Sky Hd + Telephone line

gozzy

Just spoke to the guy at Midsat (can't order till tues :( )

He says that I MUST have the phone connected to the HD box, even tho I've been a Sky+ subscriber since it came out and never have had the phone connected, he said they are really hot on it now.

Problem is the master socket is a fair way away and I don't fancy having to hide the cables behind the skirting boards again (means I've got to pull them off again)
He did mention a wireless extension, but they seem to be £50+ :rolleyes: and I don't think they'll work with my Sky broadband

Anyone got any ideas :lease: :lease:

Accylad

Distinguished Member
I just ran an extension from my main box and told the engineer that I was waiting for someone to do a permanent job.

Only problem, if you can call it that, is when you switch on you get a message on your screen telling you that your box is not connected to the phone but this disappears when you use the zapper to select a channel or other function.

I'm not altogether sure but I think it is only a problem with Sky if you have multi room. Mine has not been connected for at least 3 months without problem or contact from Sky.

45689ajax

I'm not altogether sure but I think it is only a problem with Sky if you have multi room. Mine has not been connected for at least 3 months without problem or contact from Sky.

With multiroom both boxes must be connected at all times. This is so that Sky can check that the two boxes are on/at the same number/address. This is because of the reduced subscription on the second box.

With just a single box, it does not appear to be a problem not having a coonnection to a phone line. Just run a temporary extension for the initial set up process.

swoolcoc

I had this problem as when we had a recent extension done the BT guy only fitted one main phone point "as everything is going wireless". This is fine for my cordless phones and fine for my wireless router...but not fine when the Sky HD bloke comes around and the connection is in a different room!:(

The first installer who came actually went away again because of this (plus other things) and advised me to get the phone point moved myself as it's cheaper. I didn't do this but had a load of extension leads at the ready for the next appointment but a different Sky guy just ran his own lead through to register the card and then unhooked it (and left me the extension!). Job done.

So yes it can be a problem but it may depend who you get. I'd suggest having an extension lead ready but not actually fit it permanently.

borofoga

I connected the phone line temporarily via an extension lead when Sky HD was installed but since the Sky engineer left (5 months ago) i have not had the phone line connected.

Smurkenstein

With multiroom both boxes must be connected at all times. This is so that Sky can check that the two boxes are on/at the same number/address. This is because of the reduced subscription on the second box.

With just a single box, it does not appear to be a problem not having a coonnection to a phone line. Just run a temporary extension for the initial set up process.

I second that. I just got a letter stating that both boxes must be connected to the same phone line. I have had sky digital for about 10 years (or eight or wahtever) and I have never honoured the phone line part of the contract and never had any feedback fom them until I got multiroom last month.

teknokat

not got multiroom but connected phone line for sky+ (not been conencted for 2 years!) when the engineer came to install HD then unplugged it when he left and never reconnected it since. Been 4 months now and not heard a thing, he said that they were constantly checking now once a month I think he said and recommended I leave it plugged in. I get the feeling he was just spouting what he had been told to say though

rolski

I only have one box - HD - and no phone line connected. They told me that I had to connect when I paired the card but I told them I don't have a landline - which is true. They refused to pair the card so I indignantly told them I was a long-term customer with no land-line & that I wanted to discuss it with a "senior" rather than someone spouting "computer says no".
Five minutes later - job done - card paired and HD up & running.
As someone mentioned before, I think it's only mandatory when you have multiple boxes - for obvious reasons.

gozzy

As I intend installing it myself and not having multiroom, looks like this shouldn't be a problem

Thanx guys, looks like I'll order on tuesday from midsat

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom