• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SKY HD to multiple HDMI

shamon

Standard Member
is this possible.

ie could i run two HDMI leads from the SKY HD box, one to the main TV and one to the TV upstairs?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Yes its possible but you would need a HDMI splitter. Ask in the HDMI switches and cables forum for some reccomendations.

Vorm

Established Member
I have done this with an HDMI splitter but having problems - It will show on both TVs while switched on but if I switch off the upstairs TV after about 2 minutes, the signal to the downstairs TV disappears too.

I initially thought it was the splitter but I'm now thinking it may be the cable running it upstairs. Going to test tonight with my PC monitor downstairs with a 2m HMDI cable and see if it's ok or does the same.

V.

Vorm

Established Member

Vorm

Established Member
OK so today I tested the splitter with my monitor downstairs with a short hdmi cable and it worked fine when plugged in (with monitor on or off) and with it unplugged - Didn't cause the main TV to go off at all.

I tried the upstairs TV again through the 10m cable and when that TV was switched off within a minute, the light on the splitter went out and 10 seconds later I lost the signal to the main TV.

I tried the 10m cable again but with it unplugged from the TV upstairs and this time it worked fine - the TV downstairs did not lose it's signal at all.

So I'm confused - when the cable is plugged into the TV upstairs and the TV is off, I lose the signal through the splitter to the TV downstairs. Can it still be the cable or is it TV or some setting for HDMI on the TV upstairs that I need to change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Vorm

Established Member
OK so today I tested the splitter with my monitor downstairs with a short hdmi cable and it worked fine when plugged in (with monitor on or off) and with it unplugged - Didn't cause the main TV to go off at all.

I tried the upstairs TV again through the 10m cable and when that TV was switched off within a minute, the light on the splitter went out and 10 seconds later I lost the signal to the main TV.

I tried the 10m cable again but with it unplugged from the TV upstairs and this time it worked fine - the TV downstairs did not lose it's signal at all.

So I'm confused - when the cable is plugged into the TV upstairs and the TV is off, I lose the signal through the splitter to the TV downstairs. Can it still be the cable or is it TV or some setting for HDMI on the TV upstairs that I need to change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm still having this problem even after replacing the 10m cable with a 7.5m one.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom?

Could having the Sky HD screen option set at 1080i instead of automatic have any thing to do with it do you think?

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
No

more likely the spitter isn't handling slightly different hdmi handshaking between the TVs very consistently. Which one is it?

6022tivo

Established Member

Vorm

Established Member
Just want to add, I brought a loops hdmi splitter

LOOPS® 1 - 2 HDMI OUTPUT SPLITTER DISTRIBUTION BOX PORT on eBay, also, Video Switches, DVD Home Cinema, Consumer Electronics (end time 06-Jul-09 03:43:11 BST)

Very cheap, and works with NO issues from my Pace, to a 50" Pioneer 505 in the lounge, and a 37" Toshiba in the bedroom via a 10 meter HDMI lead (Cheap ebay one).

Never had a issue, or a handshaking issue. Also using the power from the Skybox, and not the supplied power supply.

Can you also confirm that it works correctly with only one TV on (upstairs and downstairs) instead of both (or going from both to just one) which is where I have the problem?

JH4

Prominent Member
A well known high street electronics retailer now sells a '1 in > 2 out' HDMI splitter (N08GF) that feeds each TV independently, so you don't need to have both on.
It works..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom