your HDMI inputs do the same....

possibly i'm missing saying something or have said something wrong as i dont use HDMI yet, but going on what i've seen other people say this should help you out, if not im sure someone else will know who has the same model AV amp :)

3. jemmitch

jemmitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have tried this. Doesnt seem to work. I think the amp is just pushing out the stereo sound from the hdmi cable. As an experiment I tried to assign the coax feed from my dvd player to the hdmi and I still got the sky hd stereo which suggest that although im doing the assignment, its not working.

4. sidxms

sidxms
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've read elsewhere that SKY HD doesn't do 5.1 over HDMI so you are not doing anything wrong, you'll have to use the optical cable im afraid.

sid

5. jemmitch

jemmitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using an optical cable to get the surround sound from the sky hd. My issue is how do you get the optical input feed whilst the hdmi channel is selected (which it has to be to watch the hdmi output).

I am currently talking to Pioneer customer services regards this (who are being very helpful but have yet to provide an answer). My argument to them is what's the point of having hdmi switching on the amp if it would stop you getting the surround sound which can only come via an additional optical or coax input.

6. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you go into the setup menu and select input setup. In this menu select your input then set digital in to either optical or coax, whatever you are inputing. This is the fun bit, now select HDMI Input to whichever input you are using and you will notice that it turns the Digital input from optical or coax off. Turn the HDMI input to off and the coax and optical digital inputs can now be used again. I must admit,as yet I have not found a way to use both HDMI for image and optical or coax for sound, probably not possible. What most people would do is use component with optical/coax and HDMI on its own and this seems to be how this amp is set.

7. jemmitch

jemmitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit, I didnt quite follow this.
    I did this:
    1. Setup
    2. Input Select
    3. I selected the Input TV
    4. I set the Digital In to Opt-1 (Optical 1)

I get surround sound but not picture (as its not pushing out the hdmi).

5. I selected the HDMI 1 Input

This is where I get a bit lost. The screen allows me to select Opt-1 for "Digital-In" on the HDMI input.

This doest do what it suggests which is to output the digital optical whilst HDMI input is selected on the AMP.

If I am reading you right, you are suggesting that to get the amp to do 5.1 and picture I need to use component and the optical source assigned to a different input from HDMI ?

8. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +729
    Just sold my 2016 last week but I can confirm you definetly can use the optical for sound with the HDMI for picture for SkyHD also I used a coax from a HDDVD player while using the other HDMI for picture, its easy to do but can't remember exactly out of hand how to as I know was able to quickly switch between the opt and HDMI for sound (which optical for SkyHD was always better) but will try and see if I can get a look over the weekend

9. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am not 100% sure is the menu system is the same on the 2016 as it is on the ax4asi, which is the amp I am using. I will try again.
    From what I gather the HDMI inputs can be pared to a particular input, SAT/TV/DVD whatever inputs the amp has. Each input can have either S-Video/composite/component/HDMI image selected and coax/optical or HDMI sound selected.When HDMI No1 input is assigned to DVD for example in the setup menus it will no longer be selectable for anything else, makes sense really. It will then not appear in the input select menu on the front of the amp becasuse it is now assigned to DVD. If you unselect it from DVD it will become visible in the input menu on the amp again. In the setup menu if you scrol through to HDMI 1 it will be visible when not assigned to any input but not be there when assigned. In the setup menu if you select TV you will need to select either coax/opitcal sound input OR HDMI, you can not select both as HDMI will take priority over the other.You will need to feed the sound and vision combined through HDMI as it transmits both OR sound through coax/optical and vision through s-video/component/composite.
    If you are only getting stereo through HDMI try connecting the sky box directly to the TV to test if you are only getting a stereo signal from the sky box. If this is the case the Amp is doing everything fine and the sky box is at fault. The other way to test it would be to connect an HDMI dvd player to the amp and see if it outputs the sound correctly. I hope some of that helps.

10. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +729
    Me..... I know where you are coming from but the 2016 has seperate inputs that are named HDMI 1 and 2 (HDMI isn't actually assigned to TV, dvd etc)

SkyHD will only output 5.1 through optical and as been said above stereo through the HDMI, bit stupid I know but even stereo sounds better through the optical rather than HDMI IMHO)

Anyway back to the question at hand, just had a quick flick through the online manual and how your problem is solved is on page 29, after you assign optical 1 (?) for digital in to the HDMI input as you mentioned you have done press the 'signal select' button on the remote this will cycle though Auto (which is default and will use HDMI audio as priority) analogue, HDMI and digital (which is the one you want for the optical lead) which will allow you to enjoy 5.1 programs through your amp with your picture through HDMI, it will also remember this setting whenever the input is changed so once it's set you don't have to touch it again

Knew it was something simple just :rtfm: :laugh:

11. jemmitch

jemmitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gam

Thats done it! Really appreciate you and everyone else taking the time to help sort this out. Thank you.

12. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, I missed that one, just tried it and it works fine on the AX4ASI as well.I supose the moral of this story is to read the manual completely.

13. Wildor

Wildor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wanted to rate this thread. Made my system come alive!

:thumbsup:

14. sideshow bill

sideshow bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just come across this Topic whilst researching the Pioneer VSX2016 and I'd like to ask why would anyone connect the HDMI to an av receiver from a sky HD box? I'd have thought this was unnecessary if you have the optical cable option.
    Or am I missing something??

15. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You'd be missing the picture :D

Seriously, for ease of use a lot of people run the video and the audio from the amplifier so when you select the appropriate input, it switches the picture as well as the sound, negating the need to dig out the TV remote.

16. jparton

jparton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My god I can not tell you how many hours of frustration and annoyance you solved with this pearl of wisdom, thanks so much. I thought I was destined to never be able to watch Sky HD in 5.1 through my amp :thumbsup: