imi316

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi , im looking for some help on the forum

i have a new set up with sky hd and a samsung amplifier and home cinema and am now a little confused?
I was informed at first i would need to connect the sky hd box to the amp via a hd cable and an optical cable to receive any sound ?

However i am managing to get sound thru speakers with just a hd wire connected to amp from the sky box?

What i would like to know is do i still need the optical cable ?
Will it improve on the sound i am already receiving ?

Thanks in advance
imi316

Hi.
Sky in their wisdom have decided to output on the HDMI socket only stereo sound.
To get 5: 1 Dolby Digital audio when a channel carries it you need the optical cable.
If you have both connections to the amp you will probably have to specify that the optical takes precedence over the HDMI.
This has been discussed many times in the forum.
HTH - Logi

thanks for your quick and kind response im sorry for the duplicate post , could you elaborate on how i may make the optical take preference on a samsung amp?
thanks again

You're very welcome, and it's OK about the thread - the rules say you're meant to search for a topic before posting but the search doesn't work perfectly.
If your amplifier does need that setting there will be details in the manual of how to make it.

Last edited:
could you elaborate on how i may make the optical take preference on a samsung amp?

Easiest way to make it take preference is by disconnecting HDMI from amp - so optical is the only way the two are connected - and connect the HDMI cable directly into the TV. That way, you don't need to have the amp switched on to watch Sky either.

Agreed.

Also, with the Sky HDMI on its own TV input, it can be calibrated independantly from the amp output.

Agreed.

Also, with the Sky HDMI on its own TV input, it can be calibrated independantly from the amp output.

Whenever I mention this I get flamed by people because '1 HDMI cable is so much easier'. Apparently paying a fortune for HD equipment and HD services does not warrant setting things up properly. It does my head in, soon manufacturers will probably remove input specific calibrations to save money, because it seems nobody uses them anymore. :facepalm:

It does my head in, soon manufacturers will probably remove input specific calibrations to save money, because it seems nobody uses them anymore. :facepalm:

I hope not. All three HDMI input I use on my TV are calibrated differently and the two SCART inputs are also calibrated differently as well. Personally I would never buy a TV that didn't have independent setting for each source.

Easiest way to make it take preference is by disconnecting HDMI from amp - so optical is the only way the two are connected - and connect the HDMI cable directly into the TV. That way, you don't need to have the amp switched on to watch Sky either.
That's the way I do it now, though both work equally well.
It's more for practicality than "calibration", as the Sky receiver is under the TV and the amp well away from them.

hi im in need of help
i have the optical cable connected unfortunately i cant find the setting in the manual to assign the audio via optical and picture via hdmi
at present i either get sound only via optical or sound and video via hdmi?
unfortunately i cannot connect a seperate hd to the tv as suggested as i only have one hd wire to the tv and this is taken up by the amp
thanks in advance for any help

There are two parts to it - assigning both the HDMI socket and the optical socket to the same Input setting, and then specifying that the optical on that Input takes precedence over the HDMI. The manual should tell you how to do both, but if you help us as S N says we'll reciprocate.

It may not be impossible to do with your amp, but it is very unlikely that the feature would be missing so I'm sure if you find the manual online it will detail how to do it.
If I remember correctly the original release of the Sony STR-DA2400ES didn't allow optical precedence and they quickly had to release a firmware update to address that:oops:

Hi model of amp is samsung hw-c560s
The manual suPplied is v basic
Perhaps the online one would be more advanced

unfortunately no luck the online manual is same one i have
anyone have any suggestions

hi thanks but i can get the sky to output sound via optical but i lose the picture when i do this
am i doing something wrong ?

Maybe it changes the input for everything, so selecting OPT will then switch it entirely to OPT rather than selecting OPT for audio and HDMI for video. But being called Audio Assign I doubt that is the intention, it's probably a firmware bug or a subtle nuance not conveyed by the manual.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom