1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ HD Subscription fees?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by BenedictGilman, Apr 27, 2005.

1. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a mention that Sky+'s HD service will charge a different subscription fee, does anyone know what the prices will be?

2. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    clueless

if its any more than a tenner extra they would be making a huge mistake in my eye's

sky+ is a tenner
    sky multi room is a tenner
    so i reckon skyHD will be the same...

3. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The "HD" in "Sky HD" will probably stand for Hunk of Dosh...

Based on how long Sky took to adopt widescreen on movies, sport and Sky One; how long they have taken to hardly use 5.1 audio; and how long pretty fundamental problems with Sky+ have been around...

...I predict, at least for a while, Sky HD will be an over-priced, under-featured piece of technology that won't tempt most of us. Certainly not after our Sky+ experiences...

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It really depends on how many channels you get, and what's on it (or them).

5. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    It makes sense to me if the main 5 channels each simulcasted an HD version of their channels on Sky (like in Oz although terriestrially) What we want is home grown productions in HD not the US tripe Sky is going to show

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

No, that's what you want.

Give me Las Vegas, Deadwood, Rescue Me, Cold Case, Enterprise, SG1, Atlantis, Nip/Tuck, Dead Like Me, 24 etc etc in High Def over the UK programming we get from the BBC and the rest of the terrestrial channels.
    Add on the Law&Order franchise, the CSI shows and a dozen other high quality US imports on CH4/E4, Living, Scifi, Hallmark and you have a line up that wipes the floor with the UK sourced material.

If I wanted to watch what the main five channels churn out I wouldn't have been a SKY subscriber for the last 13 years:)

Having said all that millions of people tune in every night to watch the endless garbage that is on terrestrial telly, so many people surely can't be wrong or incapable of reading a TV guide or pressing any button other than 1-5 on the remote?
    :D

7. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yep i would much prefer the above to most uk garbage. Bar one or two good shows little britian, officie etc uk tv is crap. Unless you like shows like big brother celeb wrestling im mean what the fudge is all that about. I would much prefer us dramas and cop shows like law & order csi and sopranos etc in hd. I would pay maybe £10-20 extra to get some of these shows and a movie and sports channel in hd. But i have a feeling sky hd maybe over priced to start with. But i will keep my fingers crossed for a nice price. :smashin:

8. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    im not interested in any 'entertainment' tv, just HD the footy and movies and i think most people will be happy! oh and the simpsons if poss :thumbsup:

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    what do you mean by lack of features ? if your referring to what it written above then im sure you wont be dissapointed. High Def HAS to be widescreen by standard and must incorporate a DD track. this may still be 2.0 but in most cases it isnt. so i dont get what you mean by lack of features. if your talking like interactive i for one couldnt give a toss as long as the movies and footy are in HD i'll be ordering rigth away

10. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Fair pricing doesn't enter their equations. It will be priced at whatever 'the market' will take. Early adopters are usually wealthier than most. I reckon you'll be looking at £49.95/month or more to start off with.

Mike.

11. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not necessarily on the widescreen part. Consider that old shows that were filmed but shown in 4:3 could also be redone in HD in those proportions and would lack any advanced audio. Something like HD Star Trek or HD Mission Impossible. New stuff of course is 16:9 widescreen, which is what you probably meant.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It wouldn't surprise me to see a tier pricing structure as well with a lower additional cost for current SKYworld subscribers and perhaps even a standalone HD package which might attract new subscribers.

Considering the costs involved in having a suitable display and then the STB required you have to assume that as Flimber says the first few thousand subscribers are those that may pay for the service even if they think it's a little too high:)

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think the OP meant that the first version of any product often lacks the extra facilities offered by the 2nd-generation product. Look at the current range of HDTV's...... many of them have 3 SCART sockets, and ONE HDCP socket. About as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

14. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might think im crazy but i actually think for new customers it will be as cheap as sky +, there is a limit as to what people will pay for things these days, and the only reason of improved picture will not sell loads of subscriptions.

I here james murdoch's main focus at the moment it building his subsriber base, and then improving the service over time, and if this is correct hd will be either the same price at sky + if not free with such a subscription. Its taken for granted the faithfull long term customers will get stung, this is why i plan to cancel the contract and reopen in my g/f's name at the end of the year :D :D

15. thegeby

thegeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Isn't our discussion a bit comic as most of us have just paid 2000+ quids for the monitor necessary for HDTV?

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you're crazy ! Each HD channel is going to take up 4x as much transponder space as a SD channel, and these transponders cost loads to rent. There will be enough new interest on the release date for Murdoch to charge what he wants. The special deals for new subscribers will come when the initial interest has waned.

17. thegeby

thegeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I think you are forgetting that HD will be in MPEG-4. If you do the math, you will find that one satellite slot such as 28.2 or 19.2 with a possible Ku-band bandwidth of 1.8 GHz and separation between vertical and horizontal polarisation, translates into a bandwidth of roughly 4.5 Gb/s or ~500 HD channels.

(Actually, if you stacked all the "European slots" you could transmit somewhere between 55000 and 65000 SD channels, a dream for square-eyes. :eek: )

It is hugely costly to put a satellite into orbit, but there is, if anything, going to be a glut in transponder capacity. For the fashionable slots, like Astra's, this will not be too dramatic, but you can probably rent an "unpopular trensponder form much less than you think.

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yes :D

Which SKY knows all too well.
    The intial subscribers will already own an expensive display (or going to buy one) is probably over equipped for SD and DVD source material and they/we (me:) )are just waiting for broadcast HD :)

I have no doubts that SKY will charge a very tidy packet for the current subscribers who upgrade plus any new subscribers until such time (just as SKY+) the take up is seen to have levelled out and then the marketing bods introduce their incentives which include cheaper hardware and offers for people taking HD along with multiroom etc.

As with all new technology you buy in early and pay the premium or sit back and wait, it's your money.

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, I'm not sure that you and I are on the same planet, but here goes. Sky don't own satellites, Astra (amongst others) do. Sky merely rent transponder space on those satellites.

Are you seriously suggesting that there will be a glut in transponder space ? I'm not sure what the situation will be in other countries, but all the channels in the Sky lineup will continue to transmit in SD for some time to come. HD channels will be in addition to the stuff already there. As Europe takes up HD, the demand will increase. There's hardly enough space in the 28.2E position for more than half-a-dozen HD channels, which leads me to suspect that there won't be that many channels in the line-up to start with. Don't forget that many of the transponders are not used for public broadcasting, but are there for uplinks by broadcasters for their own use (like OB's).

Maybe AVForums should start a sweepstake for the Sky+HD fee, with a prize for the nearest entry ? I'd take a guess at £35 a month for two HD channels, and that's in addition to the exisiting SD fees.

20. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Here goes.....

Additional £10 a month for current SKYworld subscribers which gives you..
    SKY Movies HD
    SKY Sports HD
    SKY 1 HD
    Discovery HD
    HD1/HD2 and possible HD3 and HD4 at a later date.
    Guest HD channel for third party broadcasters.
    PPV HD channel for SBO
    PPV HD channel for other one off events

Tier pricing structure based on the existing SD channel package a subscriber has as well as a standalone HD package (£35 would be ballpark) to tempt those who consider SKY beneath them but consider HD to be a status symbol:)

21. thegeby

thegeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    There is room for about 120 transponders at 28.2. SKY occupies 64 if I count right, some more widely spaced than normal. This includes 61? channels dedicated to PPV, of which some no doubt will be reallocated to HD. I would also not be surprised if SKY has pre-emptive rights to transponders with regards to some of the shopping and religious channels, being the major customer of Astra. In addition to this there is transponder space in the upper 10s and lower 11s GHz. I would need convincing to believe that SKY is squeezed for space, instead of holding just the amount they want for the moment.

Uplinks do not happen in the valuable 10.7-12.5 GHz. That would just waste your income potential.

22. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,340
    HD is a term to describe either 1080 &/or 720. Both are 16:9/Widescreen in dimensions (1080x1920 & 720x1280) so therefore no new material will be 4:3. Any old material will need to be re-scanned from the film-Negative and re-mastered as HD. With this in mind the only material I can see getting this treatment will be feature films. Old episodes of Star Trek e.t.c will probably never be truly HD but upscaled instead.

23. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I only count about 40 ? Many of these are only "half-transponders", with other companies using the rest. Sky are undoubtably one of Astra's biggest customers, and I'm sure that gives them a lot of leverage. Unfortunately for Astra, they do not have the 28.2E slot to themselves, because Eurobird also have a satellite in the same slot. There are a lot of private feeds in the 12.5 to 12.6GHz range.

Information taken from Lyngsat

24. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been watching HD for years now so I am familiar with what the resolutions are and the dimensions they are produced and broadcast in. ;)

Of course all new HD material is widescreen but what I was simply saying is that old shows that were originally filmed and shown in 4:3 could also be reproduced in HD while retaining the orginal 4:3 format. I believe Zoom (an American HD satellite service that is currently shutting down) showed some older shows in HD in the manner that I am desribing. Old episodes of Star Trek, along with all other shows that were filmed, can easily be transfered into an HD version with no upscaling as film has much higher resolution than HD. It's already been done for some shows.

25. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    There is also a possibility that Sky will use DVB-S2 rather than DVB-S as their modulation scheme for their HD service, which squeezes more basic data out of a transponder.

So not only is MPEG4 being used, which requires less data bandwith than MPEG2 to deliver the same resolution/quality level, or can deliver an improved resolution/quality picture in the same data bandwith - but if DVB-S2 is also used you will get more data bandwith per transponder as well.

So more data and higher quality pictures in the same RF space. I don't think things are at the level where you can squeeze the same number of HD MPEG4 services into a DVB-S2 transponder as SD MPEG2 services into a DVB-S transponder - but neither is it 4:1 either.

26. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My concern is more about which types of material they broadcast in HD. If they waste the HD stuff on football or indeed any other sport I won't take up the HD subscription at all. If they focus on movies and some of the entz that could really benefit from it (nature, CSI!) I will happily pay a premium. No doubt I am in minority. Just got SKY+ to tide me over, which is fine - I won't upgrade to SKY HD until they supply HD stuff I want to watch - though I am waiting for a Panny 37 500 and will explore my DVD collection on 720p first.

27. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    WASTE on football, HOW DARE YOU :smashin:

i for one (as stated before) am not intrested in watch soaps (uk or us) in HD, films and sport only will get my money...

28. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    This is going to be Sky's problem...... lots of people want HD, but don't necessarily want to see the same stuff on it. With a limited number of channels at the start, it's going to be hard to keep everyone satisfied.