Sky HD to fully support analogue component

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by stevelup, Jul 14, 2005.

1. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Very interesting. On the new Sky HD Information site., they state that the HD resolutions will be supported via analogue component:-

That means the massive amounts of fuss that have been going on over the past couple of months are now - more or less irrelevant. We will *all* be able to access the HDTV services at HDTV resolutions irregardless of whether or not our panels support HDCP at the required resolutions.

Steve

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    For the time being, until they force HDCP, and our TV's without HDCP become redundant ;) See other threads about Sky HD discussing this.

Cheers

Andy

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Hi

I'm well aware of the other threads.

HDCP *is* mandatory on their HDMI connector - what I consider to be newsworthy is the fact that Sky have added uncrippled analogue component video outputs.

They are stating that the analogue outputs may be dropped on future boxes, they are not saying that they will disable the analogue outputs on existing boxes.

Steve

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    They're not saying they won't, either.

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    I don't think the economies of scale worked out for them.

They have obviously realised that there are far too many people out there with legacy - and indeed brand new - kit that didn't support HDCP at 50/25Hz.

Enabling the analogue outputs on only the first boxes - which clearly seems to be their plan - is the best of both worlds for everyone. It gives a proper transition period to those people who have recently invested in equipment which would otherwise have been redundant. It also shows a clear future path which will ultimately require us to purchase properly compliant gear when we next replace our panels.

I actually think Sky are being pretty reasonable about this and it proves that they listened to peoples complaints?

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    i hope you're right steve...

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    who says they are uncrippled? or will look any good at all.........................................as no one i know of has used a "SKy HD" Box there is no way to tell component may look like composite on current boxes for all we know. THE point is until we see the boxes the content (remeber Sky Digital is the same definition as DVD) and the compression we have no idea how it will actually "look"

8. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    How or why would then intentionally cripple the analogue outputs that they have gone to the trouble of retrofitting - possibly changing a design which was already in the late stages of development?

It makes no sense.

One thing is for sure though, early adopters are going to get absolutely shafted. We'll pay OTT prices for the box and have a poor initial selection of HD material.

This is quite entertaining and cunning of Sky though - because if you're not an early adopter and don't buy the first box, you'll need your HDCP enabled display.

The words - Over and Barrel spring to mind.

Steve

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    as you say its a retrofit pushed by sony who had the least compatible range of products on the market................. nothing to say the redesign is any good and as for crippling Component to make HDMI look a lot better just speak to pioneer (or sharp who make their media boxes)........................................

10. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    I never mentioned Sony... Besides, it's a retrofit which benefits the vast majority of current flat panel owners, not just Sony owners.

Exactly how many installed panels are out there right now that can accept 50/25Hz HDCP protected digital signals. Best part of bugger all?

Exactly how many installed panels are out there right now that can accept 720P/50 and 1080i/25 via component video. Almost all of them?

It's a fair point that no-one has seen the Sky HDTV output but it would be a difficult point to argue that it will not be an improvement over the SD transmissions?

You're drifting into conspiracy theory territory a bit, and I can't comment on Pioneer media boxes as I've never seen or used one.

11. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Sorry folks.

I've just realised this whole thread is a dupe of Stuarts' "Can we clear this up. What is HD-ready and what is Sky-ready?" that he posted yesterday.

That will teach me not to pay attention...

Steve

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    its not conspiricy theory but until we see there IS NO way of knowing component could be a god send for MXE and PHD owners and breathing space for everyone else but i dont think it will have that much impact anyway sticking to 60Hz would have made life a lot easier for Hitachi and panny owners