Sky HD successful installation stories anyone??

gweaver

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having Sky HD installed on Wednesday and after reading this Sky HD forum I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for!

I know this forum is intended for hardware issues, but I was wondering - has anyone had Sky HD installed recently and had no issues during the install or since the install? If so, did you have the Pace or Thompson box?

Surely not every new HD installation results in problems? Or am I just fooling myself?!

I suppose I'll find out soon enough!

Cheers,

Gavin

Hi
I had my SkyHD installed in June, t'was a Thompson box. Had no problems at all to date, no failed recordings or lip sync or overheating, crashes etc.

Tho I have noted this past few days the box is noticeably noisier than before..
I intend to install a 1Tb drive sometime next week too, bugger the warranty :)

Hi Gavin,

I had HD installed 11 days ago and a few days before the install I had the same doubts you now suffer from.

Whilst I do see the lip-sync issue on a couple of channels - BBC HD and C4HD - they aren't bad enough to concern me. I'm confident they'll be sorted out.

If you have the movie and sports channels the PQ will seriously impress you and more than compensate for the lip-sync thingy. I've just finsihed watching In the Line of Fire and it took on a whole new life in HD. Likewise with the weekend footie matches. Football looks far better than I imagined a fast moving sport would.

Sky seem to have switched to Pace boxes so I recommend you get one of those. Avoid the Thomson if you can as the PSU has reliability problems.

Had sky hd for 15 days, excellent installation service although the installer does live on the same street so he wouldn't do a bad job.

Its a samsung box and apart from a loud fan which i have got used to and dont hear anymore i've not had a problem, no failed recordings, no lip sync issues.

Hello all,

I'm having Sky HD installed on Wednesday and after reading this Sky HD forum I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for!

I know this forum is intended for hardware issues, but I was wondering - has anyone had Sky HD installed recently and had no issues during the install or since the install? If so, did you have the Pace or Thompson box?

Surely not every new HD installation results in problems? Or am I just fooling myself?!

I suppose I'll find out soon enough!

Cheers,

Gavin

Don't worry, people don't generally come to a forum like this and post got Sky installed everything ok. There more likely to post when they have had problems. So reading the forum gives you the distorted view that everyone has problems, when in reality, its only the people with problems posting.

Don't worry, people don't generally come to a forum like this and post got Sky installed everything ok. There more likely to post when they have had problems. So reading the forum gives you the distorted view that everyone has problems, when in reality, its only the people with problems posting.

I know what you mean Dwhite! That's why I thought I'd ask the question because no one is likely to comment if everything's gone fine.

RayP mentioned that he has lip sync issues on C4HD and BBCHD. I can't comment on C4HD but I have a DVB-S card in my PC and I can recieve BBC HD on that. There's never been any lip sync issues on it, so I suppose the lip sync issues must be hardware related and not broadcast related.

I'll post back next week on whether or not I've had a successful installation or not.

Fingers crossed!

I had 2 Pace HD boxes installed about a month ago and have had no major problems. One time I flicked between Eurosport HD and SKY Sports HD and the glitchy Eurosport picture showed up on S.Sports, but flicked to a normal channel and it disappeared.

I moved an Anytime recording of Fringe onto my main planner, and the sound lost sync for about 15 minutes about an hour in, but then went back to normal. Had no sync issues when watching HD channels 'live' or via recording - just that once when moving from Anytime.

We had only just moved in about 4 months prior to the install, and had Sky+ before, so there was no changing of wiring or anything like that - both boxes were plugged in, updated and receiving HD channels in around 15 minutes.

All in all, extremely happy with the install and the quality of the box and picture.

We've had Sky HD since launch day and never had an issue :smashin:

The engineer wore shoe covers, was polite, know what he was talking about and replaced all the cable feeds from the dish

We've had Sky HD since launch day and never had an issue :smashin:

The engineer wore shoe covers, was polite, know what he was talking about and replaced all the cable feeds from the dish

exactly the same as us :smashin:. Our was installed 6.10.08. Having a couple of lip sync issues but not really enough to kick up a fuss about - worse channel is FX but not that bothered as I dont watch FX :D. Box is a Pace; very quick, responsive and quiet.

I had a PACE box installed 3 weeks ago (I insisted on Samsung or Pace when I ordered).

I ran 2 decent co-ax cables from my existing dish so all the installer had to to was get them through the wall and terminate them.

Very happy with the box (put an hitachi 1000Gb drive in as soon as he left)..

Now that the audio-sync issue is becoming less of an issue (I personally think it is a broadcasting Codec problem) the system is near perfect.

:clap:

Just to report back, I had my box installed last week. No problems, no lip sync issues, nothing! I must be lucky.

Not sure whether to change the hard drive or not. It doesn't long at all to fill.

Had mine done as an upgrade from Sky+ on Sunday. I pulled the hard disk out and replaced it about 5 minutes after the engineer had left.

It's a Thompson box, but running perfectly well so far.

Just to report back, I had my box installed last week. No problems, no lip sync issues, nothing! I must be lucky.

Not sure whether to change the hard drive or not. It doesn't long at all to fill.

I had a pace box installed about 6 weeks ago and, like you, experienced no problems.

If you don't mind the risk of invalidating your warranty, I'd definately upgrade your drive to at least a 500gb model. I put a wd 1000gb in mine using copy+ and the result is fantastic - totally relaxed about recording yet another movie for later viewing - I have 23 movies on the disc and still have 70% free. :thumbsup:

If I swap the hard drive and invalidate my warranty and then later have problems, what is the likely cost to get the box swapped/repaired?

I've had a Thomson box for 3 months. Had problems with loss of signal and failed recordings after the first week, I suspected it was the box playing up after all I had read on these forums. Engineer came round and checked the box, said it was ok. Turned out to be the old dish I've had for about 10 years that was past it's prime, he replaced it and have had no problems since.

I've had my Sky HD for one week now and comment as follows:
The installer was a local guy and he wore shoe covers and was polite and very helpful. He replaced the LMB but kept the old dish as it was a larger one than he had to offer. He ran what looked like very good quality twin coax direct from the LMB to the box with no connectors en route. The box is a Samsung.
The picture quality on SD was a vast improvement on my old (2000ish) Panny Box. HD was another giant leap in quality. No probs with lipsync or anything else so far. TV is a Panny early 26" LCD and my SD is now better than mates recent Panny 32 on DVB.
Just waiting for some new HD channels.....

Engineer arrived in the time slot he quoted. Didn't start off well though as the first 3 yes 3 samsung boxes he connected up were all dead on arrival. The 4th box was plugged in and hey presto no problems. Box is very quiet,no lip sync issues and recordings etc are spot on. :clap:

If I swap the hard drive and invalidate my warranty and then later have problems, what is the likely cost to get the box swapped/repaired?

You will only invalidate the warranty if you damage something when swapping discs and/or forget to replace the warranty-seal when putting the original disc back.

Use a hair-dryer to remove the seal and just be very careful when removing and replacing the cover, (the plastic lugs don't look that strong). If you do that you shouldn't have any problems.

Don't forget to download copy+ if you want to transfer any recordings and/or use a disc > 500gb.

Hope this helps.

You will only invalidate the warranty if you damage something when swapping discs and/or forget to replace the warranty-seal when putting the original disc back.

Use a hair-dryer to remove the seal and just be very careful when removing and replacing the cover, (the plastic lugs don't look that strong). If you do that you shouldn't have any problems.

Don't forget to download copy+ if you want to transfer any recordings and/or use a disc > 500gb.

Hope this helps.

I'm really contemplating swapping the disc for a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint drive. Especially since the current doesn't hold much at all in my opinion.

I'm really contemplating swapping the disc for a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint drive. Especially since the current doesn't hold much at all in my opinion.

I swapped mine for a 1TB WD10EVCS drive - it works fine and is very quiet.

The original drive is totally inadequate for hd usage. after Sky's partitioning, you're only left with 160gb :( to use for personal recording. With a 1tb disc, this increases to 860gb :) - a 5 fold increase. :thumbsup:

My advice to you is if you're not happy with the orignal drive, then go for it - it is really quite straightforward to do, especially when you follow the instructions on the copy+ site.

Word of warning, the Pace box uses anti-tamper torx screws, so you will need the relevant screwdriver. Screwfix sells a set of bits that do the job for £2.99

Good luck!

Multiroom installed today Samsung hd and Pace sky+.
Even fitted octo lnb as we have freesat (and sky were not aware of that) i took the gamble ( yeah, your office new i had freesat) and he had one on his van but i caught him as he just finished fitting it to the original dish. Oh i said my missus aint gonna be pleased not fitting a new dish, so off he went and got my new one out of the back of his van and fitted it, off with the old and on with the new :D

Been playing for a few hrs and not noticed any sync issues and sd quality looks ok as well and that is what i was unsure of.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom