1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY HD to be via HDMI?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dr Phibes, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in Comet today where a salesman told me not to get an HDMI cable for a DVD player as SKy HD was coming soon and this would be connected via HDMI. (My TV has only 1 HDMI socket) This was told to him a couple of days before by a rep from Sky.
    Has anyone else heard anything regarding this as popular opinion seemed to be that the first gen boxes would be connected via component?

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
  3. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen that site and it mentions DVi, HDMI and component. Yet the salesperson was adamant that it was HDMI only.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The first gen SKY+ HD boxes will allow HD via component but at this time SKY will only guarantee that their own branded channels will actually do this.
    So SKYmovies, SKYsports, SKY1, SKY SBO (you get the idea) can be watched in HD via component.

Other broadcasters who choose to use the SKY HD system may choose the HDMI only option but no other broadcaster had committed to HD next year although you would hope some will sooner rather than later.

If you DVD player upscales to 720p and 1080i then by all means use the HDMI connection since SKY HD may not be around for upto a year and who knows there may be a HDMI pass through option or affordable two into one adaptors.