SKY+ HD to external HDD

rslpl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Someone suggested that HD recording on my SKY+ box wont copy across to another HDD/DVD because of some sort of encryption SKY put on their SKY+ box. Could anyone confirm this or suggest a way round things?. Not bothered if the copy isnt HD..

Someone suggested that HD recording on my SKY+ box wont copy across to another HDD/DVD because of some sort of encryption SKY put on their SKY+ box. Could anyone confirm this or suggest a way round things?

Only macrovision protected stuff (i.e. Box Office material) won't copy. Everything else should.

Edit - you asked about DRM - as you called it - three weeks ago and were told then that it wouldn't affect you because you wanted to archive Sky Sports recordings. So why raise the subject again?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply... I rang SKY and asked them if I could transfer some HD stuff off my SKY+ to make more space on the SKY+ and they said its not possible. Are they probably giving a non techinical answer?

Thanks for reply... I rang SKY and asked them if I could transfer some HD stuff off my SKY+ to make more space on the SKY+ and they said its not possible. Are they probably giving a non techinical answer?

If you actually said "some HD stuff" then they were correct in saying "it's not possible". Because it won't be in HD when you archive it via scart to a DVD recorder. They were also correct if you said you wanted to copy it to a HDD - because a HDD normally implies a PVR, and a PVR can only copy from its own tuners, not from external pieces of kit via a scart connection. If you asked whether you could archive non Box Office recordings from your Sky planner to a DVD recorder using the scart output then they were lying if they said that it was not possible. Especially as they provide a function called "Copy" within the Sky planner that is designed to do exactly that.

But as you'd already been told the answer by a lot of forum members far more knowledgable than Sky's Customer Services department, why did you bother asking them?

Last edited:
There may be confusion about the methodology of transfer, or intended meaning from the questioner.

The header says 'SKY+ HD to external HDD' ... which would not normally be possible by direct route if a standalone HDD is meant.

The initial question mentions 'HDD/DVD' so it is possible transferring to an HDD in a DVD recorder was meant ...which is possible.

The questioner may not know the importance of this distinction hence some of the confusion of information and answers along the way.

I have sky plus HD and have no problem recording programs from the box either from its internal hdd or "live" using scart to my sony hxd hdd/dvd 970 recorder , but I havent tried anything that is drm protected

obviously its not HD quality doing this task but its perfectly acceptable in RGB using scart

in fact I have never had a problem from any sky box to my dvd recorders or a vcr before that

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom